Official Review: The Disembodied by Anthony Hains

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Disembodied by Anthony Hains

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Disembodied" by Anthony Hains.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Disembodied by Anthony Hains is a psychological thriller of just over 300 pages. The book is free to read with a Kindle Unlimited subscription. It is available to buy as either a paperback book or an e-book with a price of $14.99 and $3.49 respectively.

Griffin suffers from something his psychologist calls depersonalization disorder. Sometimes he feels like he's floating above himself even while brushing his teeth or sitting on the beach. Lately, he's even taken to seeing a red-headed boy named Simon. His Aunt Veronica thinks that he's under attack from an evil spirit; she even wants to have her pastor perform an exorcism on him. His mother, however, puts a little more faith in the psychological than the religious. Still, Griffin seems to be getting worse. Other than his psychologist, the only people that he can confide in are his grandfather (Soren) and his cousin (Tanner.)

The plot of this book is quite fascinating and kept me guessing throughout. With a book like this, I can't summarize too much without giving the whole novel away. Therefore, you are going to have to trust me when I say that there are twists and turns you won't see coming. There have been quite a few endeavors by authors into the psychological genre; some successful, while others not so much. Mr. Hains, being a psychologist himself, very successfully delves into the mysteries of the mind.

This book is mainly told from the third person point of view. However, there is a chapter that begins each of the three sections in this book in first person point of view. These chapters are from the perspective of Soren given in a narrator fashion. It's very easy to follow along with which character is talking which makes the book accessible to most readers.

The characters were very realistic. I found myself disliking the bad guys while empathizing with Griffin in what he suffers. Since the story is mainly focused around Griffin, he was my favorite character. The secondary characters didn't come into play much, other than his cousin Tanner; yet, since this is more a story of the mind, this didn't present a problem.

I have only two small possibly negative items that I would like to point out about this book. First, the first forty percent or so of the book almost comes across as simply one boy's struggles with his life. I see no way around this with a plot line of this nature, and I was still interested in finding out what was going to happen. Yet, I was starting to think that this was simply another coming of age story when the tide turned. Second, there are some very graphic elements to this book in the nature of violence and abuse. I believe that Mr. Hains told the story with due delicacy, but this might be too much for those with a weak stomach.

Overall, I very much enjoyed this book. I rate The Disembodied 4 out of 4 stars. There were very few errors, the plot kept me guessing and invested in the book and the characters practically leaped off the page. I would highly recommend this story to those that enjoy the psychological thriller genre.

The Disembodied
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

Thanks for the review. I find books based on psychology interesting but I'm not sure I'm up for the graphic elements in the book.
peace starts with a smile...
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Snowflake, this had a kind of Sixth Sense (the movie) feel to it (although it was definitely different than that.) However, there are some moments that are not for the queasy or faint of heart. Thanks for the comment. :)
—Neil Gaiman
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

You're welcome and thanks for the additional info!
peace starts with a smile...
Kipronogeoffrey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kipronogeoffrey »

Thank you so much for the review. I am honestly a fan of books relating to psychology and for sure this goes along to quench my thirst for it.
jeezel kenea
Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele

Post by jeezel kenea »

the review was quite intreasting although i am not really a huge fan of psyco fan but i seem to have an intreast in you.nice work

Post by 0704574093 »

Thank you very much for the review tough new here I have gained something from the book of disembodied
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks everyone. I hope you guys enjoy it.
—Neil Gaiman
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I Googled depersonalization disorder as I had never heard of it. Based on the description, this sounds like a very interesting book. However, I'm not sure about reading it due to the graphic elements. Would you say the type of violence is comparable to such horror works as The Exorcist or Carrie? Thanks for such a through review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I'm interested in books that dives into the human psyche. I'm not a big fan of psychological thrillers but this one seems interesting.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Allen Christian Balt

Post by Allen Christian Balt »

Honestly iam not a fan of some psychological trillers.. But this one connects me because my cousin is having an psycological disorder iam hoping that if he read this he will overcome his illness.. I like this book
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

This sounds like a very interesting book to read. I do not mind reading psychology books and i want to give this one a try and see if i can handle the graphic elements. Nice review.
PreciousGem

Post by PreciousGem »

Interesting. I would probably read this book
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Spirit Wandering wrote:I Googled depersonalization disorder as I had never heard of it. Based on the description, this sounds like a very interesting book. However, I'm not sure about reading it due to the graphic elements. Would you say the type of violence is comparable to such horror works as The Exorcist or Carrie? Thanks for such a through review.
It's not necessarily violence like the exorcist or carrie. It's more of situations of abuse as well as some graphic descriptions of blood and such. Hope that helps you decide whether to read this or not! Thanks.

-- 29 Jun 2017, 08:12 --
Amagine wrote:I'm interested in books that dives into the human psyche. I'm not a big fan of psychological thrillers but this one seems interesting.

Great Review! ?
Thanks Amagine. This was definitely a bit different from the norm. If you try it, let me know!
—Neil Gaiman
AYISHA_ASH
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayisha-ash.html
Latest Review: "My Mother Called Me UNNI" by Dr. Venugopal K. Menon

Post by AYISHA_ASH »

This sounds like a unique plot. I would love to read it. Thank you for the review.
Latest Review: "My Mother Called Me UNNI" by Dr. Venugopal K. Menon

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”