Official Review: The Big Cheese Festival

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Official Review: The Big Cheese Festival

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Big Cheese Festival" by S. Jackson & A. Raymond.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Big Cheese Festival by S. Jackson and A. Raymond is a children’s picture book about Stubby Mouse and his friends getting ready for the Big Cheese Festival. All of the mice look forward to the festival every year. They all get dressed up and bring their favorite cheeses. Stubby Mouse and his brother, Zippy Mouse, are getting ready at their house. When Zippy Mouse’s friend Cutter Mouse comes to pick him up, things take a turn for the worse. Cutter Mouse begins making fun of Stubby Mouse because he has a short tail. Will Stubby Mouse let the bully ruin his night?

I enjoyed reading this children’s book and thought it was a great story. I loved the lesson that this book taught. There was a very clear message against bullying in this book. Bullying is a huge topic in today’s society, and I think that the book did a great job relaying its message in a way that kids would understand. Stubby Mouse was being bullied because of the way he looked. The other mice did not let the bully get away with it, but they were not mean back to the bully. I thought it was the perfect way to deal with the “villain” in this book.

While the overall story was good, there were a few parts that I didn’t really think fit with the book's target age group. One of my main concerns was that the mice in the book had boyfriends and girlfriends. I know that this is a fact of life, but I think that this type of content is a little mature for such a young audience. The story would have been just as good if they had talked about the mice as friends.

Another aspect that I wasn’t very fond of was the pictures. I thought that the pictures were very basic. They seemed to be computer-generated illustrations that didn’t change much from page to page. They were cute, but I would have liked to see them tell the story more. Because this is a children’s book, the story that the pictures tell is important. A child should be able to get the story from looking at the pictures, but that wasn’t the case with this book.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. Overall, it was a cute children’s book. I didn’t see any errors throughout the book, and it had a great message. I would recommend it for preschool kids. The writing was right at their level. However, certain parts of it weren’t quite right for the intended age group of this book. The pictures were too basic, and the use of relationships was a little mature for that age group. Because of this, I couldn’t give the book a perfect score.

The Big Cheese Festival
View: on Bookshelves

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I totally agree with you that in this children's book the idea of girlfriend and boyfriend should have been left out and the characters introduced as friends. Nice review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the illustrations. Illustrations are such an integral part of a book for children of this age. Still, it seems like a cute story. Maybe the drawings can be updated. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

Thank you for the comments!
sheilajepkoech
Currently Reading: Severed Threads
Bookshelf Size: 19