Grammatical error in review, but directly from book?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

WordHound
Currently Reading: The Elf Brief
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordhound.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Grammatical error in review, but directly from book?

Post by WordHound »

I reviewed Raven's Peak and, in the book, "The" is capitalized before "The Ninth Circle" and "The Council", but in my review it as counted as a grammatical error. Are we supposed to be strictly grammatically correct at all times even if it contradicts the book we are reviewing?
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

You should contact Scott about this.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

WordHound wrote:I reviewed Raven's Peak and, in the book, "The" is capitalized before "The Ninth Circle" and "The Council", but in my review it as counted as a grammatical error. Are we supposed to be strictly grammatically correct at all times even if it contradicts the book we are reviewing?
Did you have it in italics to identify it as part of the title? That would help the editor to distinguish it from the rest of the review. Definitely contact Scott on this one, especially if it was clearly part of the title, in italics.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

WordHound wrote:I reviewed Raven's Peak and, in the book, "The" is capitalized before "The Ninth Circle" and "The Council", but in my review it as counted as a grammatical error. Are we supposed to be strictly grammatically correct at all times even if it contradicts the book we are reviewing?
Hi :) 'the' is, in fact, not capitalized in the book when referring to 'the Ninth Circle' or 'the Council' in the narrative context. If, in your review, you were referring to these as the book title of the author's other books, then yes, 'the' would be capitalized. Here are some specific examples from Raven's Peak (Kindle edition) to exemplify the word 'the' not being capitalized:

Loc 154 of the Kindle Edition: "What does the Council want you to do?"

Location 155 of the Kindle Edition: "I'm afraid that it'll be too late by the time the Council decides to act."

Location 149 of the Kindle Edition: "What took them? Was it the Ninth Circle?"
WordHound
Currently Reading: The Elf Brief
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordhound.html

Post by WordHound »

Just double-checked, looks like the instances where I remembered it being capitalized were the beginning of sentences. :gaah: My bad.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

WordHound wrote:Just double-checked, looks like the instances where I remembered it being capitalized were the beginning of sentences. :gaah: My bad.
lol that's okay! We all make mistakes :) Just trying to be helpful and informative... try to think of 'grammatical errors' as advice for future writing and not as a 'gotcha' type of thing. BUT, that being said, if you strongly disagree with an editor's assessment, you should definitely reach out :tiphat:
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

WordHound wrote:Just double-checked, looks like the instances where I remembered it being capitalized were the beginning of sentences. :gaah: My bad.
Ha ha..
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Return to “International Grammar”