Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Emmanuel Ameachi
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 47

Re: Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Post by Emmanuel Ameachi »

please I have problem opening file,just be patient ...i need to down load on a good device
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 469
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

Good guide. I was just asking, why cant novels be distributed in pdf formats via email and such? Just asking
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Mary Wairimu wrote:am unable to open the book can i get it in PDF
"Mary Wairimu" For help in this forum topic, you must answer all the numbered questions in the first post of this topic.

---

Terily wrote:
Terily wrote:1. Supposed to be .mobi but says download.php
2. iPhone 7 plus
3. No

This file will not open or send to kindle app when I open it in chrome because it is a php file I get the script page for the review page I was on to download the book. Is there a reason for this? Can You help me?
Thank you
@Terily Can you walk me through exactly what happens when you try to download the file which leads to to getting the php file instead of the mobi file? Like are you trying to open the link in a new tab? Are you long-clicking it? The more details the better.

@Scott
When I click the link on the download page of this website it shows another page with a picture of a file with the extension .php and the word download in and then from my phone which is what I am using an Apple IPhone 7 plus I must select an app in which to download or open with and when I select my Kindle app it says it's the wrong file type but if I open it choosing the Chrome Browser Icon it shows the skeleton or script page from this website of the page I was downloading from. And no I was not long clicking on my phone. I hope this helps because I tried it twice the same day within a matter of minutes with the same result each time.

Thank you for your help and if I am unable to get this resolved may I please have a PDF version?
@Terily I think what you need to do is save the file to your downloads folder somehow and then move the file. I don't think you can download it directly to an app.

Ebe Read wrote:Hi Scott, tried to download the Nook app for windows but I have window 7 and Nook only downloads on 8 or 10. Please can I have the book in PDF?
"Ebe Read" " For help in this forum topic, you must answer all the numbered questions in the first post of this topic.

Heatherj wrote:I tried opening the book with epub and it will not open. The last book I opened with PDF, and I had no problems. I am using a laptop and I downloaded Calibre, but I am still having problems. Can I rather download another book?
@Heatherj For help in this forum topic, you must answer all the numbered questions in the first post of this topic.

Salmaty wrote:Can not find a pdf version. It says pdb and it does not open on my tab4
@Salmaty For help in this forum topic, you must answer all the numbered questions in the first post of this topic.

Lroach wrote:1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)?
ePub
2. What device are using to try to open it?
iPad
3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before?

No, this is my first attempt to download and review a book.

4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file.

I have downloaded both Kindle and Nook apps.
It has downloaded as a .php file on the browser.
Nook is not popping up as an option to open it in and I am unsure of how to fix that.

5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?

It downloads onto my device but I am unable to associate it with the Nook app.

6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message?
No

7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps.

I am on an IPad so I downloaded both the Nook and the Kindle apps. I am unsure of how to associate the Nook app with a file. I have also attempted to open it in other ePub readers on my IPad such as iTunes library and that was also unsuccessful. Several pages of code appear instead. I am not using an Android or a desktop so I did not attempt to use Ebook reader or the Calibre applications.
@Lroach The "Top Tips" in the first post in this topic should advise that you want to move the file after downloading it into the 'books' subfolder in the Nook app on your device.

Heatherj wrote:1: epub
2: Lap top and Samsung phone
.3: Yes. The last book opened with no problem
I have downloaded calibre which has not helped.
I need the answers to all the numbered questions, not just the first three.

Esaveni Govender wrote:1. I downloaded the book in epud format.
2. I downloaded a "epud reader" on my blackberry phone.
3. Yes-I read "Raven's Peak" on my phone in the epud format and I read it in my "epud reader".
4. My download goes to download. I then open epud files in my "epud reader".
5. The file is downloaded in my "epud reader". It opens the chapters appear. But I can't open the chapters.
6. Yes- I get a error message. It says "ERROR file not found".
7. Yes- I tried the top tip. My phone does not support the "free nook apps and the free kindle apps".
@"Esaveni Govender" It's possible the links in the Table of Contents aren't working. Are you able to just flip the pages to get to the first chapter?

gracelyn Lynch wrote:I have not been able to review the book I choose because it won't download it's just frustrating.... so I got someone to check my computer for me it just not compatible with the Apps that I have on my computer will have to update.
@"gracelyn Lynch" For help in this topic, you must answer all the numbered questions in the first post.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Esaveni Govender
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esaveni-govender.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Esaveni Govender »

1. No - I can't open the first chapter or chapters.
Izzabella_924
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Izzabella_924 »

. ive used the epub format on my android phone. and its my first time opening a file in this format which is unsuccessful at the moment. I have tried downloading kindle instead because nook wasnt available in my country. cant donwload it. I tried with kindle and redownload the file but still nothing. the ebook can be downloaded however when I try to click it the error goes "cant open file". please help, thank you :-)
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Samuel Waragu wrote:Good guide. I was just asking, why cant novels be distributed in pdf formats via email and such? Just asking

I would think the publisher & author determine the format that they desire to distribute, not Scott or OBC.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Esaveni Govender wrote:1. No - I can't open the first chapter or chapters.
@"Esaveni Govender" What happens exactly when you try to turn the page? Note, I don't mean click the links in the Table of Contents, but instead manually flip the page.

Izzabella_924 wrote:. ive used the epub format on my android phone. and its my first time opening a file in this format which is unsuccessful at the moment. I have tried downloading kindle instead because nook wasnt available in my country. cant donwload it. I tried with kindle and redownload the file but still nothing. the ebook can be downloaded however when I try to click it the error goes "cant open file". please help, thank you :-)
@"Izzabella_924" The Kindle App can't open epub files. For that you need to use one of the other apps named in the first post in this topic. Then you will need to either associate the file type with the app somehow or move the file into the correct subfolder in the app. More detailed instructions are in the first post in this topic.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Lroach

Post by Lroach »

Scott, as I put in my previous post, I had went through all of the steps on the "Top Tips" page and I am still unable to open it up in my Nook app. I am not given the option to open it under any of the folders within the app. No errors are presented it just never shows up.
Esaveni Govender
Currently Reading:

I can't flip the pages. When I try it says -"ERROR file not found".
I also can't update my status to submit a "error". I only come back to the "update status" page over and over and over. Tried so many times.
Donnia Bomai

Post by Donnia Bomai »

1. epup
2. computer
3. no
4. Clicked link to download book. Open file and message "windows can't open this file".
5. First time to try this file type. I don't have problems with pdf format.
6. windows can't open this file type
7. Yes. tried nook but messaged" this app does not work on your device.
Esaveni Govender
Currently Reading:

I can't open the page manualy. Its says "ERROR file not download".
I tried every way to open the book. But I can't.
I can't update my status too.
I keep coming back to the page " upgrade status"l
I clicked on "error report". But it doesn't go. Comes back to same page.
Please can I change my format to "pdf or mobi". Or can I choose a new book.
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Post by Lennycat »

Hello,

I need assistance please:

1. NOOK gift

2. I tried downloading the book using my iMac and my iPhone 6

3. Yes, I have been previously successful using both.

4. I just clicked the link and it either went immediately to my Kindle or iBooks or I read PDFs in Adobe Acrobat.

5. It goes wrong immediately by not downloading after you click the download link. I get an error message.

6. "The page you requested can't be found-sorry about that! Please check the URL and try again, or click on a department to continue shopping.

7. I don't think I got this far, because I was unable to download from the beginning.

Thanks! Look forward to your advice.
Esaveni Govender
Currently Reading:

I have sent so many msg that book I downloaded in "epud"format is not opening.
I can only open the chapters. I can't open the page or the first chapter.
I tried it says ERROR -file not found.
Its like the book is blank.
Please let me change my format. Or can I choose a new book.
I tried so many times.
Please help. Its frustrating.
Stella Kageni Muriuk
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Stella Kageni Muriuk »

I was unable to download the book.
Maal

Post by Maal »

Llengrace wrote:Good day...
I'm having a difficulty opening the ebook files..
1. Epub
2. Android phone
3. No
4. Read the top tips.try the nook app
5. Unable to find and install the app
6. Unable to find application to perform this action(for the ebook file)
7.yes..

If possible,may i have the copy in a pdf form?

Thank you

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”