Official Review: Maram by DR.Abdulrahman Saied Abubaker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Official Review: Maram by DR.Abdulrahman Saied Abubaker

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Maram" by DR.Abdulrahman Saied Abubaker.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Maram by Dr. Abdulrahman Saied Abubaker revolves around Maram who is just one of the many victims of the Syrian Civil War. In one of the raidings by the Syrian Army, Maram gets taken as a hostage. The treatment that was given to her was very bad and brutal which ultimately got her to the hospital. Upon seeing her condition, her brother, a leader in the war decides to send her to another country through a refugee boat. In spite of being the sister of a leader, the journey to Germany was not going to be easy. Maram is a short 16 pages book about the tragic journey of a young woman in her quest to gain freedom. I cannot tell more about the plot as that would mean giving away spoilers.

Before I begin telling more about what I thought about this book, I would like to state that the author has done a good job in trying to write a book which brings to our awareness the various problems, troubles, losses of lives and other disturbing things some people face in this world, especially in Syria. This novella, with all its unexpected plot twists would have been a really good one had it not been for the things I am going to state now.

The first thing I noticed when I opened this book was that it was completely written in capital letters. I didn’t have a problem with that but I started having some when I read the first line- “ALGHOUTA EAST FO DAMASCUS WAS IN LACK OF ELECTRICITY AND CLEAN WATER COOKING GAS CLINDERS WERE VRY RAE TO FIND.” This is exactly how the first line of this novella is written. By the second line, I headed over to Amazon to read the sample but was truly exasperated to find that the sample was also exactly like this.

The book description that was posted on Amazon was also riddled with grammatical errors, incorrect punctuations and typos-a problem I faced throughout the book. I usually don’t spot many grammatical errors as English is my second language, but I am quite sure that I shall be able to spot a mistake in almost every sentence of this book. The author also rarely used commas and did not enter a space after a full stop. The silly errors which were made leads me to believe that the author didn’t re-read a line even once after typing it down. The synopsis of this book (in Amazon) also narrated the entire story in short which left no suspense.

I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. The frequency of the errors, typos and other mistakes hinders me from giving it any more. The low rating given was solely because of the errors. I would recommend that the author should read his own book a couple of times and edit it as much as possible. After this, an editor could make this book a good read. The synopsis should also be completely revised as it is also riddled with errors and gives too much of the book away. Right now, I do not recommend this book to anybody.

Maram
View: on Bookshelves

Like Wasif Ahmed's review? Post a comment saying so!
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

A book entirely written in capital letters is a real oddity that will make reading very difficult. The subject matter is fine, but obviously the delivery does not make it worth the while to read. The review might have been easy though, since it is only 16 pages. If it was not in capital letters it could have been probably just 8 pages.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your well-written, honest review. The first line of the book you quoted is amazingly bad. Hopefully, the author will take your constructive criticism and use an editor in the future.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thank you. I will keep away from it to avoid wasting my time. I wonder how much can be written in a book of 16 pages when the story in this case would have been very captivating.
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Thanks!
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
nareadyns
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nareadyns.html
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch

Post by nareadyns »

Thanks.

I kinda like the story and will still go for the book.

I get the feeling that the author might not have written the book in English at all. That the translation of the book might not have been done by professionals. This could explain how the English version of the book will come out with such mistakes, grammatical rules are not the same in all languages.

Just because of the story and because I wanna learn more about what is happening to our world today, I will take time to read it.

Thanks
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I think reading an entire book written in capital letters would give me a headache. I hope that some changes are made. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I enjoyed your honest review. Hopefully this is something the author can take as constructive criticism and improve their writing in the future.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

nareadyns wrote:Thanks.

I kinda like the story and will still go for the book.

I get the feeling that the author might not have written the book in English at all. That the translation of the book might not have been done by professionals. This could explain how the English version of the book will come out with such mistakes, grammatical rules are not the same in all languages.

Just because of the story and because I wanna learn more about what is happening to our world today, I will take time to read it.

Thanks
There was nothing written on the book which said that this was a translation @nareadyns . Thanks for reading my review though.

-- 20 Jun 2017, 05:15 --
kandscreeley wrote:Wow! I think reading an entire book written in capital letters would give me a headache. I hope that some changes are made. Thanks for the review.
You're welcome. :tiphat:

-- 20 Jun 2017, 05:15 --
klbradley wrote:I enjoyed your honest review. Hopefully this is something the author can take as constructive criticism and improve their writing in the future.
Thanks @klbradley :tiphat:
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Nice review. To be honest when I read that this book is completely written in capital letters I got confused. Then that line from the book, Oh my God! It actually makes no sense. Hats off to your patience.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
Anthony Apoki
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anthony Apoki »

:D I really enjoyed the book. :lol: :lol:
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Its sad that this book wasn't properly edited. We need more books like this. Books that move us to be more compassionate. Thank you for your review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”