Official Review: 55 Years on Campus by Detra enman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: 55 Years on Campus by Detra enman

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "55 Years on Campus" by Detra enman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If I'm going to be honest, I didn't expect much from 55 Years on Campus by Detra Enman. I figured it would be decent, but my first thought was that it would be a bit dry. Boy was I wrong! Detra's "nonpolitically correct journey" as she refers to it is a humorous, entertaining ride from beginning to end. Dee (the author) pulls no punches as we go along for the ride from joining the Air Force at 18 to her life as a flight attendant on private jets. All of this explores her "campus life", aka her lifetime of learning.

The majority of the stories are in chronological order after the first few, and most are only a page or two long. This makes the book fantastic for those who don't have a lot of time to read all at once. I was also pleasantly surprised by how many of the stories were good or even great. One or two of the stories weren't quite up to par, but they certainly weren't bad either. Each of the stories starts with something like "This part of my campus life I will call [whatever]", and several of the stories end with a lesson she learned from the tale. These range from being careful who to prank, the importance of the golden rule or not to make mountains out of molehills.

Even several hours after reading 55 Years on Campus I can remember some of my favorite stories. Throughout much of Dee's career she was an administrative "puke" - someone who was put in charge of taking care of what needed to be done. At one point in Germany they're on a float, tossing candy she purchased out to the crowds in a parade, but she ends up confused why people are throwing it back! Eventually she realizes her mistake - she accidentally bought menthol cough drops! In another, one of the more serious tales, she and some others are selling burgers when planes from the US and Italy accidentally collided in the sky near them. First the civilians ran away, then the first responders came, then looters came and stole things from the victims before the mourners and curious came. Looters so soon after such a horrible event where 30 died and 356 were injured! There are also a few good ones about POW training early in the book that show off the rest of the book's weaving of humor and education on Air Force practices.

While the author does use a fair amount of military slang, she makes it all clear what it means as she goes. I'd heard some of these elsewhere, but picked up at least one new one that Dee uses throughout the book in different ways - WTFO. While its original meaning contains an expletive (the more-familiar WTF with "over" at the end for those speaking on radio and such), she changes the abbreviation repeatedly to fit different situations like "why the freeze over" or "why the fear over". The style she uses is incredibly formal, even using "LOL" twice! Normally I find using chat slang in writing annoying, but here it just added to the laid back, listening to stories over some beers style she uses. Unfortunately, there are also hordes of grammatical errors here, and the book would have benefited from some serious editing.

55 Years on Campus was a load of fun to read. It was the perfect length (around 80 pages long) and nearly all of the bite-sized stories were enjoyable. It explored Dee's life in a way that was far more entertaining than a typical autobiography. The included collage photograph pages were also a nice touch, although due to the PDF format review copy I had they were quite pixelated upon zooming in enough to see them. The lack of editing is the only thing holding me back from giving it a perfect rating, forcing me instead to give it 3 out of 4 stars. There is a bit of crudeness in the book that holds me back from recommending it to kids, but adults who have held jobs or other folks in the armed services (Air Force especially!) will be the ones who enjoy it anyway.

55 Years on Campus
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do like books that I can read in small doses. This sounds perfect. I love that there is humor mixed in with the stories. Thanks for the book. I'll have to look into it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Frances Reid
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Frances Reid »

This reviewer, surly enjoyed reading this book.
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

I've added the book to my list, for reading. The 80 pages will make reading quick, and I believe I will learn much about military matters, and the life of the author. Autobiographies are a good mix to read alongside fiction. I like the review, and the mirror view it provides into the book.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Rey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rey.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Rey »

Thanks for the review. Definitely going to check this out.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
jezzy_ssel
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jezzy-ssel.html

Post by jezzy_ssel »

I will be adding this book. Your review seems like you really enjoyed the book. Thank you!
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

I enjoyed reading your review. Detra's story seems very interesting. Will add this to my shelves.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
krizia

Post by krizia »

This is a very nice book. Just read and you will be amazed :D
Innosmith
Currently Reading: The Mindfulness Approach
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Innosmith »

That book is really nice.You will enjoy reading it.
JAtoms
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Socerer's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by JAtoms »

I think the reviewer enjoyed this book, it's an 80 pages of fact about aviation, Gotta put this in my shelf.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It seems like an interesting book and I'm very interested in reading the author's stories. I also like the fact that it is a woman telling about her time while doing military service. That makes it even more intriguing.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
pristine woods me

Post by pristine woods me »

I think 55years on campus will be a good book for people who don't like read long written novels,and since it all about military stuffs it will be more interesting cos militarys are fun n good people to be with and their languages and term.s of speech will be fun to know
Thanks

-- 08 May 2017, 08:39 --

I think 55years on campus will be a good book for people who don't like read long written novels,and since it all about military stuffs it will be more interesting cos militarys are fun n good people to be with and their languages and term.s of speech will be fun to know
Thanks
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This actually sounds like an enjoyable read. I love books with short chapters and the premise is legit. Nice review.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I like the idea of an autobiography of the author in military. This sounds like a nice read with humor to go along with it. I will read this one. Thank you for the review.
Mariita

Post by Mariita »

I like the way it expresses issue of peserference.Betray very good characters like patient.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”