Official Review: Hidden: Nistar by Batya Casper

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Official Review: Hidden: Nistar by Batya Casper

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hidden: Nistar" by Batya Casper.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hidden: Nistar by Batya Casper is a compilation of two historical fiction stories set in the 1930s and 1940s of Israel and England.

In the first story, deceased Mrs. L has a story to tell. It involves a young girl, a mysterious woman, a locked storage closet, and death. Tikvah can not understand why no one will explain to her where she comes from or who her parents are. Meanwhile, Mr. and Mrs. L struggle to keep their secrets safe from her inquiries.

The second story is set in England during WWII. It depicts the life of a group of refugees living with an English family. Told in multiple perspectives, the story unfolds and captures the effects that the war had on Jews who relocated to safer countries, women who struggled to raise a family as well as care for refugees on their own, and children who had to grow up much too quickly.

At first, I was confused by there being two stories because the blurb does not mention the second story at all. Also, they are not separated in any way. You simply start a new chapter with a completely different set of characters. I kept thinking the stories would connect to each other in some way, but they didn’t. This annoyed me because I was immensely interested in the first story and felt like it did not have sufficient closure. I think that feeling could have been resolved by some simple formatting changes.

Aside from the lack of closure in the first story, I absolutely loved it. I was immediately drawn into this family’s story. It is narrated by Mrs. L who is actually dead. That alone immediately added to my curiosity. The mysterious past also kept me intrigued and longing to find out more. I enjoyed the characters. Several of them surprised me with their complexity by the end of the story.

The second story was not as mysterious as the first, but it hooked me nonetheless. The way the author captures the raw emotions of the different characters is gripping. I have never read a story about people who took in refugees during WWII and think it is an interesting and unique angle on a very popular time period.

What I love most about these stories is the author’s writing style. She comes up with such interesting ways to describe things which adds a richness to the time period and culture. I don’t think I will ever forget the way Mrs. L’s yearly “rising” takes place. Here is an example so you can get a feel for the author’s voice.
“Nineteen sixty-five was the year Mrs. L resigned from normal living, the year Tikvah turned nine. That was a year of uncertainty, for sure. Neither Mr. L nor Tikvah knew what to expect as the holiday season came around. Yet, lo and behold, ten days before the holidays, Tikvah’s grandmother stood up. Mr. L called it “Mrs. Lazamof’s rising.”
The book is well edited. I only came across one typo where a space is missing between the words “a table”. If the stories had been more clearly separated, I would have absolutely nothing negative to mention. The stories are delightful, intriguing, refreshing, and simply beautiful. Hidden: Nistar has definitely earned 4 out of 4 stars from me. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves a well-crafted historical fiction. The author is a gifted storyteller and I know I will be keeping my eyes out for more books by her.

Hidden: Nistar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rachaelamb1's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. The two story thing seems a little weird to me. I think I would spend a lot of time looking for some kind of connection. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it. I don't think it's the one for me, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

There are some books like this - with two or three stories running side by side. But usually, they converge somewhere by the end. This book looks interesting to earn the 4 stars. A good review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I think it would really bother me if the stories had no connections. Great review, but I might have to pass on this one!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

The fact that it has two separate stories sounds interesting. The only problem is whether or not both stories are well developed or not. I do like the concept though and considering the high rating you gave it, it must be a fascinating book.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Amagine wrote:The fact that it has two separate stories sounds interesting. The only problem is whether or not both stories are well developed or not. I do like the concept though and considering the high rating you gave it, it must be a fascinating book.

Great Review! ?
Though they do not connect, they are both well developed. I was emotionally pulled in by both.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I actually think I would have preferred the stories to connect even if it was in the slightest way. Maybe they share a very specific setting together or even a minor character found in both that does nothing but connect the stories by his presence.
I also agree with you that editing the format may smooth out the transition from one story to another.
After saying all of that, I still feel compelled to read this because of your very insightful review. Thanks.
pobox
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pobox »

Congratulation on 4 stars.
Dayang Siti Zuraida
Currently Reading: Superhighway 2
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Dayang Siti Zuraida »

Should teach our kids to read a lot of books!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like one great book. I may have a problem with the two separate stories, but since you seem to have gone through the book and enjoyed it, nonetheless, it must mean the book is very good. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Batya Casper on such an obviously well written book.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

This is the first time i have heard of two stories in one novel that are completely unrelated. You seemed to have enjoyed reading it though. Nice review

Return to “Historical Fiction”