Official Review: Justice for the Black Knight

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Official Review: Justice for the Black Knight

Post by dhomespot »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Justice for the Black Knight" by Jerri Blair.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Justice for the Black Knight by Jerri Blair is a legal thriller that will not let you put it down. It covers social injustice and how prejudices can ruin an innocent person’s life. This book is also about how a small act of kindness can go a long way toward changing attitudes.

The story revolves around Ruby, Annie, Daisy, and Freddie. They overcome their own personal prejudices to become friends and family. Daisy and Annie (mother and daughter) are white and new to the neighborhood. They are the only one of two white families in the neighborhood. Freddie and Ruby (brother and sister) have grown up on the block. Freddie has experienced racism so many times, it is hard for him to accept the friendship between Annie and Ruby.

Daisy is not sure at first if Annie and Ruby being friends is a good idea in the beginning. After meeting Ruby however, she begins to love the little girl like her own. Annie was not brought up as seeing skin tones making a difference in how to treat someone, so she had no problem being friends with those that are different than her.

Freddie is by far my favorite character. He knows first hand how cruel the world can be, and yet he tries so hard to be a better person. At first, he does not trust Annie. One simple gesture, a book being loaned to him, has him seeing things a little different. Once he reads a book about knights, he decides that is the way he wants to live and strives to do good in all things. Daisy also serves as a source of inspiration for him because she believes he can be so much more. He soon learns that sometimes, being good and doing good things does not always turn out favorably for him.

When Freddie ends up being found guilty of murder, it is up to Annie and Ruby to prove his innocence. This is where the Freddie’s story gets told and it will hold you in its grip. It was hard to keep in mind that most of the story takes place where racism was the norm. I could feel myself getting agitated on how the characters were treated. You can feel the strength of the characters coming through as you read how they do not let others pull them down.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars because the story is so gripping and heartfelt. There is so much more that I could put into this review, but the overall moral I think this book covers is that it is love, not race, that can save a person. I would recommend this book to everyone.

Justice for the Black Knight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like dhomespot's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not much into legal thrillers, but this sounds interesting nonetheless. I love when a story is entertaining and yet has a good moral. I might have to look at this one. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Sounds like the author does a good job portraying some real-life legal events. Glad you liked this one so much!
dhomespot

Post by dhomespot »

kandscreeley wrote:I'm not much into legal thrillers, but this sounds interesting nonetheless. I love when a story is entertaining and yet has a good moral. I might have to look at this one. Thanks.
I was not sure if I would like this book, but then I fell in love with the characters. This is one book where the characters do not feel fake, if that makes sense.

-- June 19th, 2017, 6:04 am --
MarisaRose wrote:Sounds like the author does a good job portraying some real-life legal events. Glad you liked this one so much!
You definitely get a feel of the social injustice that was prevalent during that time period.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
ebolen01
Currently Reading: Succubus Blues
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ebolen01 »

Your review of this book is so heartfelt and intriguing. Racial injustice just breaks my heart and to read your review about love and overcoming social boundaries makes me to want to order this book right away. Thank you for your review.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

It "is love, not race, that can save a person" for this line alone I would love to read this book. This sounds like a great legal thriller. Thank you for your review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
JOELEKURI
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by JOELEKURI »

Hmm would be really sure what to say about the book when i have read it through.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like one great book with very important message to impart. Though reading about racism and prejudice makes me feel sad and uncomfortable, this book seems like something I would enjoy. Good job on the review. Congratulations to Jerri Blair on such a high rating.
dhomespot

Post by dhomespot »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like one great book with very important message to impart. Though reading about racism and prejudice makes me feel sad and uncomfortable, this book seems like something I would enjoy. Good job on the review. Congratulations to Jerri Blair on such a high rating.
I feel the same way. It does make me sad to read about the prejudice that so many have faces, and it also makes me angry that those same prejudices are still happening in some form or another.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”