Fiction books written by African authors

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
pemb4274
Bookshelf Size: 0

Fiction books written by African authors

Post by pemb4274 »

I'm currently spending a lot of my time studying the politics of a range of countries across Sub-Saharan Africa. I have read plenty about the politics of the different countries, but feel I'd get a lot out of reading some of the fiction written in them to give me a new perspective of the places I read about every day.

Unfortunately, I'm finding it quite hard to find good recommendations beyond some authors I've already read, like Chinua Achebe and NoViolet Bulawayo (would really recommend checking out both, by the way!). If anyone has any suggestions, that'd be fantastic :) in particular, if anyone knows any good Tanzanian, Angolan or Rwandan writers that I might enjoy, I'd be very very grateful.

Cheers xx
Bad Macaw
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bad-macaw.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Bad Macaw »

Hello there,

I would suggest Ondjaki (Angola), Jose Eduardo Agualusa(Angola) and Mia Couto (Mozambique). We've always had books by these authors around the house, I grew up with their names and their words. I couldn't recommend them more!!

I have read these authors in Portuguese, but there are editions in English. You will find some beautiful writing in their books. I'm not sure how well Mia Couto translates to English, because he is known for making up his own words, a mixture of Portuguese and regional dialects.

I really need to reread them! Thank you for reminding me :D Let me know what you think if you do give them a try!

Edit: Almost forgot: Pepetela is another great Angolan writer
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I'm reading 'High Low In-Between' by Imraan Coovadia right now. It is a novel based in South Africa and is about the story of an Indian family.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Fuzee4
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 427

Post by Fuzee4 »

I don't know which country they're exactly, but Naguib Mahfouz, Abdulrazak Gurnah are both amazing African authors. Their books give you an insight of the continent and its history.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

Try reading The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith set in Botswana. He was born in Zimbabwe.
Patrick Nandi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patrick-nandi.html
Latest Review: Hidden: Nistar by Batya Casper

Post by Patrick Nandi »

I would recommend betrayal in the city by Prof. Francis Imbuga. He highlights well the challenges faced in African countries where ethnicity detects the services offered by government officials he also bring out how corruption is the biggest problem facing young African countries.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”