How much science with your fiction?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: How much science with your fiction?

Post by gali »

I love the genre. I don't mind the science as long as it isn't too technical.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Jaime Lync wrote:I totally understand what you mean Christina, I think I just want enough science in the book to help me understand how key theories came about in the story. It doesn't even have to be correct but I prefer an effort be done instead of the author saying that I won't be able to understand the science so he skips explaining.
I agree with this completely. I want just enough science to explain how it works, because it does kind of give off the impression that perhaps the author doesn't believe the readers can handle the science behind the story if it's just glossed over.

Though, when reading (or even watching sci-fi movies), if there is too much unknown terminology, then I am turned off. So, there is a unique balance for me.

Good question!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

hsimone wrote:
Jaime Lync wrote:I totally understand what you mean Christina, I think I just want enough science in the book to help me understand how key theories came about in the story. It doesn't even have to be correct but I prefer an effort be done instead of the author saying that I won't be able to understand the science so he skips explaining.
I agree with this completely. I want just enough science to explain how it works, because it does kind of give off the impression that perhaps the author doesn't believe the readers can handle the science behind the story if it's just glossed over.

Though, when reading (or even watching sci-fi movies), if there is too much unknown terminology, then I am turned off. So, there is a unique balance for me.

Good question!
I guess I understand that you don't want the science to come out of the blue. However, if it gets too technical it just goes over my head. For me, I don't have to know how the time machine works to enjoy seeing where they go in history or the future. :)
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
akruser13
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akruser13.html
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch

Post by akruser13 »

Ah, I actually enjoy science and research to an extent, but I'm certainly no scientist. As long as the story is good I can enjoy it either way, with or without a lot of scientific explanation, but I do like seeing an author really try to embrace that aspect of a universe. If they take the time to make some rule or action in their universe make sense using "real world" science in some way, it just goes that little extra level. It doesn't have to be true science or realistic, but if there are traces of realism that can be applied to our physics, I tend to appreciate it more.

That being said, if they go overboard and start spewing out big words and numbers and odd terminology that require ten pages to explain, I'm not as interested. If I'm reading fiction I don't want to feel like I'm reading a textbook, you know? So there has to be a balance between making a universe's science sound interesting and logical, but also not going so far as to throw it over an average reader's head.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

After reading the two comments above (Kandscreeley's and Akuser13's) it came to mind that I appreciate it when author's take time to develop their very own laws of nature. Science in fiction doesn't have to obey our science in real life. For example, if a novel tells me that a star crashed into the equator and put the world out of orbit in the solar system so our gravity is wack - I would appreciate that.
I agree with everyone that said that when the author gets too technical the story could suffer or the reader could suffer from confusion.
masterhawk88
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-masterhawk88.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by masterhawk88 »

I don't mind if the science is glossed over. I really do enjoy it when they come up with a plausible explanation of how something works though. My biggest irritation in scifi has to be when authors break physics. While that's fine in universes where magic exist if you claim something can happen because of technology or science and it's a literal impossibility I kinda want to make you go back to high school until you understand the laws of thermodynamics.
Through books, I have lived not just one life but thousands.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

khusnick wrote:I like when the science is included to an extent. I don't like extensive explanations with terminology that I can't understand. I just want the fiction to make a little bit of sense. A brief but helpful answer as to how things work in the book is all I need.
I agree. We need a brief but helpful answer to our queries about the science-fiction story but to the point of detailed explanation with a definition that pops out somewhere in the pages. This destructs me.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Mira Grant puts puts a lot of effort into her science, and, while not possible (let's all hope :lol: ), she makes it all seem plausible.

When an author can make me believe in the impossible (Yes, we can bring dinosaurs back! Yes, a tapeworm can be genetically modified for your health, but wind up taking over your body.), I swoon.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

I'm definitely interested in a good sci-fi story, but I would love it better if it had some basis that I could learn; I don't need explanations to go overboard, and I actually like more fiction than science. I couldn't get through books like The Martian because there was just so much explanation and it became boring.
akruser13
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akruser13.html

Post by akruser13 »

Jaime Lync wrote:After reading the two comments above (Kandscreeley's and Akuser13's) it came to mind that I appreciate it when author's take time to develop their very own laws of nature. Science in fiction doesn't have to obey our science in real life. For example, if a novel tells me that a star crashed into the equator and put the world out of orbit in the solar system so our gravity is wack - I would appreciate that.
I agree with everyone that said that when the author gets too technical the story could suffer or the reader could suffer from confusion.
Oh, definitely, but see how it still plays on something that could sound logical based on our knowledge of how our gravity works in relation to our position in the solar system? It's a fictional science based on even a slight knowledge of real world physics. It makes a certain amount of sense and I would totally roll with that.

If, on the other hand, an author decided to set their story on Earth in what is supposed to be "real" Earth but maybe a few years in the future, and just decided they wanted their gravity to have less pull just for the sake of letting their characters bounce around like moon visitors, but offered zero explanation for why that is, I might be a little confused by that. Just saying, "It's in the future so gravity is weaker just because I want it to be," is less enticing to me than giving me some sort of reason for why. They could say someone invented a machine that counters the pull of gravity for all I care, but I prefer to have something grounded in actual science as explanations for how a fictional universe works if I'm reading a science fiction story, ya know?

Tell me it's fantasy and there's magic so anything flies and I'm down with that though, lol.
Zoey
Currently Reading: Sharing Jesus
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-modern-moses.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Zoey »

How much science with my fiction?

Picture a piece of pumpkin pie with cream sky high.
Does it run your mouth dry?

Of course not! It makes it water like crazy!

Think of science in the context, the more the merrier!
Never judge a book by its movie.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I think background info about a supernatural event is always good, as long as the author delivers it well. The usual fallbacks are a gene mutation, alien life, and a genie. But J.K. Rowling never gave us a reason for how the wizard world came about (or did I miss it?) and look how many of us she fooled haha.
John Cand
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-cand.html

Post by John Cand »

Just enough science to make me feel like I understand the storyline - that's good enough for me.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

I prefer science fiction that has a proper grounding in actual science. More importantly, I am ok with an author making up plausible or even hand-waving explanations for complex phenomena, but when they actually try to explain something, it really bugs me when they get stuff wrong. This is one of the reasons I really loved the book The Martian, by Andy Weir.

His focus on describing the well-understood aspects of science was a major factor in how much I liked his book.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Jaime Lync wrote:In Superhighway, Alex is able to travel through cyberspace as a result of an inherited genetic mutation. In my opinion, the author does a great job describing the science behind the fictional power of 'electoportation'. However, I have read many sci-fi books that present awesome powers, namely time-travel, and simply gloss over the science by saying that it would be too complicated to understand or some other deterrent to having to give scientific explanations.
Are you interested in learning science while reading sci-fi?
Do you know any books that give really detailed science explanations to support the fiction?
Are you turned off by sci-fi that does not try to explain the science behind the story? (I know I am )
I am a science fiction fan and a scientist to boot so I love it when the science is well developed. That is one of the reasons why I enjoyed some of our recent BOTM selections including We are the Ants, Nightlord: Sunset, and Roan. Also, one of the books I recently reviewed - Staff Sergeant Belinda Watt (https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... 21&t=41412) had great science!! Sometimes it might detract from the story if it is overly complex, however, personally I love it!

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”