Official Review: Desert Hunt by K S R Menon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Official Review: Desert Hunt by K S R Menon

Post by debo9967 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Desert Hunt" by K S R Menon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Desert Hunt by K.S.R Menon is a book that can be loosely categorized in the espionage thriller genre. Set in Dubai, the story starts with a top Hamas leader acting as a middleman in a clandestine nuclear deal, for his own reasons. His assassination brings to light a bigger and more sinister terror plot to secure a suitcase nuke design for the Al Qaeda. Intelligence agencies spanning across four nations: the USA, the UAE (Dubai), India and Israel, come together to solve this puzzle involving multiple plots and players. Will they uncover the conspiracy and prevent the Al Qaeda from laying its hands on the dangerous weapon before its too late?

The author’s wide journalistic experience lends a high degree of credibility to this novel, which I felt was its best aspect. The novel provides a fascinating description of how intelligence agencies function, distinct from the stereotypical ‘James bond’ kind of spy fiction. All the characters are believable; in fact some might be modeled on certain real personalities, and most of situations are not just realistic but frightening possible. The story is narrated from the viewpoint of several characters, which covers the plot line from different angles. The novel takes the reader to diverse scenarios ranging from war-ravaged Iraq to terrorist dominated Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Through it’s well-rounded characters, the novel relays the perspectives, and sometimes peculiarities, of people of different nationalities, for example, the extremely inquisitive nature of South Asian people, or how they criticize Americans and at the same time want their kids to study in the best American universities. On a serious note, there is an element of sensitivity and fairness in the characterization, for instance, the author contrasts a Pakistani ex-military official who is trying to sell the nuclear weapon design, with a sailor, also from Pakistan, who is doing everything in his power to aid the Dubai Intelligence, even putting his family at risk when they’re quite literally in the shadow of the Taliban, in Waziristan.

Coming back to the plot, describing it as fast paced and full of suspense will seem pretty cliché. The author cleverly captures the intricate balance of international equations and dynamic existing between nations, for example, how India balances its relations with both Israel and Palestine, and without giving away any details; I have to say that it was quite astute. Ordinarily, a plot involving so many characters and twists should have been complex, but the smooth and vivid writing style, and superb editing makes it very easy to follow the storyline.

This book is meticulously detailed, yet it is a tight suspense where no words have been wasted on unnecessary additions. The only criticism I can think of is, that there are hardly any pivotal female characters, but that isn’t enough to begrudge this novel the 4 out of 4 stars it deserves. Readers who enjoy intelligent and realistic political crime thrillers will enjoy this one.

Desert Hunt
View: on Bookshelves

Like debo9967's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like the author has done his research on this book. It also sounds like there are many great characters to enjoy. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

Thank you :)
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

Seems like an interesting and well researched novel. Good review!
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

Thanks!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Islamic terrorism, conspiracy, and espionage make for an exciting read. It is nice that the "author’s wide journalistic experience lends a high degree of credibility to this novel". Sounds like a good read for fans of the genre. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Your review was fantastic, @debo9967! Very professional, in fact! Great job! I think this book is going to do quite well as #BOTD! You put my own worries to rest when you said that it was easy to follow, even though there were multiple characters and plotlines to follow. The writer's personal experience is what will make this novel a true success. Congrats to the author and thank you for the discount! Good luck! ?
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Great job on the review! This book sounds like just the thing to read for people who like action-packed espionage novels. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like my cup of tea so I think I'll have to pass on it.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Too bad about the lack of pivotal female characters.
Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure it's for me.

Thank you for the review.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
peabutreese
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peabutreese.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by peabutreese »

What a great review! Its been awhile since the last time I've finished an entire book to be honest. This review convinced me to read this book and I'll be reading it now..
Estrelldamilola
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Estrelldamilola »

From the review, the writer as done well to aggregate history with technology. I think it will be an exciting book and full of suspense.
Jlvyso34
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Jlvyso34 »

Desert Hunt does not sound like a typical book that would capture my interest. With the lack of female characters, even less so. I will unfortunately be passing this read by even though the poster wrote an excellent review.
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I'm not usually a fan of political thrillers, but I like the realistic premise of this one. Interesting OBC review too!
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review. A novel with terrorists and a nuke makes an interesting story to me. I love novels about espionage and from what I've read in this review the story line is believable. I can't wait to read this intriguing novel. Congrats on being BOTD.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Khaya
Currently Reading: 1Q84
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaya.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Khaya »

Sounds like a well-researched, accurate novel for those interested in eastern cultures and intelligence agencies.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”