Review by Dh_ -- Keys to Tetouan by Mois Benarroch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Review by Dh_ -- Keys to Tetouan by Mois Benarroch

Post by Dh_ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Keys to Tetouan by Mois Benarroch is quite an interesting book and the first of its type that I have ever read. The book is in an unusual format, but I found that this format left you asking more questions and wanting to keep reading until you found the answers. The characters in the book are each described very well, so it feels like you personally know them. As for the writing, I was impressed by the writing in several parts because it was almost poetic. Overall, I give the book 3 out of 4 stars.

The book focuses on the story of the Benzimra family: a Jewish family that has been around for several generations. The family has an incredible number of relatives, most of which are described or describe themselves, and they each have their own story. The family is spread out around the world and has been for centuries; some living in South America and others in Europe. The book is told as if it were a compilation of stories all revolving around one main idea: their Jewish roots, their home (Tetouan), and finding their family history. Even though the author is Mois Benarroch, it feels like there are countless authors because many of the characters share pieces of their life story and personal experiences. Each character has their own way of expressing themselves and their opinions that makes them stand out among the rest, a trait not found in many books.

I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars because it was good, but it wasn’t amazing. I will admit that it was beautifully written and that you can feel the writer’s emotions through their words, which is probably what I liked the most about it. Whenever each character speaks, it feels like they are talking directly to you. I also really liked how vividly each moment is described. I liked the way that the author connected the characters and how each character’s part of the story contributed to the big picture.

As I mentioned above, it wasn’t amazing. There were a few grammatical errors here and there. Also, I felt like the plot was lacking a little more excitement or suspense. There were very few plot twists and that is what I personally love to find in a book. The story itself flowed very nicely, but it didn’t have the element of surprise. I didn’t find the book exciting, but rather educational. The author includes many historical events and explains the religious situation at the time, so some parts reminded me of reading a history textbook instead of a story.

Since the book gives a lot of importance to the Jewish religion and their customs, as well as their history, I would recommend it to readers that have an interest in that sort of thing. By that I mean readers that enjoy historical books or are interested in the Jewish religion. I think that even people that don’t care for these things can enjoy the book as well, because those things don’t appeal to me, yet I liked it. Nevertheless, I would recommend it to anyone that likes to read about history or wants to know more about Judaism.

Keys to Tetouan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Dh_'s review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks for the review. I hope you don't mind me saying but you seemed to overuse the word book. Just in the first sentence, you used the word book twice. I noticed because I also have had an issue with that so I try to switch it up and refer to the book as a 'novel' (when it applies) and or 'the author's work'.
Other than that, the review was really solid. Thanks again.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

Jaime Lync wrote:Thanks for the review. I hope you don't mind me saying but you seemed to overuse the word book. Just in the first sentence, you used the word book twice. I noticed because I also have had an issue with that so I try to switch it up and refer to the book as a 'novel' (when it applies) and or 'the author's work'.
Other than that, the review was really solid. Thanks again.

Oh, thank you! I didn't realize what I did.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”