Official Review: Israela by Batya Casper

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Official Review: Israela by Batya Casper

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Israela" by Batya Casper.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After having enjoyed two short stories by Batya Casper, I was thrilled to have the opportunity to read a full length novel by the same author. Israela did not disappoint. This historical fiction book is not only beautifully written, but heartfelt and touching as well.

Orit and Ruti are Jewish sisters living in Israel in the 1960’s. Ruti is married to an Arab man under the disguise of being Arab herself. Orit is an actress who longs to be a part of Ruti’s life, but not under the pretense of being an Arab. The sisters break off their relationship and their lives drift apart with each one experiencing regret as the years go on. Meanwhile, tensions between Jews and Arabs worsen each day as historical events unfold.

Elisheva is Orit and Ruti’s cousin who immigrates to Israel from England when she is young. She experiences many horrific changes as she sees death and destruction happening to families around her. She devotes her life to helping others as a nurse, but feels helpless to help Orit and Ruti reconcile. Her live intertwines with her two cousins and many others into what is a beautifully told story.

We have all heard of the unrest in Israel, but Israela puts a face to the lives of both Jews and Arabs in Israel. The characters draw you into the story and make you long for an end to the destruction of innocent lives and broken families. It is hard to imagine what it would be like living in a place where peace is a far-off dream. This book paints a realistic picture of the struggle for peace everyone in Israel faces.

The characters are realistic and relatable. I could understand the way each of them felt and why they made the choices they did, even though I wanted to shake them for making stupid decisions sometimes. I love each of the main characters and enjoy how the author switches point of view to capture each of their thoughts.

The book explores many different political, religious, and relational ideas without forcing the author’s personal opinion on the reader. That is an incredible talent as many authors try too hard to make you believe the way they do. I feel like the ideas expressed flowed from the character’s themselves rather than the author.

All in all, it is an incredible book deserving of 4 out of 4 stars. I will remember these characters every time I think of Israel. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in learning more about the conflict between the Jews and Arabs in Israel. This is also a good read for anyone who enjoys historical books about love, family, and (most of all) peace.

Israela
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rachaelamb1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
Jose adonay Garin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jose adonay Garin »

well, I can see you have a very good point of view; even there may be some of others
that can't say the same without having read it.
But the form of you recommending it is convicing .
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. Anything called Israel is interesting to me.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Ever since seeing this as BOTD, I've been dying to read it. It sounds like this one has all the right elements for an emotional and character driven story. Thanks for the great review :)
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

The uneasy relationships between Jews and Arabs have been the cause for wars and much violence. But they are both descendants of Abraham who ought to relate as siblings. The author uses the strained relationship between the two sisters to highlight the historical point, I believe. Kudos for the review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I like how the book discusses many different political and religious ideas without having the author force their ideas on anyone else. I like books that have diversity in it and this seems like a book that I would enjoy. Great job on the review!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This book is already on my shelf as a book that I want to read. I remember thinking that it sounded very intriguing. Your review makes me want to read it more.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Festus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-festus.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Festus »

Diasporic experiences and Jews-Palestinian conflict are usually the centerpieces of historical fictions emanating from Palestine or Jewish writers, taking cognizance of my recent review on Mois Benarroch's Keys to Tetouan. Love as being speculated is blind and like Shakespeare Juliet, Ruth is not just blind but blindfolded. But how far can she go in an atmosphere of mortal rivalry and eternal enmity. She may be luckier, unlike Juliet who opts for the Devil's alternative. Israela reinforces the fact that circumstances play vital role in one's social architecture. Both Casper and Rachaelamb1 deserve more than a round of applause.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love that this explores so many different aspects of society and culture without forcing the authors viewpoint on us. It's also nice that the characters are so easy to relate to as that makes a truly enjoyable book. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Fuzee4
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 427

Post by Fuzee4 »

The title was the first thing that caught me, and now you're review has convinced me enough to add the book to my tbr pile :)
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I wonder when the world will ever have peace. This must be a very sad book to read. Thanks for the review.
Fuzee4
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 427

Post by Fuzee4 »

Hey, Great review. I saw this book in the historical section and wasn't sure what to make of it. Your review has shed some light on my ignorance. :P
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

You wrote a very convincing review. The way you related to the woes of the characters is excellent. The novel does deal with a very intense topic.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing

Return to “Historical Fiction”