Official Review: Goliath Trembled by Christopher Murphy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Official Review: Goliath Trembled by Christopher Murphy

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Goliath Trembled" by Christopher Murphy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Goliath Trembled: Confronting the Cabal by Christopher Murphy is an intriguing fictional novel that features the Bilderberg Group, a real organisation, as the antagonist. The group was formed in the 1950s by elite European and American figures that hoped to prevent a next world war. Ironically, since most of the group’s proceedings are shrouded in mystery, there are some conspiracy theorists that claim the Bilderberg Group is responsible for many acts of terrorism in an attempt to control the population via fear. The author drives home the message by utilizing the following quote by David Rockefeller, at the June, 1991 Bilderberg meeting in Baden, Germany.
“It would have been impossible for us to develop our plan for the world if we had been subjected to the lights of publicity during those years. But, the world is more sophisticated and prepared to march towards a world government. The supranational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable to the national auto-determination practiced in past centuries.’’
It seems as if the group hopes to enforce one world order by brutal means. The elites’ power is so immense that they are comparable to Goliath, a giant that defied the nation of Israel. However, everyone who has read the classical bible story knows what happens to Goliath. The book title itself is a spoiler – Goliath Trembled! Biggall informs Nic, a fiction book writer, about the Bilderberg’s plans and how he has devised to foil their villainous ploy. Who is Biggall? According to this book, the CIA and the Bilderberg Club are desperate to find and eradicate him. Although the author tries to hide his identity until the very end of the book, I believe that most readers will be able to easily recognize him.

Fortunately, this story has a number of sub-plots involving romantic relationships and thought-provoking philosophical discussions that would keep readers entertained. I also enjoyed the quotes that were found at the start of every chapter. The quote above is one of such citations. Also, this novel helped me build my vocabulary. One of the new words I learned was cabal (a small group of people who work together secretly).The most enjoyable thing about the book was that it was nicely paced.

Unlike Murphy’s Law, everything that could go wrong did not go wrong. However, Murphy’s work did have some flaws. The first few chapters had many sentences with missing words. It was understandable that some Russian characters would not speak grammatically correct. However, American characters also seemed to have poor control of the language. Also, there were two or three scenes that were written in present tense while the rest of the book was in past tense. This was a little perturbing. Moreover, there was a Henry and a Henri in the story. However, it seemed as if sometimes Henri was addressed as Henry. This was very perturbing.

However, the greatest downfall of Goliath Trembled was that the characters did not have enough depth for me to become emotionally invested in the book. There were scenes that I knew were supposed to inspire an emotional response from me but they did not stir me at all (and I am a person that sheds both tears of joy and sadness for fictional characters).

In conclusion, I rate Goliath Trembled 3 out of 4 stars. I would highly recommend this novel to people who are interested in conspiracy theories and to those who are interested in philosophy.

Goliath Trembled
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, it captured my attention until you mentioned the characters lacking depth. That's definitely one of my pet peeves. I need some good characters to get me involved. Thanks for the review though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

kandscreeley wrote:Well, it captured my attention until you mentioned the characters lacking depth. That's definitely one of my pet peeves. I need some good characters to get me involved. Thanks for the review though.
I think that some people might enjoy the characters because the story is philosophical but being objective I think that there were not enough dimensions to the characters to get me emotionally involved plus their was a lot of foreshadowing that removed a lot of the possible tension that could be used to help us identify with the characters.

Thanks for reading and relying.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Sounds like a good plot. Too bad the characters didn't have much depth. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Spirit Wandering wrote:Sounds like a good plot. Too bad the characters didn't have much depth. Thanks for the review.
Thanks, in retrospect I feel bad that I used that phrase because it is not that they are very shallow character but they felt very restricted in a character box. Like there was only one side to them but people are not one dimensional.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I love the story has interesting sub-plots that keeps readers entertained. It's unfortunate that the characters lack depth. That would be a problem for me too.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks for reading and commenting Amagine
AuGold
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AuGold »

This sounds like a great read for those who are into philosophical argument. I am trying to convince myself that the characters aren't terrible. Great review.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks sis. The characters aren't terrible. Just that looking at the story some key characters could have been better but the whole foreshadowing thing turned me off from them a little.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

This one doesn't sound like it's for me, but I'm glad you still enjoyed the book despite it's flaws!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks Marisa Rose. The book is thought provoking and I think that those who are into philosophy would really enjoy it.
General Doc

Post by General Doc »

The plot sounds interesting but I have to agree with Marisa Rose, this one isn't for me. Great review though and thanks for sharing!
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

I'll have to pass on this one, but thanks for the review!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks for taking time out to read and reply General Doc and Tanaya
Flor26

Post by Flor26 »

I like that you inserted that Rockefeller quote into the review. Thanks for sharing!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”