Gifted vs Created

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Zero
Currently Reading: Wings of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24

Gifted vs Created

Post by Zero »

Alex was gifted with a superpower, an ability to get into the digital world, and do what he wishes to. Now, what if you could create it (or any ability that you like) by yourself and make the power your own? What would you do? Would you create it?

And what if you had to chose between two people with same powers and abilities but different origins (i.e. one is gifted and the other has created it), who would you chose? Who would you trust more?
(Probably its like choosing between a highly intelligent human & an A.I.)
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. -Albert Einstein
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Wheew... Tough one. If I have the power to create and make that power, I would. I will use it to recall an ill-gotten wealth of government officials and give them back to the taxpayers.
Zero
Currently Reading: Wings of Fire

Post by Zero »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:Wheew... Tough one. If I have the power to create and make that power, I would. I will use it to recall an ill-gotten wealth of government officials and give them back to the taxpayers.
I know right? I to had a tough time deciding, and still I haven't reached​ a conclusion ??
Well your idea seems to be interesting, it's like we are Wikileaks!! :mrgreen2:
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. -Albert Einstein
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think I would always choose a highly intelligent human. I just don't trust A.I.s, probably because I've seen too many movies where they have created havoc.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

kandscreeley wrote:I think I would always choose a highly intelligent human. I just don't trust A.I.s, probably because I've seen too many movies where they have created havoc.
I second Kandscreeley. Can't trust humans either actually but they are better than getting stuck in the matrix because AIs gone rogue.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

kandscreeley wrote:I think I would always choose a highly intelligent human. I just don't trust A.I.s, probably because I've seen too many movies where they have created havoc.
Nice one. Having the gift of the intellect combined with wisdom will save the world from havoc created by A.I.s.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I mentioned this is another topic as well, but I love the "everyone has superpowers hidden deep inside them, waiting to come out" trope! I always hope that if I focus on something hard enough, some switch in my brain will flick on and I'll be able to do crazy things!
I think I like the idea that everyone has an equal chance, rather than some random person being gifted with some random power. Hard work and persistence is always better than finding out about a superpower on accident and then naturally being able to use it, despite not knowing of its existence?...
Ljessup
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ljessup.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Ljessup »

katiesquilts wrote:I mentioned this is another topic as well, but I love the "everyone has superpowers hidden deep inside them, waiting to come out" trope! I always hope that if I focus on something hard enough, some switch in my brain will flick on and I'll be able to do crazy things!
I think I like the idea that everyone has an equal chance, rather than some random person being gifted with some random power. Hard work and persistence is always better than finding out about a superpower on accident and then naturally being able to use it, despite not knowing of its existence?...

I agree. I like the idea that everyone has to work hard and has that equal chance. It is more rewarding to work for what someone has in their life and look back on that journey and relive it. I also don't think i'd create the power, but I can't say I am completely sure about that. I'm quite indecisive about it. Nice thinking prompt!
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
raizenagallo
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raizenagallo.html
Latest Review: "A Case of Black Rock Mineral Water" by Simon Marshland

Post by raizenagallo »

On choosing between the gifted vs created, I would choose the gifted. The gifted will always be hungry in creating better inventions while the created will always strive to be better than the gifted. It's like choosing Iron Man rather than choosing Jarvis because I know that Iron Man will continue making awesome things that includes the improvement of Jarvis's abilities.
Latest Review: "A Case of Black Rock Mineral Water" by Simon Marshland
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

I think I would definitely choose gifted over created. Created just seems too artificial...you never know what could go wrong. Of course, gifted humans could run off the rails too! Tough one!

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
magicquill
Currently Reading: Elf Brief
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magicquill.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by magicquill »

A really tough one. For me, I would choose gifted because it is the natural ability of every person. Of course there will be some flaws on it but it can still be nourished or improved. Unlike created, it's artificial, like it was just borrowed. A thing that only exist and only has limited purpose.
Because if you've found meaning in your life, you don't want to go back. You want to go forward.

- Mitch Albom, Tuesdays with Morrie
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

The thing is Alex is sort of gifted this super power and also sort of created. His father had his genetics altered and it was passed to Alex. I would much rather have some sort of natural awesome ability.
sarbearah
Currently Reading: Year One
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarbearah.html
Latest Review: Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sarbearah »

If I could create a superpower, I would. There are too many times that I wish I could help people but I cannot because of circumstance or whatever. This way, I wouldn't have to make that choice.

Honestly, I would choose the person that created the power. I cannot help but think that the person who created it really wanted the superpower for some reason or another and is willing to work for it - they worked so hard to get them in the first place. I am less sure as to whether or not the person who was gifted with the power is willing to improve upon the power because they were just given it - no work had to be done by the recipient. To me, it is all about hard work and effort.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

Of course Spiderman pops into my head and I hear "with great power comes great responsibility". I think I wouldn't mind having a superpower, but I don't know if I would actually like the superpower Alex is given. It would make traveling a lot easier, but there's so much information and one wrong move could make a lot of mistakes. Like what he did with the company his grandfather had worked out. More people were affected by his decisions than he had thought through. I think I would want the ability to foresee natural disasters. That way people could get to safety sooner.
Mac :techie-reference:
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

If I have the ability to create it, I will. But if I am given the choice to choose who to trust between a gifted and a created, I will have to consider their characters first.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”