Official Review: The Matriarch Saved by J.Y. Olmos

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Matriarch Saved by J.Y. Olmos

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Matriarch Saved" by J.Y. Olmos.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Matriarch Saved is book one of the Hive series by J.Y. Olmos. It is classified as science fiction and available on Amazon for $4.99. The book is around 400 pages, but the font is fairly large making for a quick read.

Alien ships have shown up around Earth and have begun stealing resources. They start with the Great Lakes as well as most of the world’s iron. Evonne and her family are preparing to flee the city when the alien’s kill her husband and child. Evonne is spared and finds herself on a ship filled with other females of breeding age.

The women aboard the alien ship are trapped in a cycle of being gassed, experimented on, and waking naked in a room. Quite a bit of time passes before they are rescued by another ship full of seemingly human males (albeit quite large, human males.) Evonne is separated from the rest of the women leaving her to wonder exactly who these people are and what they want with her. The leader of the ship, Kalerant Torneau, has ordered her to stay in his quarters for the duration of the trip.

The plot is fairly straight forward and develops quite nicely throughout the book. We learn about the aliens as Evonne does, which allows the reader to empathize better with her situation. If I had anything negative to say about the plot, it would be that not much is mentioned about exactly what went on during the alien abduction. I didn’t find myself missing anything, especially as the story developed further (I wouldn’t want to read the gory details anyway). However, some may be left wanting more details specifically about that time.

The book definitely belongs in the science fiction genre, and the author does a great job of creating alien species and planets. I don’t want to give too much away, but the aliens that are featured in this book have quite a different way of life than what we are used to. This left me intrigued and dying to read more. I will say that there is a definite element of romance included in this novel. The author is very tasteful in how the sensuality is presented with no explicit sex scenes, but the romance is unavoidable. Those that are looking for a science fiction book without any element of romance will want to steer clear of this book. Yet, because the author has handled the issue with such delicacy, I would say this would be appropriate for older teens.

It also bears mentioning that there were very few errors in this book. I think I saw only one or two in the whole 400 pages. The formatting is also well done. Although it is not strictly necessary – the author does a good job of explaining terms throughout the story – there is a glossary of terms in the back of the book. This glossary covers not only foreign terms, but characters as well.

There is no doubt in my mind that The Matriarch Saved deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I started out thinking that it would probably end up with 3, but the story just grew on me. I was not ready for the book to end, and I do need to point out that there is a cliffhanger ending. I realize that not everyone will appreciate that; but, in this instance, it simply made me want to hurry up and buy the second book. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good alien romance, including any young adult readers.

The Matriarch Saved
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I like that you mentioned that the font is big so I am not intimidated by the 400 pages - I am usually afraid of reading anything over 350 pages. This does sound intriguing.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Yeah. I wouldn't worry that is 400 pages. It really isn't that many with the font and spacing. It goes quickly.
—Neil Gaiman
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review! Hm...an alien ship trapping women and treating them poorly is something that is both disturbing and yet gripping for a fictional read. I like how the author takes the time to explain some new vocabulary because this is usually a feature that would turn me off from science fiction. I'm glad that you enjoyed the read!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks hsimone. I love when the story captures me as this one did. As far as vocab, a good author can use foreign or invented words yet give you enough clues to help you know what they mean.
—Neil Gaiman
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

The aliens sound intriguing so I will be adding to my want to read list. Thanks for the great review!
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks spirit. If you do read it, let me know what you think.
—Neil Gaiman
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

kandscreeley wrote:Thanks spirit. If you do read it, let me know what you think.
Will do.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
General Doc
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by General Doc »

I like that we learn about the aliens as Evonne learns about them not just because we are able to empathize with her more but I think it might keep us just generally more interested in the story to not know things before a character. For example, if I am watching a movie and I know that a character is going to die before s/he does I tend not to care much for the character.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It's not often to find a science fiction book with a female lead. Usually people think of this genre as one reserved only for the boys. So I love the fact that the main character is a girl.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

General Doc wrote:I like that we learn about the aliens as Evonne learns about them not just because we are able to empathize with her more but I think it might keep us just generally more interested in the story to not know things before a character. For example, if I am watching a movie and I know that a character is going to die before s/he does I tend not to care much for the character.
Very true. I understand where you are coming from. It definitely did keep my interest. In fact, it made my interest grow along with Evonne!

-- 05 Jun 2017, 07:30 --
Amagine wrote:It's not often to find a science fiction book with a female lead. Usually people think of this genre as one reserved only for the boys. So I love the fact that the main character is a girl.

Great Review! ?
Absolutely! Plus, (which I don't think I stated), she's a little bit older than the typical character at around 40. Which is also unique!
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

At first, just reading the synopsis, I too didn't think this book would be that enjoyable. You make a lot of interesting points in the review that make me reconsider this one. Glad it was a pleasant surprise for you :)
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Marisa. I was leery when I first started the book, but the author did a great job sucking me in to the story. :)
—Neil Gaiman
Emily Elizee
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-elizee.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Emily Elizee »

Great review.
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

An interesting premise! I liked it that the aliens "have quite a different way of life than what we are used to". The large font is a bonus, but I dislike cliffhanger ending. Oddly, there is no ebook version on Amazon. Thank you for the excellent review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”