Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Re: Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Post by micoleon13 »

A series Ive just finished reading was the Magnolia Steele Mystery by Denise Grover Swank. I found the first book, Center Stage, by accident on Amazons free ebook list, and the story is awesome!! Would very much recommend it to anyone. However the last book isn't released yet, so there is the frustration wait until next year.
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Post by erasmus »

Has anyone mentioned David Baldacci and his thrillers yet?

I love his Will Robie series, John Puller series, and Amos Decker series. I'm sure the list will get longer once I can get my hands on his books from the library. They keep getting borrowed. :x
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I would suggest the Harper Connelly series by Charlaine Harris. There are 4 separate murder mysteries, and Harper has a gift, after being struck by lightning, she can sense dead bodies, and sometimes see how they died. This quirk brings her under much speculation. Along with her stepbrother, they travel and make money by using Harper's unusual talent. Somehow they never seem to be able to leave the town without getting tied up in the case or the "murder"

I read 3 whilst on holiday and found them really gripping and tense in places, and some bits a little bit gorey. You really want to keep going to find out "who did it?" or "where are they?"

Has anybody else read these? I think they'd make a good TV show.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Klf0510
Currently Reading: something
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Klf0510 »

If you have not yet read The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware, you should! This book was excellent and keeps you on your toes until the very end.
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

An old series I know, but I just started reading James Patterson's collection of The Women's Murder Club. I will be finishing 1st To Die either tonight or tomorrow morning and so far I like it.

My favorite author is Lisa Gardner. I just picked up her latest Right Behind You . I am very excited to read it over vacation later this month.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by ifeoma obike »

Something by Shelby Lamb (book 1 of 5 in the wisteria series) is a must read for lovers of horror and mystery stories. It is about four teenagers haunted by a creeping evil that seeped into their lives through a mysterious book named Something which is in the possession of one of them.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

A series that I would recommend is the Hannah Swensen Series by Joanne Fluke. This series is about a woman who owns a bakery and also solves murder cases on the side. There is an equal mixture of suspense, mystery, and romance that makes for an enjoyable series.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Audioslaver17
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 14">Father Night</a>
Currently Reading: Codex
Bookshelf Size: 649

Post by Audioslaver17 »

For an unforgettable debut thriller, i'd highly recommend 'I Am Pilgrim' by Terry Hayes (scriptwriter of two of the original 'Mad Max' films), it starts off like a CSI episode and then the real action starts. A regular customer in charity bookshop, I volunteered in, read all 800+ pages in a couple of days.

-- 15 Apr 2017, 14:34 --

I can thoroughly recommend the Penn Cage novels by Greg Iles (beginning with 'The Quiet Game'. Murder, power and corruption, if that's what rocks your boat, then look no further.
Brona Croft
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Divergent
Bookshelf Size: 19
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Brona Croft »

I absolutely recommend the Bill Hodges Trilogy by Stephen King! I couldn't put those books down!
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

An author I've recently discovered (not "new" just new to me) for anyone who enjoys the classic hard-boiled type crime/mystery stories: The John Marshall Tanner series by Stephen Greenleaf.
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I don't think anyone has mentioned the "Alphabet Mysteries" by Sue Grafton. Grafton's books started with A is for Alibi in 1982, followed by B is for Burglar and so on, with the latest installment simply titled X published in 2015. All the books feature no-frills private investigator Kinsey Millhone. The books make for interesting reading as they are in a time warp since Kinsey cannot grow too old; X is set in the year 1989 with Kinsey at age 38. There are likewise other memorable characters including Kinsey's love interests and her octogenarian landlord.
Belynda White
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 8">Destiny Revisited</a>
Currently Reading: What Lies Within
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belynda-white.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Belynda White »

Check out works from John Grisham.? Amazing writer in this category.
Most times, I fall flat on my face. But never do I remain on the floor; I rise again.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

[quote="Gingerbo0ks"]I would suggest the Harper Connelly series by Charlaine Harris. There are 4 separate murder mysteries, and Harper has a gift, after being struck by lightning, she can sense dead bodies, and sometimes see how they died.

I love this series!! It's so easy to read and with her talent it gives a different spin on the usual mystery novel
Ian1027
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ian1027 »

(I know the way I describe it the book sounds like it has the plot line of a Nancy Drew, but it's really a lot more complex and compelling.)
Brenlea
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenlea.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Brenlea »

I have not read through all the posts to see if Lee Child has been mentioned and if so, I apologize. But, I like Child's succinct style of writing and books are an easy summer read. I am one who likes to read book series in order but this is one where you can read them out of order and do not as you have missed something.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”