Official Review: Soft Underbelly by Kat Powell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Official Review: Soft Underbelly by Kat Powell

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Soft Underbelly" by Kat Powell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At an early age, Kathy saw her mother lash out at her meek father. She thought her father was weak for not fighting back. Growing up, her mother never forgot to remind her how unlovable she was. She wanted to prove that her mother was wrong. She had relationships with different men. Everything was beautiful at the start of each relationship. However, it did not take long before the relationship turned sour. Her partners turned out to be controlling and abusive. Kathy could not help but think that her mother was right after all.

Soft Underbelly by Kat Powell is an inspiring story of a woman who struggled to beat the odds to find the love she deserved. Written in third person point-of-view, the novel is based on a true-to-life story. However, some of the names were altered to protect the privacy of individuals.

Kathy was a relatable protagonist. It was easy to sympathize with Kathy’s circumstances. Her different relationships with men made her feel more unlovable. She wanted help, but she knew she could only rely on herself. In the end, Kathy stood strong and fought for what she deserved.

It was evident that the author was a great storyteller. She put emphasis on her main points. One of these was that Kathy was unlovable. The reiteration was enough to let the readers understand how Kathy felt. Although there were times that she knew her mother was wrong, her failures pushed her to think otherwise. It was a constant battle in her head, and it was a long time before Kathy overcame it. Ms. Powell also employed sufficient foreshadowing. She gave enough hints for the readers to know that something was about to happen to the characters.

I could only see one drawback in the novel. There were too many characters introduced in the story. Many secondary characters were only slightly introduced. Some of these were Kathy’s friends such as Ramona and Mandy. They were mentioned once or twice in the story and they never appeared again. It did not confuse me or hinder my reading pace. I only felt that these characters were not given enough time to build a persona.

This novel is one of the best inspirational novels I have read in a long time. It has its own charms that draw in its readers. For that, I give Soft Underbelly by Kat Powell 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone who loves to read true-to-life stories. Anyone who is in a rough and abusive relationship may find Kathy’s story an inspiration.

Soft Underbelly
View: on Bookshelves

Like ellieonline03's review? Post a comment saying so!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Awesome review. This does seem like it has a charm to it. Thanks.
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

"Growing up, her mother never forgot to remind her how unlovable she was." It's never good to instill in children that they are not good in any way. Children must always be encouraged with a positive outlook, for them to aspire to high levels of achievement. Thanks for a good review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do love to learn about other people's lives. This one sounds particularly interesting. Thanks for a nice review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Chrys Brobbey wrote:"Growing up, her mother never forgot to remind her how unlovable she was." It's never good to instill in children that they are not good in any way. Children must always be encouraged with a positive outlook, for them to aspire to high levels of achievement. Thanks for a good review.
Thank you, Chrys Brobbey! I really agree with your point.
Moniquejm
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2759">What is and isn't Working for the Alcoholic and Addict</a>
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moniquejm.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Moniquejm »

I think this is an interested book to read. I am wondering why Kathy's father was not fighting back. I think this book is also good to learn more about parenting. Thank you for this great review.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This sounds like a very inspirational read to anyone who had to deal with abuse and neglect their entire lives. I'm glad the author was willing to share her story.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Ellie Gatillo
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Moniquejm wrote:I think this is an interested book to read. I am wondering why Kathy's father was not fighting back. I think this book is also good to learn more about parenting. Thank you for this great review.
Thank you, Moniquejm! He was a very gentle person. He wanted to resolve everything through peaceful means.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

It definitely seems like this book deals with some heavy material! I'm glad the main character is so easy to connect with. Though I do wish some of the secondary characters were better developed; many times I find they can be the best parts of a story.
Ellie Gatillo
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Thank you, MarisaRose! I really agree with you. I felt that the secondary characters were essential in understanding the story more (and the main character, too!). Nevertheless, the author did well in this novel.
Starving Author
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starving-author.html
Latest Review: Book Blueprint by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Starving Author »

I think this is a book I would l Iike to read. Perhaps, I cam find it my local library
Ellie Gatillo
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

That's a very positive response. Thank you, Starving Author! I'm sure you would find this book very much to your liking.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Instead of encouraging her daughter, Kathy's mother was doing the unthinkable...crushing her spirit. Nice review.
Ellie Gatillo
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Thank you, Rosemary Okoko. Her mother did something really nasty. Asa result, it left a scar on Kathy. The good thing was that Kathy was able to forgive her mother.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I like how different this story is, in that the abuse comes from the mother and it is in a verbal and emotional form, as opposed to most stories about abuse whereby the father is the abuser and it is a physical form of abuse. Thank you for your review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”