Official Review: 12 Ways To Discover What Makes You Tick

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Official Review: 12 Ways To Discover What Makes You Tick

Post by Tanaya »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "12 Ways To Discover What Makes You Tick" by Roni Kugler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

12 Ways to Discover What Makes You Tick is a self-help book by Roni L. Kugler.

The author was raised in the 1950’s by a father with a militaristic parenting style and a mother who felt powerless. Through examples from her own life, Kugler helps us to learn both from her mistakes and her successes in life. She challenges readers to pay attention to their bodies, thoughts, and feelings: a lesson she learned after ignoring the nervousness she felt when getting married young. She cautions us to observe how we make decisions, to listen to our inner voice, to do what’s in our best interest, and to become more comfortable with who we are. She shares her struggles with depression, sleep problems, sexual abuse, divorce, stress, and troubled relationships. Her focus is less on these issues and more so on her reaction to them, as she shares practical advice that helped her to overcome them. Kugler explains how she took control of her life and how we can do the same, with steps to get there. The book includes good principles for having a healthy relationship with oneself and with others.

Going along with the title, the book includes twelve main chapters, such as “Listen to Your Inner Voice,” “Don’t Make Decisions Based on Fear,” and “Look for Your Blessings.” The chapters are brief, typically ranging from 6-10 pages long. Most of the chapters begin with the author speaking of a personal experience. Then she poses questions to the reader, such as: “Has there been a time in your life, or many times, when you didn’t stand up for yourself? Are you facing this now?” This is a means to transition into a series of exercises for self-reflection. For the most part, these exercises instruct the reader to create lists. Sometimes these lists can be done right then and there. One of the long-term exercises is a practical guide to self-forgiveness in which you write why you think you can’t forgive yourself, pick one reason per day, and decide how you can overcome it.

One of the things I liked most about the book is the author’s attitude, which can best be highlighted with this quote: “It was not my fault that I was molested as a child. It was, however, my responsibility and need as an adult to do everything I could to face and conquer this demon.” She’s very open, with a concise writing style. One can tell that she has spent a lot of time working on herself. Her questions and exercises are very direct. She instructs the reader to create a list of people he or she admires and then asks: “Did you list yourself? If not, why not? Why don’t you feel as if your opinions and thoughts are as important as someone else’s?” She makes great observations and suggestions. One gem includes why adults don’t play in the sandbox with their kids. Parents can have fun, too. Another great suggestion is to record and play back your voice to get used to hearing it.

The book isn’t totally original. There is some generic self-help advice, like chasing after your dreams and appreciating the small things. It’s not that this isn’t good advice, but she didn’t add anything new to these common notions. I was also slightly confused by her views about not doing something out of fear. Earlier in the book, she teaches that we should listen to our bodies, such as if we’re nervous. If we’re nervous, then that should be a factor in our decisions. It could be a signal not to do something. Later, she seems to change gears by condemning making decisions based on fear. I would suggest drawing a connection and making a distinction between the lessons found in chapter 1 and chapter 4 to clear up this confusion.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is filled with a lifetime’s worth of wisdom. I took off a star because it’s not totally original. Some chapters were too short and generic. They would have benefitted from her elaborating appropriately on her personal life. I also experienced a major point of confusion between two chapters. Besides that, just from reading the book, you can tell Kugler is a strong woman who has been through her share of troubles in life and has emerged victorious. She shares her life for the sake of helping others, and the book is a noble endeavor. I would recommend this book to anyone who may be struggling and wants to take action. This is the kind of book where you’ll get as much out of it as you are willing to put into it.

12 Ways To Discover What Makes You Tick
View: on Bookshelves

Like Tanaya's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It doesn't sound like entirely new advice, but sometimes it's good to hear it over again. Sounds like a pretty good book other than the confusion with the fear issue. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

@kandscreeley That's a good point. Sometimes we do need to hear things again before it finally sinks in or we finally decide to listen to it. Thanks for your comment!
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I'm not really a fan of these types of books, especially if there's nothing really new or incentive included. I really like your comment at the end about getting as much out as you are willing to put in - hopefully this one will resonate with a lot of people!
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

@MarisaRose Thanks for your comment! Yeah, I hope the book helps as many people as possible. That's the ultimate goal.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

The premise of the book sounds interesting. I agree that I hate when self-help books have the same generic advice that you can find anywhere. Too bad the advice couldn't have been more original.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

This sounds like a great selection and interested in reading it. It may not seem original but sometimes it is good to have a reminder of that wisdom.
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

@Amagine Thanks!

@jemgirl202 For sure. Sounds like you would enjoy it if you do give it a read.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I appreciate that the author is willing to share her own painful experiences and connect them to her advice. To me that would be more genuine than a lot of self help books. Often, these authors take the approach of having reached some lofty heights and therefore talk down to the reader about how they should change their life. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

Thanks for the comment! You can definitely tell that she has the heart to help.
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

This is a real life story about overcoming odds in life and becoming successful. I consider it will be worth reading. Thanks for a good review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Tim 28
Currently Reading: Who told you that you were naked
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tim 28 »

Thanks for that brilliant review. It really like reading self-help book. I think this one is worth time-spending.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks for the very insightful review. This book reminds me of the book of proverbs.
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

Thanks for the comments. It certainly is filled with wisdom that I'm sure will help many!
Antares
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antares.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Antares »

Great review. Thanks for sharing!
Follow your dreams, read a good book, and put your feet up with a nice glass of wine.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”