Official Review: My Journey Through Ink and Paint.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Official Review: My Journey Through Ink and Paint.

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Journey Through Ink and Paint." by Christopher O. Makoyawo (Snr.).]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Journey Through Ink and Paint. is written and illustrated by the author and artist Christopher O. Makoyawo (Snr.), and is published by Page Publishing. As it suggests this book is a compilation of several works of art by the author. It falls under the non-fiction genre.

The book starts by describing the author’s journey to creating abstract art. He claims that talent is a gift given by God and that it should be used to benefit you and your environment. He talks about his journey, first through sketches of the things around him, and the transition to abstract art. He then writes a bit about how and from where he gets inspiration and motivation to create his work. Art can be found in anything. It is about using your imagination and looking deeply enough to find beauty. This can be found in the light rays striking a piece of glass, suds of soap bubbles or chipped-off paint.

The main part of the book consists of twenty pieces of the artist’s work. He introduces each piece of art with a title and an explanation behind the meaning of the art. The explanation ranges from a few sentences to a full page. In it, he explains his interpretation of that particular piece. However, he clearly says in the book that the reader is welcome to come up with their own understanding of the art piece.

This artist likes to use thin lines and points of color to create his artwork. He often uses bright colors and doesn’t use much blending. The reader will be able to identify that most of the works have a similar technique of using the colors and lines.

I particularly liked his fourth and fifth pieces. His fourth piece is titled “Down-Under” and is a collection of floating pieces in a beautiful pink sea. The fifth piece titled “the Wealth and the Taker” depicts something of the natural wealth that this earth has, and how it is being stolen away.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I found it enjoyable and pleasurable to read and visually stimulating as well. I really enjoyed the fact that in-depth descriptions were given with the works of art since it gives an insight into the artist’s viewpoint and understanding of his own work.

Truthfully, I think that this book would be better in a print version where it could be enjoyed as a coffee table browsing book when one is relaxing. However, I think that the enjoyability of this book depends on the reader and their attitude towards abstract art. If the reader has a keen interest in art or is even openminded and willing to explore the art of abstract paintings, this book is for them. However, if one is not really interested in abstract art, they might not find this book to be of much interest.

My Journey Through Ink and Paint.
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like stoppoppingtheP's review? Post a comment saying so!

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's hard to do a review about a book of art, if you ask me. However, you did a great job. It does sound like it would be better enjoyed as a coffee table book. Sounds quite interesting.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This book sounds like a photo album. I've always wanted to read something like this. I agree with Kandscreeley, writing a review for this sounds difficult but you did a great job.
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I think it would be interesting to actually see the author's work. Abstract art has always been an enigma to me, sometimes I think I get it, and other times I'm just confused by it. Interesting review!
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

Yes, art can be found in everything. Everything can serve as a theme for poetry or a novel for a writer, We just have to keep our senses active. Thanks for an enjoyable review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very lovely book. I'm not an artist but a crafter and I, surely, would love to have this book in my collection. Good job on the review. Congratulations to Christopher O. Makoyawo (Snr.) on such a high rating.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

Given that I am an artist myself, this seems like a very interesting book. Thank you for the great review, you did a wonderful job.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
stoppoppingtheP

Thanks for all the lovely comments. It is true that it is quite difficult to review and judge a book about abstract art. This is because each person may have their own opinions on the same piece. One person may love a painting, while another would not find it that appealing.

but
instead

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This definitely sounds like a great book for the artistic types. That is why I'm sure I would enjoy the book. It's interesting to read about a fellow artist's journey and struggles. Also, just by looking at the cover image, the illustrations are beautiful!

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
ReadtoLive
Bookshelf Size: 531
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readtolive.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by ReadtoLive »

I think you're right about this being more enjoyable as a coffee table book. I think art books in general are like that, I find them more pleasing when I can actually hold them in my hands, versus reading them electronically. Thanks for the good review.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
stoppoppingtheP

ReadtoLive wrote:I think you're right about this being more enjoyable as a coffee table book. I think art books in general are like that, I find them more pleasing when I can actually hold them in my hands, versus reading them electronically. Thanks for the good review.
Exactly my thoughts.

but
instead

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

Wow! Great review! I really like the concept of this book, so I'll check it out. I agree with other commenters; this was probably a difficult review to write.
Dayang Siti Zuraida
Currently Reading: Superhighway 2
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Dayang Siti Zuraida »

remember,
you were a writer
before
you ever
put
pen to paper.
just because you were not writing
externally.
does not mean you were not writing
internally.”
― Nayyirah Waheed
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

An art book would be difficult to review as there is no flowing story behind it. You have proved me wrong though as you seem to have had it easy reviewing this book. Thanks
columbiagarage
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by columbiagarage »

Local Garage Door Repair company specializing in Residential Garage Door Repairs and Installations as well as offering a host of additional services including, spring repair, garage maintenance, opener installation, cable repair and 24 hour emergency garage door repair. Our focus is geared at providing exceptional customer service, we ensure that our customers receive safe, dependable and professional services rendered. All our technicians are hand picked and specially equipped with vast expertise, therefore enabling them to execute precise workmanship. We affiliate with trusted and sought after brands, Amarr and Wayne Dalton indicating our stance on the importance of quality. We offer SAME DAY SERVICE and our skilled and knowledgeable technicians are on call 7 days a week to assist with any garage door requirements. We operate in Columbia,MD and service surrounding areas. Call us at, (443) 353-9100 for more information.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”