Official Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The audible book, Strong Heart, is written by Charlie Sheldon and narrated by Laurel Anne White. The story follows Sarah, a thirteen year old girl with seemingly no place to call home, and Tom, Sarah’s grandfather. Completely unaware of Sarah’s existence, Tom only learns about her when she is unexpectedly dropped off at his front door. The timing couldn’t be more unfortunate as Tom and his friends, William and Myra, were about to embark on a trip to visit the grave of Tom’s grandfather, located deep in the wilderness of the Olympic Peninsula. Not wanting to cancel, Tom decides to bring Sarah along. After drawing the image of a short faced bear she claims to have seen, Sarah mysteriously disappears along with a very important artifact. Although Tom and his friends find it hard to believe Sarah actually saw the animal, whose species has been extinct for thousands of years, they can’t deny there is something unusual about the girl and the circumstances of her disappearance.

The audible narration of Strong Heart was not the strongest narration I’ve heard. The narrator’s voice sounds very monotone and robotic at times, having a tinny ring to it. I’m not sure if this is due to the recording or if it is the narrator’s actual voice. Voice variation was provided for different characters and though mostly successful, felt forced and confusing in some places. More than once, the narration failed to hold my attention; however, the curious storyline kept me wanting to listen.

Strong Heart provides a magical blend of science, native mysticism, and the exploration of familial ties. These themes are all interwoven throughout the story, creating a cohesive and powerful plot. The book is written partially in Sarah’s point of view, as she recounts the outlandish events surrounding her disappearance. Sarah’s voice was the most successful aspect of the story. The author masterfully captures the essence of a teenage girl, lost in the world, and trying to believe in herself when most others don’t believe in her at all. Sarah’s narration was both captivating and enigmatic. I don’t think I’ve ever read about a girl like Sarah before, and I find myself contemplating her character long after the story’s end.

The main characters were not given much backstory, which would normally be a negative aspect of any book; however, it worked really well in this novel. As the plot progresses, the characters develop based on their unexpected interactions with each other. Their mysterious backgrounds only add to the enchanting, mystical tone of the story. While listening to the novel, I felt like I knew everything about the feelings and internal struggles of the main characters. However, after some reflection, I realized the author actually provided very little detail about the character’s lives, proving his talent as a writer.

My enjoyment of the unique and mysterious story leads me to rate the book 4 out of 4 stars; however, I was tempted to deduct a star for the audible narration. Because I enjoyed so many aspects of the characters and plot, and found merit in the narrator's voice variation, I decided to stand by my initial rating. Those who enjoy fiction about native legends and mysticism will find themselves engrossed in this book. To those who have difficulty paying attention to less than engaging narrators, I would recommend reading the book rather than listening to the audible version.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ynnahxx
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ynnahxx »

Strong Heart is indeed a very nice novel.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad the story was good, but it's too bad that the narration wasn't stronger. I enjoy audible books during trips, and I don't know that I would use this for that purpose. Sounds like a good book to read, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>

Post by MarisaRose »

kandscreeley wrote:I'm glad the story was good, but it's too bad that the narration wasn't stronger. I enjoy audible books during trips, and I don't know that I would use this for that purpose. Sounds like a good book to read, though. Thanks.
I also love audio books for long trips, it's a great way to make the trip go by quickly! Definitely a great book worth reading though. Thanks for reading :)
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This is the first time i'm seeing a review for an audiobook. really well-written by the way. I want to take you up on that offer to read this myself instead of the audiobook option. Thanks.
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

Jaime Lync wrote:This is the first time i'm seeing a review for an audiobook. really well-written by the way. I want to take you up on that offer to read this myself instead of the audiobook option. Thanks.
Thank you :) It was my first time reviewing an audiobook - definitely a bit harder than reviewing a regular book as I had to take the narrator into account as well as my overall enjoyment of the narrative! :tiphat:
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This story sounds really intriguing and the concept is very interesting. It's unfortunate that the narrator couldn't have told the story in better quality rather than a monotone voice. In spite of that, the plot and characters sound like they alone are worth reading about.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
VEQUE

Post by VEQUE »

This audiobook was not well done,of course the audio portrayed a univoice. That would seem quite boring to a first reader.Otherwise the hard copy is interesting to go through and is quite attention catching. Varry tones in the audio book and the who work will be excellent
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

This is a genre that I really like, and this sounds like an enjoyable story. I like that you say that you had a sense of knowing even though the author hadn't actually given you a lot of backstory on the characters. It's too bad that the narration wasn't the best. I'll probably just read it then. Wonderful review!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The book sure sounds intriguing. I love magic realism, native legends, and mysticism, so will check it out. I don't like audio, so will read the regular version. Thank you for the review and congratulations to the author for the positive review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. Unfortunate about the narration though. I do feel that I would like to read this book for myself though. I love a good tale about native legends and mysticism. I think when a story brings magic and science together successfully it's usually quite intriguing. I also like the mysterious air about the story. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

A read with magic realism, native legends and mysticism sounds like a perfect adventure! I love how you found this read unique and mysterious - I'm intrigued. Thank you for the great review! Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

When I was browsing the first chapter from the sample on Amazon, I thought the book was just a story revolving around family relationships. But after reading your review, I'm more intrigued about the book. I enjoy mystical stories and I can't wait to read the whole story. Thanks for the great review!
Obidigwe

Post by Obidigwe »

The writer did justice to the environment. Listening to the narrator, I felt as if I was there.
The narrator actually tried. In all, I think the book would be very interesting to read with a lot of suspense.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Already got my copy and looking forward to checking this one out! The review makes it sound really interesting and enticing as a coming of age story!
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”