Official Review: The Obur Syndrome by David T Ward

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Official Review: The Obur Syndrome by David T Ward

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Obur Syndrome" by David T Ward.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Obur Syndrome by David T. Ward is a dark mystery thriller that introduces a fresh take on vampires. The novel raises an important question: what are you willing to sacrifice to free yourself from the clutches of evil?

Eddie Rasputin Garmone was a Knight of Danar and a seasoned vampire slayer. He was on medical leave when he received a late night call. He was summoned to aid Niles, his friend, who was pursued by vampires. This rescue mission turned out to be a setup – aimed to eliminate Eddie and Niles in the process. Things got more complicated when his fiancée, Tracie Cassidy, was abducted by an ancient vampire. Now Eddie has two goals in mind: find out who set him up and rescue Tracie as soon as possible.

While searching for Tracie, Eddie crossed paths with two vampires. Adham and Laban belong to different vampire clans. Additionally, they do not share the same perspective. However, both yearn to free themselves from the shackles of a sadistic and evil vampire. These three individuals try to achieve their individual goals. Will they succeed?

The novel has a lot of things in its favor. First, it has an intriguing concept. This was not the usual vampire versus humanity book that I read. Rather, it focuses on how each main character, vampire or not, strives to win his freedom. Their goals and methods differ from one another and this added variety to the story. Second, the author introduced a fresh take on vampires and vampire slayers. Mr. Ward created a detailed history on the origin of vampires. He also had a story about the first war of humanity against vampires. The vampire slayers that he introduced in the novel had a certain edge to them that I had not read in other books. Third, there were minimal errors found in the novel.

On the negative side, there were many points which hindered my reading pace and enjoyment. The Obur Syndrome is one of the most confusing books I have read in a long time. The novel was written in first person point-of-view, but it has three narrators. There was no hint of a change of narrators which made it confusing. Also, there were too many characters that the author introduced in a short period of time. There were also many words which were introduced that were never explained. To his credit, the author gave a glossary of terms, but I found out about it when I already finished reading the book. Another thing that slowed my reading pace was the author’s use of difficult words. It would have helped if the author chose simpler words instead. Lastly, there were too many loose ends. For example, there was no mention of what happened to the vampires in the carnival after Adham left. Additionally, it was not revealed who tried to kill Eddie. Though there were presumptions, it would have been better if there was a resolution.

Unfortunately, the negative aspects of this novel outweigh the positive aspects. Thus, I give The Obur Syndrome by David T. Ward 1 out of 4 stars. This book has potential and if improved, this would be a great mystery thriller.

The Obur Syndrome
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ellieonline03's review? Post a comment saying so!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've read books like this that introduce too many characters at once. It just makes things so overly confusing. You give up trying to keep track of who is who. Too bad this was so disappointing as it has an interesting premise. Thanks for muddling your way through though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I'm not a huge fan of supernatural books and the fact that this book is extremely confusing makes me lose interest more. It's unfortunate because it possibly had potential.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

kandscreeley wrote:I've read books like this that introduce too many characters at once. It just makes things so overly confusing. You give up trying to keep track of who is who. Too bad this was so disappointing as it has an interesting premise. Thanks for muddling your way through though.
Thank you, kandskreeley! It is a bit disappointing but through some luck, I learned that another book is being made to answer the loose ends on this novel. Hopefully, it will also contain more information about the characters introduced in the first book.
Moniquejm
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2759">What is and isn't Working for the Alcoholic and Addict</a>
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moniquejm.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Moniquejm »

This is an honest review. I congratulate you for finishing the book until the end. Making reviews for this kind of book is difficult.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
Ellie Gatillo
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Moniquejm wrote:This is an honest review. I congratulate you for finishing the book until the end. Making reviews for this kind of book is difficult.
Thank you, Moniquejm! It was difficult, but i stayed because the plot was really good. In time, if this was improved, I know it will be a great novel.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I thought that I commented on this before. I want to thank you for your insightful review. The premise sounds interesting but I also agree too many characters without them being fleshed out is hard.
Ellie Gatillo
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

111lovelymay wrote:I'm not more on .. Lots of character in one story. Kind a confusing?.... But this is a thrilling kind a story...
Yes, it was confusing. I had to disregard those characters so that I could actually focus on the story. The novel was amazing, it was just a tad confusing.
Dennis Munai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Dennis Munai »

The story is awesome and I really liked it
Ellie Gatillo
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Dennis Munai wrote:The story is awesome and I really liked it
I agree that the story is awesome. However, I could not get past the confusing parts and "loose ends" so I ended up giving it a low rating.
Musenya Munyalo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Musenya Munyalo »

I have never read a book like this one that introduce too many characters at once. It was so overly confusing. You give up trying to keep track of who is who.I loved reading it though
Ellie Gatillo
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Thank you, Musenya Munyalo! I gave up trying to keep track of who is who. However, I kept reading because it was really interesting.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I always love to read books that put a new spin on age-old stories. Sounds like the author wasn't so successful with this one. Interesting review though!
Ellie Gatillo
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

MarisaRose wrote:I always love to read books that put a new spin on age-old stories. Sounds like the author wasn't so successful with this one. Interesting review though!
The author planned on making a second installment and it seemed that most of the loose ends here will be answered there. Let's hope for the best!
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Eddie set out to find out who wanted to eliminate him. Will this not be the reason to read on? It's a shame the story ends without the reader getting to know.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”