Official Review: Look Mom, I'm the Dumest One i...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Look Mom, I'm the Dumest One i...

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Look Mom, I’m the Dumest One in My Clas!: One Boy’s Dyslexic Journey" by Sky Rota.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

9 year old Sky Rota loves Minecraft, coming up with Football plays and is a friendly and popular 4th grader. His excitement for the new school year quickly turns to torment as his new teacher, Teacher Winifred, seems to really have it out for him. As things get worse throughout the year Teacher Winifred asks for Sky to be tested, and he and his parents learn that not only does he have dyslexia, he also has ADD. Look Mom, I’m the Dumest One in My Clas!: One Boy’s Dyslexic Journey is written by Sky himself and details the trials and tribulations he faces throughout his school year.

The school Sky had always gone to was one that's welcoming to students, and the reason he initially went there was because the school had always been accommodating to his learning needs. However, Teacher Winifred's focus on making everyone independent means blatantly ignoring all the suggestions his parents have to help Sky out. His papers come back heavily corrected in bright marker, when he asks her to read the instructions she merely tells him to try it again and she even informs the other students not to help! When she "accidentally" sends an assignment back home with a list of everyone's grades - his far below everyone else's, of course - he rightfully feels crushed and cries out "Look Mom, I'm the dumbest one in my class!" (just like the title!). Even when Sky and his parents learn he has dyslexia and new, official suggestions are made to the teacher they're ignored. Sky breaks down, not wanting to ever go to class again, as he's repeatedly embarrassed in front of all his friends. When his teacher won't even let him draw his football plays anymore, demanding that he write them out in cursive instead, it's the last straw.

What I really loved about the book was how well it blended his experiences in class with learning about dyslexia. I'd heard some about it, and for a long time it was pretty common to hear someone joke that they're "a little dyslexic", but I picked up a lot of new information here. For example, dyslexia is different for everyone, and in Sky's case he's an "ear-learner". This means that he learns by hearing, and even when he does manage to read something he doesn't pick it up well despite his incredible memory. He also points out that dyslexia comes with strengths as well as weaknesses, such as how he could put together model planes that were recommended for kids 14+ when he was only 7! Also, while he spells things the way they sound (like the purposeful misspellings in the title of the book), he can remember how to spell things like Ferrari and Lamborghini because he's so fascinated by exotic cars. While he can't tell time, he can relate to it in a way by comparing it to something else, like saying that a potential new school two hours away is "4 whole Spongebobs" away.

It's also worth mentioning that although Sky wrote this book himself and he's dyslexic, it's absolutely perfectly edited by Elizabeth Cameron who he thanks in his acknowledgements. I didn't find a single error in the 120 page book, which is something I can very rarely say about a book I've reviewed! I was hooked from the beginning, wondering how Sky would be able to get through such horrible circumstances in school and when things would get better. I was especially able to relate to the book myself; I dropped out of high school because the tension became so great that I was constantly nauseous and sick. I could feel those emotions through the pages as Teacher Winifred was so relentless with Sky and his school failed him so terribly.

Overall, though, this was a book about hope. Much like Sky focuses on the positives of dyslexia, Look Mom, I’m the Dumest One in My Clas!: One Boy’s Dyslexic Journey is about hope and learning to embrace our own unique strengths. It's an emotional, heartfelt, genuine book that I can't recommend enough, and as such my official rating is 4 out of 4 stars. If you have dyslexia or know anyone with it you should absolutely read the book. If you're a parent, the book also speaks to you about looking for red flags in the behavior of your child(ren). Finally, if you just love encouraging nonfiction books or are interested in an inside look at dyslexia, you should check it out as well. Sky is an incredibly positive, encouraging kid and a force of greatness! The book also includes links to his blog and his YouTube account, both of which I checked out and loved as well.

Look Mom, I’m the Dumest One in My Clas!: One Boy’s Dyslexic Journey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Wow, I have a friend who has dyslexia so I relate to this book. I appreciate you including your personal experience into your review. Thanks for such an insightful review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a great book. It sounds like it offers some hope for others who don't learn the "normal" way. Thanks for the great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
VEQUE
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by VEQUE »

This was such a wonderful,educative piece. I loved reading the book and would recommend it to everyone,from those who suffer from dyslexia to those who don't. It is a good book.4/4
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Wow, this book sounds like a great eye-opener. There is much I still have to learn about dyslexia, and it seems as if this book gives a personal touch to the subject. Thanks for the wonderful review.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I'm really glad the author brought this topic to light. It sounds like a really insightful book for both kids and adults alike. I think a lot of kids will be able to relate to this, mostly because of the 'outsider' theme. Great review!
gurpreetkaur
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by gurpreetkaur »

I have never read any book on dyslexia. So I think its different. I would like to read it soon and keep it in my book shelf. Nice review CataclysmicKnight. Thanks.
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Wow! This sounds like a great book, and your review of it was excellent. I have a learning disability, and while I never had a teacher as awful as Winifred sounds, I did have to deal with many adults that just couldn't (or sometimes wouldn't) understand why I was struggling.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

Great job on the review and adding a personal touch to it. I already know I'll be recommending it to some close family members who have dyslexia.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I believe that this book is very important for people with dyslexia and to promote understanding in those that are not dyslexic. I look forward to reading it especially since you didn't find any spelling or grammar errors at all. Thanks for the review.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

My heart goes out to Sky. That teacher was horrible. Glad he chose to put it in writing. It will relieve his pain. All said and done, congratulations to him for publishing a perfect book with no errors. Nice review.
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

The courage as well as talent in this young boy as brought out in this book makes me want to reconsider my way of doing things. Good review

-- 27 Jul 2017, 03:19 --

The courage as well as talent in this young boy as brought out in this book makes me want to reconsider my way of doing things. Good review
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”