Official Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Official Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by James Craft »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Right to Nominate" by Thomas E Peterson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson is a book about the power of the people over government and how the sovereignty of the people is under malicious threat. It is a work of nonfiction and examines the early days of the United States government and how the founding fathers intended for the country to be governed.

The author holds nothing back in his examination of the problems currently facing our modern world: “And are we today eating the same poisoned fruit of partisanship that sent republics of the past into writing death agonies, one after another?” He is at times brutal in his examination but always has evidence to support his position. Everything in the book is brought back to the ‘framers’ of the constitution, and the opening pages detail many Federalist conversations when writing the constitution and their enmity toward the idea of having political parties. Words such as ‘poison’, ‘malignity’, ‘prostitutes’, and ‘demon’ were used in the discourse of the Constitutional Convention of 1787, a fact which many people (including myself) probably do not know.

There were also many quotes scattered throughout this book from the founding fathers, and the author does a tremendous job of detailing out the history surrounding these quotes and the world in which they took place. There is careful examination of how these founders thought about the country they were building and the steps they took to ensure that partisanship didn’t take control over the common good. The author reiterates this point many times and considers the idea of a ‘rank spirit’ in the human psyche and how it relates to the factions that parties create. He goes as far as to compare this concept to the psyche of murderers.

The book is very well put together, but it does suffer from some flaws: for one thing, the formatting is poor in certain parts and the choice of alignment and paragraph handling feels a little bit off. For another thing, the author's opinions continually bleeds through into the text and it becomes clear how much he despises the idea of parties, and this detracts from the overall power of his message. He is an opinionated person with an agenda denouncing opinionated people with agendas.

That being said, I learned quite a bit from reading this book and would certainly recommend it to history enthusiasts or anyone who see our current political climate and wonders: “was this what the founding fathers intended? How did we get here?” I rate this book three out of four stars for the overall quality of the information being presented, though it loses one star for the problems mentioned above. The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson is an interesting work of nonfiction with a lot of useful information that I believe many people would enjoy reading.

The Right to Nominate
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like James Craft's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

The author sounds like he is locked in a conundrum - like shouting to others that they should stop shouting. This is the kinda book I want to read but leave halfway because I'm bored. Great review.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

It's really too bad the author had such a hard time separating opinions from fact. It sounds like this book contains a lot of pertinent information, but it may be hard to understand all the info given the slanted POV. Interesting review :)
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I have an interest in American history, particularly the revolution and the founding fathers. So I will check this one out more. Thanks for the good review and bringing this book to my attention.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

The author taking time to explain the many quotes he used is a big plus. Quotes can sometimes be difficult to understand. Nice review.
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I'm very interested in the original thoughts of the founding fathers. This sounds like an interesting read for me despite the obvious slant. It's always nice to hear other points of view. Good review!
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

The Right to Nominate sounds like it might help us with the answer to today's political situation in which lies and propaganda are relied on by many politicians. This is frustrating to many voters but is also believed by the gullible. I'm not sure that electing non-party members of Congress would solve the problem either, but we need to try something. We need more reasons built into the system, to force people out before they do the worst damage. Thanks for the review, not the easiest of subjects.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

Excellent review! Having read the book myself, I agree with you on the rating.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”