Review by hsimone -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Review by hsimone -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Retired Reverend William Combs takes readers on a journey of an interpretation of where sin originated in his non-fiction Christian text, Who Told You That You Were Naked? A Refreshing Reexamination of the Garden of Eden.

Combs revisits the Garden of Eden with Adam, Eve, and the infamous serpent. In the Garden, he gives the first people a voice and conversations. Then, he touches upon other Biblical stories and its significance to sin. The readers reflect on Cain, Noah, Moses, Abraham, Jesus, and others.

I really enjoyed the conversations that Adam and Eve held in this book. It made the read more pleasant and easier to follow. Of course, no one has a way of knowing what was said those beginning days, so this contradicts the non-fiction genre, but it was a nice touch for my enjoyment.

The author's tone is conversational and fairly light. He includes his own thoughts and applications to his own life throughout most of the text. At the end of every chapter, there is a list of reflection questions to help readers summarize the content of that chapter. The subsections within each chapter is clearly and appropriately labeled.

It is easy to see that Combs has done quite a bit of research and has given the content much thought. However, I was disappointed in the presentation of information. I was given the impression that most of the read would focus on reexamining the Garden of Eden, but the author included more of the Bible. This isn’t necessarily a negative addition, but for one who isn’t a strong Bible reader, I did feel overwhelmed at times. After trying to connect the pieces together, I found the ending to be repetitive, circling back to the Garden of Eden.

The writing is also distant and not very personal. I have found that I tend to enjoy non-fiction when there’s a more personal connection to the author. Combs did include a few anecdotes of his life. Aside from uncertainty of my feelings toward these snippets of his life, there wasn’t enough for my liking.

I would recommend this read for those who would a deeper look into the book of Genesis and the Bible. Specifically, to those who are Christians or believe in the Christian faith. If there were more personal connection to the author and a bit more focused on one topic of the Bible, then I would have easily given this read a four-stars. As it is, I give this read a 3 out of 4 stars.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed your well-written, insightful review. The premise of the book is very good, but it sounds like the author tackled too much beyond the Garden of Eden. Glad you are able to appreciate the book despite the issues you mentioned.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I definitely felt overwhelmed at times, but I do appreciate the time and effort the author took to compile and write this book. Thank you, bookowlie, for your kind words and thoughts! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I thought about picking this book to review but decided against it. The information in your review confirmed my decision so I appreciate it. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, Spirit Wandering, for reading and sharing your thoughts. I'm glad that my review has helped you in understanding the book more. As I have said if the content was focused on one story of the Bible (making it less confusing for me) and had more personal touches, then I would have given this a 4/4. Thank you, again. :)
Heidi

Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I totally understand what you mean by wanting non-fiction to have that feel of a more personal connection with the author. I guess since this was a somewhat a scholarly book we shouldn't expect that personal connection.
Now concerning some of the snippets from the author's life, I totally believe them because I have also had similar supernatural experiences.
I don't totally agree with his work but we do share some key theological similarities, especially on the concept of sin.
Thanks for the review.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for reading and commenting, Jaime Lync.
Heidi

Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I enjoyed your review. I have read this book, he did not actually focus more on the book of Genesis as many assumed. However, the knowledge of sin, Salvation and faith was shaped through the lens of the new testament.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

Your review is great and when I read the book, I was not disappointed. Great review!
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

I do like reading others' interpretations of various books of the Bible so I might check into this. Thanks for the insightful review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”