Official Review: He Lives to Take Away My Shame by Sheila Wa

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Official Review: He Lives to Take Away My Shame by Sheila Wa

Post by Jeyran Main »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of “He Lives to Take Away My Shame” by Sheila Washington]

He Lives to Take Away My Shame is an autobiography written by Sheila Washington. Her book speaks of her life from the day she is born. It contains the joys, sorrows, and everything she encounters during her life. Sheila is adamant in telling her secrets. She claims that her faith is what helps her to deal with the demons inside. Her book is written in hopes to assist others that may live with secrets.

Without a shadow of a doubt, Sheila’s life has been a very harsh one. From the time she was six years old, her mother Henretta fails to provide a decent and steady home for her. They move homes many times, which unravels any previous relationships. Sheila witnesses girls being abused by the landlord’s kids. Even her best friend is shot and killed, which leaves her devastated. Continuous throughout her life, Henretta arranges her boss to meet Sheila in hotel rooms, only to rape her. Sheila’s first encounter was at the age of twelve. Sheila gets pregnant twice. Once by the rapist and the other by her partner. Close relationships are all terminated due to death or betrayal. She even locates where her biological father resides, but his family wants nothing to do with her.

I found the whole book to be sorrowful, depressing, and disheartening. I felt that there was no light at the end of the tunnel and I failed to recognize any secrets within the book unless the whole story was the secret. The author speaks of faith saving her and wanting it to be a factor of her survival. The title of her book is based on Jesus living, in order to take away her shame. However, there are not as many references to her faith throughout her story.

I admired the fact that Sheila was obedient and obliging when it came to her mother, even though she was in the wrong. The utter truthfulness about the whole endeavor also made the book unique. The literature and the way the book is laid out permits the reader to easily understand her and to bond with the author. Sheila manages to grasp your feelings and have you sympathize with her as she encounters different ordeals in her life. I felt that the author did spend a considerable amount of time emphasizing on side characters in her life and described their ultimate fate in much detail when she could have provided some hope or positive reinforcement to conclude her own destiny. For all the reasons above, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

In summary, I believe the author has displayed her life story in a truthful manner and has successfully written her story in a way to connect with the reader. I recommend this book to anyone that enjoys reading autobiographies with the caution that it does contain unpleasant and descriptive events.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This book had my interest up to the point that you said that it was depressing. I wouldn't want to read a story that didn't have don't have a positive message to them. Besides that, the book sounds interesting.

Great Review! :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:

Post by Jeyran Main »

Thank you. Yes, I agree. I think the Author tried to make it sound like it was a survival but emphasized more on the pain and suffering.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm still pondering this one. I know there are people out there that do have horrible lives and maybe nothing positive did ever happen to them. I'm not sure. I can say it's probably one I won't read. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

The fact that the author claims faith in Jesus , as so do I, makes me want to read the book but you said that there is hardly any reference to her faith so I am a little on the fence about this. I hope to see the light at the end of the book. Thanks for the insightful review.
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:

Post by Jeyran Main »

Yes, it is all true and I totally agree that it has been a harsh life, however, the author finds salvation through Jesus Christ.
jamesokunmd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesokunmd.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by jamesokunmd »

Great review. Very insightful and complete. Will definitely check this one out. A tough topic but look forward to reading it!
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:

Post by Jeyran Main »

Thank you James much appreciated
jamesokunmd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesokunmd.html

Post by jamesokunmd »

Sure thing Jeyran. My pleasure! Your review really pointed out the weaknesses and strengths of the book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”