Official Review: Things You Can Do by Daniel Burnette

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: Things You Can Do by Daniel Burnette

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Things You Can Do" by Daniel Burnette.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Things You Can Do by Daniel Burnette tells the story of a promising fiction writer whose creativity is stifled by the constraints of his employer's censorship committee. Rather than being allowed creative license, the hero must produce works that fit neatly into market-driven templates provided by his superiors. Although thoroughly downtrodden by the limited nature of his job, he decides to devote time to an original work of his own, and is determined to finish it at any cost.

Things You Can Do explores the frustration and despair of a writer who has lost creative control of his work. The main character (who remains nameless throughout the story) wants more than anything to be free from his artistic shackles, but is locked into his bland, thankless job by a contractual obligation. Still, he looks forward to the day when he once again has complete creative freedom, and this possibility inspires him to work on a new story without his employer's knowledge.

In addition to exposing the darker side of traditional publishing, this book discusses the larger social systems that have contributed to the hero's predicament. Media influence and rabid consumerism are given a great deal of attention, and the author shares many interesting insights on these topics. Other subjects woven into the plot include censorship, socioeconomic divisions, and what it means to be a good human being. I found the author's philosophical musings to be intellectually stimulating, and I was impressed by how seamlessly he incorporated these heavy topics into the narrative of the story.

The writing within this book is superb and almost free of errors. The novel is quite detailed considering its short length (one-hundred eighteen pages), and I was able to conjure very clear mental images of the settings and characters. The author also made the bold decision to not bestow names upon his characters, which initially concerned me, as I was afraid that the absence of names would make the dialogue difficult to follow. Thankfully that turned out not to be the case, and I had no problems comprehending who was saying what.

I have no complaints with this book, other than the possibility that some readers might find it to be a bit of a downer. As already mentioned, the author tackles some heavy subject matter and the hero's life is far from ideal, so this isn't the sort of book that one would read to alleviate a bad mood. However, Things You Can Do is a unique and well-written story, and I give it 3 out of 4 stars. This book would be especially appreciated by writers and artists, but I also feel that the main character would be relatable to anyone who has ever felt trapped by their circumstances.

Things You Can Do
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
NickLock
Currently Reading: The Complete Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicklock.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by NickLock »

Great review. It was an intelligent analysis of the book without talking over people. You wrote it in a way that made me interested in reading the book. By the title of the book alone, my interest wasn't sparked. But, your summary along with your musings of the book helped me get a full idea of what I would be reading.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds interesting. I saw this on the list to review, but I wasn't sure it would be any good. I wasn't quite sure about the description. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It does sound unique! Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Very insightful review. I don't care for books where the characters are nameless, but I am glad you enjoyed the story. Congrats to the author for receiving a positive review for a well-written, unique book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I am especially drawn to this book because I'm struggling to write my first fiction novel at the moment.
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

NickLock wrote:Great review. It was an intelligent analysis of the book without talking over people. You wrote it in a way that made me interested in reading the book. By the title of the book alone, my interest wasn't sparked. But, your summary along with your musings of the book helped me get a full idea of what I would be reading.
Thanks! I am glad to help and I hope that you enjoy the book!

-- 19 May 2017, 13:23 --
kandscreeley wrote:It sounds interesting. I saw this on the list to review, but I wasn't sure it would be any good. I wasn't quite sure about the description. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It does sound unique! Thanks for the review.
You are welcome, and thank you for taking the time to read my review!

-- 19 May 2017, 13:24 --
bookowlie wrote:Very insightful review. I don't care for books where the characters are nameless, but I am glad you enjoyed the story. Congrats to the author for receiving a positive review for a well-written, unique book.
Thank you very much! The author does deserve congratulations!

-- 19 May 2017, 13:25 --
Jaime Lync wrote:Great review. I am especially drawn to this book because I'm struggling to write my first fiction novel at the moment.
Thanks! I wish you luck in your writing endeavors!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Zero
Currently Reading: Wings of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Zero »

Great review. I liked the way you wrote the review (It's an informative one I must say). You did nice job on pointing out why some people would not like the book (i.e. because of it's uniqueness and hero far from an ideal life, which is rear).
Anyway, the book sounds interesting to me. Thanks for the review.
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. -Albert Einstein
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I think I would really enjoy reading this book! I think the part that I like the most is the fact that the main character is someone who I can relate to. I can definitely understand the frustrations of being a writer but having to write a certain way. I would prefer for the characters to have names but I think I would still enjoy the book anyway.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

@Zero and Amagine: Thank you both for reading my review! :)
Zero
Currently Reading: Wings of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Zero »

Amagine wrote:...I would prefer for the characters to have names but I think I would still enjoy the book anyway... ?
I know right? It would be tough to discuss about the characters..... :eusa-think: :roll2: :mrgreen:
LivreAmour217 wrote:@Zero and Amagine: Thank you both for reading my review! :)
Nice work :thumbs up:
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. -Albert Einstein
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for the well-written and descriptive review, LivreAmour217! I can't imagine how it must feel to be restrained from your creativity, but I'm sure that it is a real struggle. But, I also like knowing the character's name. I'm always curious how (and why) does an author decide to not name their characters... :eusa-think:

I'm not sure if this is a read for me, since it is a bit of a downer, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the book!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

hsimone wrote:Thank you for the well-written and descriptive review, LivreAmour217! I can't imagine how it must feel to be restrained from your creativity, but I'm sure that it is a real struggle. But, I also like knowing the character's name. I'm always curious how (and why) does an author decide to not name their characters... :eusa-think:

I'm not sure if this is a read for me, since it is a bit of a downer, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the book!
Thank you for reading my review! Even though he was nameless, main character's struggles made him very relatable. I don't know why the author chose to not name his characters, but I've wondered if it was way to get readers to insert themselves into the main character's situation.
WordHound
Currently Reading: The Elf Brief
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordhound.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by WordHound »

Great review! It sounds like this book explores some interesting themes. I'm adding it to my "Want To Read" list.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Somehow I missed this one in the list of books to be reviewed. Your description of the author's philosophical musings has me interested and I will check into this one. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I've never read a book with nameless characters. Just from the description alone, it doesn't sound very interesting, but it sounds as though you really enjoyed it and it is well written. I'll add it to my to read. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”