BOTD Raffle Entries

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

BOTD Raffle Entries

Post by MarisaRose »

Does anybody else get frustrated with the BOTD raffle? I'm always honest with the raffle; if the linked in post isn't up yet, I don't mark that "Yay! I did it." But when I look at the days rankings I see multiple people that have 7 entries for the day before the linked in post is up on Scott's page.

I'm wondering if there is a better way to do the raffle? I understand it would be difficult and time consuming to try to track it manually... but it's just frustrating to see people taking advantage of such a great program...
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Well, that's interesting. I don't use Linkedin or Facebook (only Pinterest), so I don't get those two extra raffle entries. I always assumed there was an automatic system check for the social media entries. It sounds like you should contact Scott directly about this issue. I agree with you that it's annoying to see people taking advantage of the bonus entries.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I noticed it too. I think @"Scott" has a way of checking it, but I am not sure. I tagged him for you.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I was actually just going to say something as well. There are multiple people saying that they have commented and/or shared all entries today (and yesterday) when not all has been posted on appropriate social media sites. It kind of stinks when people aren't honest. :(
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>

Post by MarisaRose »

@hsimone I couldn't agree more! Especially because I have so much love for this site and for the author's that utilize us as reviewers. The point of the raffles is to help the authors of the BOTDs get the word out/provide feedback. It's not right for people to be so greedy when the point of the raffle is to be rewarded for helping out. Just really frustrating for those of us that want to make use of this site honestly...
gali

Post by gali »

MarisaRose wrote:@hsimone I couldn't agree more! Especially because I have so much love for this site and for the author's that utilize us as reviewers. The point of the raffles is to help the authors of the BOTDs get the word out/provide feedback. It's not right for people to be so greedy when the point of the raffle is to be rewarded for helping out. Just really frustrating for those of us that want to make use of this site honestly...
:ditto:
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote:
MarisaRose wrote:@hsimone I couldn't agree more! Especially because I have so much love for this site and for the author's that utilize us as reviewers. The point of the raffles is to help the authors of the BOTDs get the word out/provide feedback. It's not right for people to be so greedy when the point of the raffle is to be rewarded for helping out. Just really frustrating for those of us that want to make use of this site honestly...
:ditto:
I agree wholeheartedly, as well. Thank you for bringing up this point, MarisaRose.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

:tiphat: thank you for participating in the discussion! Glad to know I'm not the only one frustrated by this...
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Here's my issue. I waited and waited and waited yesterday for the LinkedIn post to be posted. When it still hadn't been late yesterday, I want ahead and said yay I did it. Why? It wasn't for the raffle entry. It was for the extra points on the review team. Why should I lose a point for not posting on linked in when it wasn't my fault that I didn't post? Just my thought. Maybe some others as well...
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gali

Post by gali »

kandscreeley wrote:Here's my issue. I waited and waited and waited yesterday for the LinkedIn post to be posted. When it still hadn't been late yesterday, I want ahead and said yay I did it. Why? It wasn't for the raffle entry. It was for the extra points on the review team. Why should I lose a point for not posting on linked in when it wasn't my fault that I didn't post? Just my thought. Maybe some others as well...
It is unfair to the other reviewers/contenders who were honest about it. It is cheating no matter how you put it.

@Scott
A retired Admin/Mod

bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I think the people who cheat should be disqualified from future participation in the daily giveaways.
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:I think the people who cheat should be disqualified from future participation in the daily giveaways.
I agree! Also, the points should be taken out of the score.
A retired Admin/Mod

MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

I'm going to agree with @bookowlie on this one. Losing one point on the review team is most likely NOT going to drop you down a level. And if it does, you will easily gain that point back a few days later when you continue entering HONESTLY into the raffle... just sayin' cheating to get ahead is still cheating.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

MarisaRose wrote:I'm going to agree with @bookowlie on this one. Losing one point on the review team is most likely NOT going to drop you down a level. And if it does, you will easily gain that point back a few days later when you continue entering HONESTLY into the raffle... just sayin' cheating to get ahead is still cheating.
I agree.
When I joined, there were no social media bonus points in the score. Your score consisted of participation in the forums, and the quality and popularity of your reviews. No matter what the reason, members should not be allowed to gain points or raffle entries by claiming to do something they didn't do. I only do Pinterest and there are some days I lose a bonus point because the BOTD is not there earlier in the day, and I don't get a chance to do it later. Even if there is a glitch or delay, people shouldn't be adding an entry or point when they didn't do anything to earn it.
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think there should be allowances made on days when the entry NEVER gets posted. Like it did yesterday.

-- 19 May 2017, 12:14 --

I'm not talking about when people just say all the time that they did it and they didn't. I'm talking about days like yesterday when there was absolutely NO post.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”