Official Review: Counterfeit by Lee Carver

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Official Review: Counterfeit by Lee Carver

Post by NadineTimes10 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Counterfeit" by Lee Carver.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Although money has been tight, Kendra Cooper has managed to save up for a trip to Amsterdam to study original paintings by renowned artists. While she studies, she may even have a chance to experiment with her own creative ideas. However, she’s being watched by Dr. Richard Reed, a temporary member of Interpol. Richard suspects that Kendra may be a copyist involved in creating and selling counterfeit paintings. When it turns out that Kendra could actually become Richard’s partner in tracking down frauds, it may put both of their lives in jeopardy in Counterfeit, a novel by author Lee Carver.

This story brings together a fitting blend of art, travel, romance, danger, and faith. Through the characters’ observations and dialogue, the author includes plenty of details on the history, techniques, and authentication of fine art. There are also interesting ties between Kendra and Richard’s mission and The Holocaust. The novel isn’t a fast-paced read with many action-packed scenes throughout, but the suspense comes on gradually, in a way that matches the overall story.

Likewise, there’s an unpretentious flow to the novel as a whole, with romance that begins and deepens at a mild pace. Readers may also take special notice of Kendra’s character. While it’s rather common for decidedly independent heroines to have a prickly or even snide quality to them, Kendra isn’t that kind of character. There’s a certain grace to her independence and how she chooses to engage in relationships. Her inward conflict is realistic as she weighs her principles against pressing temptations regarding her vocation.

Now, the story has its modest share of weaknesses. There are some aspects to the suspense that aren’t wholly convincing. Because spotting and going after art frauds isn’t the safest endeavor, it seems the main characters doubt or dismiss their misgivings too easily. The prospect that they might truly be in harm’s way shouldn’t be surprising to them, and some of their choices are rather obvious setups for dangerous events. However, those slip-ups are more forgivable than they would have been if Kendra and Richard were career detectives.

On a more technical note, the final section of the last chapter might have worked better as an epilogue. Because the end is the only place where this story makes such a huge leap in time, its final scene feels like a sudden add-on to the chapter. An epilogue indicates that a wide gap in time may be ahead, so that the reader isn’t caught off guard by it.

Nevertheless, the novel’s minor flaws don’t detract from its smooth style, appealing intrigue, and inspirational message. Therefore, I give Counterfeit a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I’d recommend it to readers of Christian romance and romantic suspense who may enjoy learning more about fine art.

Counterfeit
View: on Bookshelves

Like NadineTimes10's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a pretty intriguing adventure. It reminds me a little bit of the TV Show White Collar. Thanks for the warning about the last chapter. It's good to know that way the reader can approach it as an epilogue. Great review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

kandscreeley wrote:Sounds like a pretty intriguing adventure. It reminds me a little bit of the TV Show White Collar. Thanks for the warning about the last chapter. It's good to know that way the reader can approach it as an epilogue. Great review!
Thank you and you're welcome! I've not heard of the TV show White Collar. Is it a crime drama? I get into those on occasion. :D
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

This seems like an interesting read! However, I like to read books that are fast paced so I don't think this is the book for me. Great job on the review!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

ZenaLei7 wrote:This seems like an interesting read! However, I like to read books that are fast paced so I don't think this is the book for me. Great job on the review!
Thank you kindly!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I do agree that it sounds like the TV show, White Collar! I think that's why I'm intrigued by the concept of the book. White Collar is basically about a con artist who partners with an officer to take down other con artists and criminals. It sounds similar to this book.

I also like the heroine in the novel. She sounds like a realistic character that readers may be able to relate to.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Amagine wrote:I do agree that it sounds like the TV show, White Collar! I think that's why I'm intrigued by the concept of the book. White Collar is basically about a con artist who partners with an officer to take down other con artists and criminals. It sounds similar to this book.

I also like the heroine in the novel. She sounds like a realistic character that readers may be able to relate to.

Great Review! ?
Ah--thanks for explaining! It does sound like someone who enjoys the show may enjoy this book, and vise versa. :)
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Hey, NadineTimes10,
Thank you for your wonderful review, I feel it was honest, brilliant and to the point.
I always loved that quality of espionage, even a hint and not governmental, and a bit of romance what this story contains, I would go for this one.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

geoffrey ngoima wrote:Hey, NadineTimes10,
Thank you for your wonderful review, I feel it was honest, brilliant and to the point.
I always loved that quality of espionage, even a hint and not governmental, and a bit of romance what this story contains, I would go for this one.
You're welcome! Thanks for reading, Geoffrey. :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”