Review by Miriam Molina -- The Expelled by Mois Benarroch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by Miriam Molina -- The Expelled by Mois Benarroch

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Expelled by Mois Benarroch is a work of fantasy written in metafiction style, with stories within stories, using the bus as his symbolic element to represent life as a journey or a ride.

The book begins with our protagonist going home from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem aboard a bus. He is a struggling author who has finally found success for his latest book and is awaiting its publication soon. But this good fortune does not alleviate his boredom and dissatisfaction with his life: He is financially distressed and has been jobless for months. He believes his wife, who is providing for him, wants to divorce him. He is unhappy about his origin as a descendant of the Sephardim Jews, the expelled, and is experiencing increasing discrimination from other Jews and other races. Then, when he gets off the bus, at the bus station, he imagines accidentally bumping into his wife as her young self (of some 30 years ago when they first met) and starts an exciting affair with her in his mind.

The main body of the book shows him reading his novel to his mistress upon her behest. The focal story is about a bus ride from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean with around 60 people on board. In the bus, all sorts of bizarre incidents happen to two classes of people, the controlling majority (front people) and the subservient minority (back people). The incidents center on basic life issues like the right to food, use of the can, punishment for crime, freedom of religion, and racial and cultural differences. The bus eventually figures in an accident that kills most of the people on board and a terrorist hijacking is suspected.

After the storytelling is over, the book closes with the author protagonist realizing the truth about his own life, with such enlightenment happening at a bus station.

The book was a dizzying roller-coaster ride, at times losing me in its dips and turns. It was as if I were on the bus, hearing all the noise, smelling all the odors and experiencing all the bumps and roadblocks.

I finished the book in one sitting because I was hooked to find out what the end would be. The conversations are interesting, especially the different stories shared by the bus's myriad riders (representing rich and poor, sick and lonely, loved and abandoned.) Songs and music are likewise effectively used to enhance the experience of what is occurring in the scenes. But it was difficult to follow who was speaking because of Mr. Benarroch's penchant for using the first person, his many asides, and the absence of chapter breaks. I had to reread a couple of times to fully appreciate Mr. Benarroch's style and humor.

There are memorable lines from the flirtatious repartee with his young wife and the verbal exchanges in the bus. Many of the incidents and stories shared during the bus ride are absurd or repulsive (the first passenger to die named cash became a saint; the back people were banned from using the can; one passenger escaped from being an organ donor for free, to list a few) but ring true in our world where inequality is the norm. The other story told as read from a notebook is a discourse on the difficulties experienced by a Sephardim.

I believe the book is for mature readers because of the sensitive topics discussed, the graphic sexual descriptions and the writer's challenging style of prose. If one wants entertainment, this is not the book for you. You have to give it your full attention. I will wager that lovers of history would enjoy it. Personally, after reading the book, I was prompted to mull over my own life and be grateful.

I give the book 3 out of 4 stars as I learned a lot about the plight of the Sephardim Jews, and relished my first experience of metafiction. But I still prefer the traditional way of storytelling. All told, I thank Mr. Benarroch for taking me for the breathless ride.

The Expelled
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Miriam Molina's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I have read a few of Benarroch's book and his work is really thought provoking but i met tons of editorial issues in his work that bring down its value for me.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thank you for your comment.

Benarroch is an Israeli who writes in French, Spanish and Hebrew. Perhaps the editorial issues arise in the translations and are no fault of his?

I am in the middle of reading another of his books and agree that he does thought-provoking work. Not for the fainthearted, this author!
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Great review. Doesn't sound like the book is for me, but you give an excellent sense of what it's like.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

H0LD0Nthere wrote:Great review. Doesn't sound like the book is for me, but you give an excellent sense of what it's like.
Thank you for the kind words. I agree that the book is not for everyone. It is profound.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for the insightful review! I love that you were "...prompted to mull over my own life and be grateful." It's great when a book can make you think. I'm not sure how I feel about the sexual scenes or the intensity of the book, but I'm glad that you were able to still enjoy the read!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thanks for your interest. Mois Benarroch really gets you thinking about your own life because he seems so unhappy with his. I empathize with him; it is difficult to feel that you don't belong.
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Post by k2rugman »

I didn't make it all the way through this book. His writing style is not one that I enjoy. I also struggled with all the grammatical and editorial issues which seems to be common in his books.
Last edited by k2rugman on 26 May 2017, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

I believe the grammatical and editorial issues arose in the translation. Too bad they discourage readers. I agree that the author's style is different and may be difficult to follow. But you cannot fault him for lack of passion.

Thanks for your comment.
lancer254
Currently Reading: Confrontation
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by lancer254 »

great review
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi Lancer254. Thanks for reading and commenting.
Your name reminds me of my first car (sold it ages ago). I wonder if it's still running or has been expelled.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Very well written review.
But I guess I didn't like its plot.
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi Darakhshan Nazir! Thanks for reading and commenting. Mois Benarroch is in a class all his own. If you dare to read any of his books, you will know what I am talking about. :wink:
Ficninja
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ficninja »

I would love to be on that bus and meet this author protagonist for myself. I'm not used to metafiction, but it sounds like there are is a whole variety of interesting characters to meet. And a man meeting a younger version of his wife, Hollywood, you taking down notes? Great review Words are indeed powerful little monstrosities. An intellectual read every now and then has always been a treat to the mind, so why not? Excellent review Miriam Molina!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thanks so much for the nice comments, Ficninja, and welcome to OBC. I absolutely love your avatar.

You are very welcome to try Benarroch. And don't forget to tell me how you find him.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”