Review by EMoffat -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Review by EMoffat -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by EMoffat »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole is a fantasy book set in modern times telling a gripping story of a young woman named Abigail who is on the fight to stop evil spreading through the world from supernatural beings. As a hunter for the Council she is tasked with tracking down and eliminating demons from the world but she has other matters on her mind. After losing her mentor to the underworld, a man who was balancing on a fine line between battling monsters and becoming one, who gave himself up so she could be saved – she cannot rest until she finds out what has happened to him. Even though she has been forbidden to search into such matters. Now, under the careful eye of the Council she has been sent to Raven's Peak to investigate strange activity, unknowingly walking into something bigger and powerful than she had ever dreamed of.

Little did she know that along the way she would pick up a civilian, Haatim, who has now been caught up in a world he can't hope to understand. But as the story progresses she realises she has begun to trust him as she reveals secrets about her past and maybe Haatim is more than he initially seems.

An extremely well written book from the first line, hooking the reader immediately and drawing them fully into the story. The pages turn themselves as the fast paced story pulls the reader along with it, leaving them always wanting to know more.

The descriptions in the book are beautifully written, creating a clear and vivid picture of the setting and characters as they are caught up in their whirlwind adventure. The fact that it is set in modern times is exceptionally clever and makes it very relatable to the reader. The use of social media platforms and technical gadgets encasing a world of fantasy into a world that is known created an amazing setting – I have never come across another author who has managed to capture both worlds so gracefully. It was this that I enjoyed most about the book.

Along with the beautiful descriptions the book is strikingly easy to read and you realise you have spent hours leafing through the pages when it has felt like minutes. The writing style and character are witty and engaging and you end up caring a lot for them. As the book is so easy to read you sometimes forget about the dark undercurrent and find yourself reading particularly dark passages, which are written in a casual manner, more than once to make sure they really happened.

The interweaving of different religions and bringing them together in unity to conquer evil was also very inventive and the book gives a clear message about the importance of faith – even if that faith is just in yourself. The message amplified by how hard it can to keep faith when the world around you is deteriorating into madness.

The fast pace, twists and turns and dark undercurrent of the book in an easy to read, gripping page turner leaves me with no doubt but to award Raven's Peak with 4 out of 4 stars. The book was outstanding and left me wanting to immediately read the next one. It is very relatable to many ages from teens upwards – missing out the younger ages because of a few gruesome scenes. An extremely enjoyable read!

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EMoffat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I also read and reviewed this and I totally agree with you that it was well written.
CocoTam
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by CocoTam »

Another great review of this book! All the reviews are really good and your raises some really interesting points. I am looking forward to reading it. Thanks!
T-Tam

Post by T-Tam »

It seems like you really enjoyed this book! I have not read many fantasy fiction book that includes contemporary aspects,and I can imagine that, if done well, could be an extremely pleasant experience.
You have certainly got me intrigued in the author's writing style. Although the plot is not something I would usually go for, I relish descriptions that are well written and that simply carry the book to a whole other level.

I have read your other reviews, and thoroughly enjoy them. The first paragraph however, is a bit disorganised and the sentences could be structured better. Your reviews of Solaris Seethes and Raquel Says for example, are succinct and informative. Carry on the good work!
Janien van Rooyen
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janien-van-rooyen.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by Janien van Rooyen »

Busy reading this book now. I'm about 70% done with it and your review absolutely justifies it. Well done!
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
EMoffat

Post by EMoffat »

Thanks all for the comments! If you like the first one you should get the other two from the series. It is nice to not have to wait for them to come out and they are just as good as the first! Also there is a small prequel which is free for the kindle on Amazon :)
David Wolfe

Post by David Wolfe »

Great review.
EMoffat

Post by EMoffat »

Thanks David Wolfe!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”