Official Review: The Theory of Talking to Trees

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Theory of Talking to Trees

Post by e-tasana-williams »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Theory of Talking to Trees" by Karl Dehmelt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Theory of Talking to Trees, the novel by Karl Dehmelt, is a complex story about two men struggling with mental illness. Stephen Christiansen is a successful author, and engaged to Phoebe. He proposed seven years ago, and Phoebe insists other conditions must be met prior to setting a wedding date. Isaac Sellers is a down-on-his-luck factory worker, and engaged to Olivia. A man of modest aspirations, he struggles to survive day to day. Stephen and Isaac's paths cross during a near-fatal mugging and they become fast friends, partly based on their shared pathologies. Without including spoilers, both of their relationships are changed dramatically through the course of the story.

Both Stephen and Isaac suffer from lives touched by mental illness. Isaac, from a poverty-stricken background, has little to shield him from the ravages of schizophrenia. Stephen, on his way to becoming a best-selling author, is more functional, until he's not. Mental illness or not, the characters have good advice for us all. One example is when Isaac tells Stephen, "I can only judge myself, and base my actions on being better than who I was yesterday." (P. 158)

The Theory of Talking to Trees is about mental illness, but it is also about the relationships experienced by its sufferers. Although the specific diagnoses are only named briefly, the audience gets a snapshot of the complexities and cruelties involved. The Theory of Talking to Trees also spotlights the writing process. Both Stephen and Isaac use writing as a coping mechanism. Stephen works for a publishing house and Isaac has a manuscript he would like to publish.

Readers of literature can appreciate this novel. Artistically written, it is reminiscent of a good short story. An example is the abundant use of simile and metaphor found throughout the tale. One memorable metaphor describes a family's experience after a near-fatal accident: "They scrape the morsels of optimism from a full plate of tragedy, fearing the young man might not awaken from his comatose state." (P. 7) While he writes about writing, Mr. Dehmelt uses lyrical prose to add yet another layer of complexity to the work.

The book appears to be professionally edited, with less than a handful of errors noted. This is an important point for a work about a professional editor working for a publishing company! Nice touch, Mr. Dehmelt. I rate The Theory of Talking to Trees 4 out of 4 stars. The writing is poetic, I found myself rooting for the intriguing characters and the descriptions of life with mental illness are authentic.

The Theory of Talking to Trees
View: on Bookshelves

Like e-tasana-williams's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I love that this is book that addresses mental illness because it is something many people suffer from. I also like that it is an inspirational read with quotes that can be applied to everyday life.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Nice review! This sounds like a poetic read. :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sometimes its difficult to write about mental illness in an authentic way. It sounds like this author does a great job. It sounds like a book with a message for us all yet entertaining at the same time. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

Thanks for the review, e-tasana-williams. I'm looking forward to reading it.
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

The author seems to have cleverly used the medium of a novel to bring attention to mental illness in society - which is a good thing. The story line is interesting, and seems to be well executed. Kudos for the review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
abriana favors
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by abriana favors »

Wow it actually sends like a good book to read. It got my attention because I love to read books that are different like this one. I love how he had titled the book which makes it even more interesting to read.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This sounds like a book you read in one sitting. Great review. I love that you mention that the writing is poetic.
Ella Rose Orocio

Post by Ella Rose Orocio »

hmmmm its nice
maybe,i can read the whole story
Sonjastaples100

Post by Sonjastaples100 »

Great review...
DennisK

Post by DennisK »

I just finished reading The Theory of Talking to Trees. The book was well written, and its story engaging. After finishing the book, I was confronted by a stark difference between what I perceive to be two different types of what we call “mental illness”. I wouldn't consider Stephen as being mentally ill, because the cause of his depression was very real. Isaac, on the other hand, had a medical problem involving his brain. Isaac's story, for me, empathized the personal courage required of someone afflicted with this kind of disease.
But even as I write this, I find myself questioning what I consider mental illness. If we live long enough, everyone of us will experience loss. It seems to me that depression would be a natural response to that loss – such is life. What should we do in this case, take a pill? Numb our brains as though it never happened? I remember reading somewhere, a North American Indian philosophy which stated that one should acknowledge the loss – one should honor the pain. So, how does one 'honor' the pain? I think Stephen found a way through his friendship with Isaac. Finding your way out from under shadows is a very personal process. I think each path is as unique as we are individuals.

Thank you, e-tasana-williams for bringing this book to my attention
Thank you, Karl Dehmelt for writing it.
:tiphat:
Dayang Siti Zuraida
Currently Reading: Superhighway 2
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Dayang Siti Zuraida »

Great review DennisK. Definitely I will read this book also. Tq.
DennisK

Post by DennisK »

Dayang Siti Zuraida wrote:Great review DennisK. Definitely I will read this book also. Tq.
Thanks, Dayang Siti Zuraida. It was, for me, a thought provoking read. I hope you profit from it, as I did.
I regret my choice of words when I compared the difference between Stephen's problems and Isaac's metal illness. Isaac's illness was very real. I didn't mean to imply that is wasn't – hope no one read it as such. :oops:
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

DennisK wrote:I just finished reading The Theory of Talking to Trees. The book was well written, and its story engaging. After finishing the book, I was confronted by a stark difference between what I perceive to be two different types of what we call “mental illness”. I wouldn't consider Stephen as being mentally ill, because the cause of his depression was very real. Isaac, on the other hand, had a medical problem involving his brain. Isaac's story, for me, empathized the personal courage required of someone afflicted with this kind of disease.
But even as I write this, I find myself questioning what I consider mental illness. If we live long enough, everyone of us will experience loss. It seems to me that depression would be a natural response to that loss – such is life.
Thank you for pointing out the difference. People so often refuse to acknowledge there is one. :tiphat:

And thank you e-tasana-williams. Your review has peaked my interest. :D
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Sophy Chunge
Currently Reading: The Touch
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-centfie.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by Sophy Chunge »

Looks like a great read. The strong points that you have given about the book definitely show that you have given it the rating it deserves. If characters are writers, it should be an enjoyable book to writers. This review is well-written. Keep it up

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”