Problem: Kindle App won't open .mobi file (Solved)

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Re: Problem: Kindle App won't open .mobi file (Solved)

Post by Scott »

KatiRae wrote:Did you try the solution above? Which one(s)--Option 1, Option 2, or Option 3?
2. Do you get some kind of specific error message? What does it say exactly?
3. What device are you using?
4. Have you ever been able to open a mobi file in the Kindle App on that device?
5. Any other details are helpful.

I tried all three solutions mentioned above as best I could. I am not sure I am doing it right, but I tried. Nothing worked for me. I am using an iPad 2 with the Kindle app. I also tried on my iPhone and my computer. I believe I have done one mobi file before, although I am not positive. Honestly, if possible, I would like to just not try to read this book anymore. I apologize but this has been a real pain in the neck and I am frustrated.
Hi, @KatiRae ,

Can you walk me through what happens when you try "Option 2", which is plugging your phone into your computer by USB and using your computer's file manager to move the mobi file to the "Books" folder in the Kindle app. Can you walk me through what happened when you tried that? You say you tried it, but does that mean you were able to complete all the steps and the book still didn't show up in the Kindle App; or does that mean you were unable to complete the steps as instructed?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
KatiRae
Currently Reading: Dragon's Kin
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katirae.html
Latest Review: "Flaherty's Crossing" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by KatiRae »

I am not sure how to find the "books" folder in the Kindle app. Unfortunately, I am at work right now and can't try doing it all again. I will attempt to do it when I get home.
Latest Review: "Flaherty's Crossing" by Kaylin McFarren
Wahu lucy
Currently Reading: The Kite Runner
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wahu-lucy.html

Post by Wahu lucy »

I downloaded the book with the mobi format and it has completely refused to open even after downloading the kindle app.I have tried to read it through all means,I have moved it countless times to my Pc and i have no idea on what to do next,And trust me that doesnt happen often.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Wahu lucy wrote:I downloaded the book with the mobi format and it has completely refused to open even after downloading the kindle app.I have tried to read it through all means,I have moved it countless times to my Pc and i have no idea on what to do next,And trust me that doesnt happen often.
@"Wahu lucy" Please answer the 5 numbered questions in the original post in this topic to get help.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

Arjun_25
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Arjun_25 »

1. Option 1
2. Cannot open. My Kindle app couldn't sync that file on its books directory nor it has any books directory in file manager.
3. Motorola e3 power
4. No, I haven't tried.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Arjun_25 wrote:1. Option 1
2. Cannot open. My Kindle app couldn't sync that file on its books directory nor it has any books directory in file manager.
3. Motorola e3 power
4. No, I haven't tried.
@Arjun_25 Are you sure the exact and full error message you are getting is just "cannot open". Most error messages are longer than 2 words.

If option 1 is not working for you, please try option 2 and option 3.

You say that inside the Kindle directory device you don't see a books subdirectory. What subdirectories are listed in the Kindle directory?

Sal the Gal
Favorite Author: Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 89">Stig's Flight of Encounters</a>
Currently Reading: Bishop's War
Bookshelf Size: 9
fav_author_id: 64907

Post by Sal the Gal »

Useful info. It's helpful to be able to get solutions here. :D
Tinofirei Muronzi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinofirei-muronzi.html

Post by Tinofirei Muronzi »

Dear Sir/Madam

The above refers.

I am having a difficulty in downloading the book for the month of April 2017 by Friedmann.
I am using my tablet in doing this operation.

Your precious assistance in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Yours faithfully
Tinofirei Muronzi
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Tinofirei Muronzi wrote:Dear Sir/Madam

The above refers.

I am having a difficulty in downloading the book for the month of April 2017 by Friedmann.
I am using my tablet in doing this operation.

Your precious assistance in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Yours faithfully
Tinofirei Muronzi
@"Tinofirei Muronzi" To get assistance, you must answer all the questions in the first post in this topic.

akash2

Post by akash2 »

l do not want to link it with amazon
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

akash2 wrote:l do not want to link it with amazon
@akash2 To get support in this topic, you must answer all the numbered questions in the original post.

Mphilli

Post by Mphilli »

Option 1
No application is available tonopen file.
Something similar to what I just wrote.
Samsung galaxy on5
Never had too.
I have moved it to the kindle folder to the book folder. I even zipped and unzipped the file thinking that would make a difference. I did try xowoading the presigio ereadrr app and it can't download without me deleting my other apps. Those other apps in use daily.
Anthony Wyngaard

Post by Anthony Wyngaard »

I have the same problems as the other members above is it possible to download the file from over.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Mphilli wrote:Option 1
No application is available tonopen file.
Something similar to what I just wrote.
Samsung galaxy on5
Never had too.
I have moved it to the kindle folder to the book folder. I even zipped and unzipped the file thinking that would make a difference. I did try xowoading the presigio ereadrr app and it can't download without me deleting my other apps. Those other apps in use daily.
@Mphilli From what you describe, it sounds like you are trying to open the file when doing "option 1". You don't want to open the file; you want to move the file. Then you read it using the Kindle App. You don't open the file directly. You move it, and then open the Kindle App. I hope that helps!

---
Anthony Wyngaard wrote:I have the same problems as the other members above is it possible to download the file from over.
@"Anthony Wyngaard" To get support in this topic, you must answer all the numbered questions in the first post in this topic.

Mphilli

Post by Mphilli »

Mphilli From what you describe, it sounds like you are trying to open the file when doing "option 1". You don't want to open the file; you want to move the file. Then you read it using the Kindle App. You don't open the file directly. You move it, and then open the Kindle App. I hope that helps!

You'd think that when you moved the file into the kindle app folder that it would appear in the app, what am I doing wrong that it does not appear.
Here are the exact steps:
1. Locate .mobi file in downloads
2. Long press file to select it
3. Click more options
4. Select move
5. Select kindle folder
6. Select done
7. Go to kindle app
8. Press sync
9. Locate book in "all items"

It's not there. Did I do something wrong or am I just stupid.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”