Official Review: Forever King by Diana Sims

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: Forever King by Diana Sims

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Forever King" by Diana Sims.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There is true pain and heart-wrenching grief when it comes to having a stillborn baby. Unfortunately, this is something that does affect a number of families. In the non-fiction text, Forever King: Surviving the Loss of my Unborn Child, Diana Sims gives those who have experienced this pain encouragement and belief that they will smile again.

Diana had the unfortunate experience in giving birth to a stillborn baby boy. She had named him King Josiah Sims. Feeling grief, despair, and lost, Diana’s motivation to leave her house and participate in social outings dwindled quickly. But, with the help of her supporting family and her faith in God, Diana comes out in the end like a shining star and has been able to find peace once more.

Written in the first-person, Sims opens up to what, I’m sure, many women feel when they have a miscarriage. Her thoughts and actions are extremely relatable, and it is easy to see this book being motivating and inspirational to many.

Though not specifically stated, there are three clear sections in this read. The first would be chapters one through three as it depicts the events after Sims’s miscarriage. These first few chapters describe some of the pain that Sims went through. The next group of chapters would be four through nine, where Sims dives deeper into her relationship and faith in God. Throughout these chapters, she weaves in Bible scriptures and takes the readers on her journey to peace and promise for a better tomorrow. The last part would consist of chapter ten, which sums up general advice she provides her target audience.

What is great about this read is its brevity. I can only imagine that those who are the target audience would not want to read neither a heavy nor a dense book about obtaining positivity in your life when giving birth to a stillborn.

The only part of this inspiring read that could be improved would be the beginning first chapters, where I felt like the author was somewhat distant. Of course, it could have been the fact that she was discussing a part of her life that was devastating and knows that women who have had miscarriages might not want to fully relive the pain. Therefore, the distant tone-of-voice might have been on purpose in this section. Though I am happy to say that the rest of the book, her voice is more open, inviting, and uplifting.

With messages of not blaming yourself, seeking faith in God, and being open to express your emotions to others, I am sure this lovely short read will reach many hearts. I happily give Forever King a 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to those who have had the sad experience of a miscarriage, families or friends that have been affected by this, or even to those who would like to have children and might want this as a reference in case they need a lending hand in the future. For those who read this book, please be aware that God is spoken a number of times here, so if you are not a believer, these chapters may not be comfortable for you.

Forever King
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can't even imagine what this would be like. I'm glad there is a book out there like this. Thanks for the review. I hope this is a comfort to those going through a similar situation.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, kandscreeley, for your thoughts. The content is definitely what pulled me in, and I also can't imagine what this would be like. I give high praise to the author for sharing her story and showing how she was able to smile and be happy again. I also hope it's a comfort to those going through a similar situation.

When I read that the baby on the cover is a picture of King, I nearly cried.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

No doubt, this book will be a good resource for parents whose child dies at birth, or a few days after. I know of marriages breaking up due to the pain, and couples holding the other to blame. Such couples can learn from Diana's experience, and her coping mechanism. Thanks for a good review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, Chrys Brobbey, for your thoughts. I agree that many could learn by Diana's example. She really is a strong person, and I'm glad that she was able to find peace again.
Heidi

Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This book is a very important read to so many women. A lot of women don't want to talk about miscarriages or stillborns because it's an extremely sensitive subject and part of them blame themselves for it. It's a conversation that needs to be had though. It's a healing that needs to be done.

I applaud this author for talking about something that is so sensitive but that happens every single day. I'm glad that her book offers positivity to anyone who has experienced this. I'm sure this book will benefit many women.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks for the review I think that both men and women should read this book because it is not just the female that is affected by a miscarriage. Your review is really well written and it inspires me to read this book.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Another well-written review. :) The book seem to be very heartfelt and a helpful read for someone who has had a miscarriage. Thankfully, I never had to go through this, but I have had a few friends who have. They didn't always talk about it when it happened, but much later.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Amagine wrote:This book is a very important read to so many women. A lot of women don't want to talk about miscarriages or stillborns because it's an extremely sensitive subject and part of them blame themselves for it. It's a conversation that needs to be had though. It's a healing that needs to be done.

I applaud this author for talking about something that is so sensitive but that happens every single day. I'm glad that her book offers positivity to anyone who has experienced this. I'm sure this book will benefit many women.

Great Review! ?
The author makes it a point to mention how many don't know how to approach women who have had miscarriages or what to say. Sims emphasizes for women for to speak about their struggles, even if they end up in tears. It's all part of the healing process.

I'm also appreciative of the author taking the time write this book for the same reasons. There really needs to be support for those affected by this tragedy.

Thank you for reading and commenting! :)

-- 06 May 2017, 10:02 --
Jaime Lync wrote:Thanks for the review I think that both men and women should read this book because it is not just the female that is affected by a miscarriage. Your review is really well written and it inspires me to read this book.
I think you're right, Jaime Lync. Both women and men would benefit reading this book. Everyone is affected, including the significant others.

Thank you for kind words, and I hope enjoy this read as much as I did. :)

-- 06 May 2017, 10:07 --
bookowlie wrote:Another well-written review. :) The book seem to be very heartfelt and a helpful read for someone who has had a miscarriage. Thankfully, I never had to go through this, but I have had a few friends who have. They didn't always talk about it when it happened, but much later.
Thank you, bookowlie. :) It's definitely a sensitive subject and one that so sad to discuss. We don't have children yet, so I don't know what the future holds, but it definitely made me think. Even though, Sims makes it a point to say that it doesn't matter when women have a miscarriage, it's still so sad in her case because she almost made it to full-term when it happened.

I applaud her and all those women who bounce back in life after something like this happens.
Heidi

Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Beautiful story. It is really very painful to have a still born child. Excellent review of a very painful story.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, Shreyoshi Sen! I can't even imagine having a stillborn child. I give a lot of credit and praise for the author to be able to have positivity in life again and sharing her story and thoughts.
Heidi

Nosiphiwo Portia
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Nosiphiwo Portia »

Thank you so much for sharing this with us, this kind of stories could change many lifes who have been through this and to those who havent been through such pain.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

You are right, this book can help many out there to know they are not alone and that they will see themselves smile once again. Thank you for your thoughts, Nosiphiwo Portia. :)
Heidi

Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I can't even imagine going though that. This is a very important read. This book sounds like it would be good for anyone that has experienced great loss. It's very inspiring that she found hope again. Thanks for the review.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, Kitkat3, for your thoughts. I agree, this must have been such a devastating time in the author's life, but it's great to hear that she was able to find happiness again. I hope that others who have gone (or is going) through this finds hope, as well.
Heidi

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”