Official Review: When Leaves Fall by C.A. King

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: When Leaves Fall by C.A. King

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When Leaves Fall" by C.A. King.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ralph wakes up with vision issues in his left eye and trouble remembering what caused it or how he ended up in a small, badly-thrown-together shack. He soon realizes there's a way out, but when he walks out of the shack he's choked and yanked back. It's then he realizes it - he's chained up and can't escape after all. To make matters worse, when he turns to return to the shack he's hit by something repeatedly until he's knocked out. When Ralph awakens he's in great pain and is trying to figure out what's going on. Who is this man? Why is he being treated this way? Where is his family? Why won't anyone he hears nearby come save him when he calls out for them?

C.A. King, author of When Leaves Fall describes her book perfectly as "a dramatic thriller with a twist". I was hooked from the first page, wondering where Ralph was, why he was there and how he would escape. He's given scraps of food, only the gristle and fatty pieces, but he becomes so desperate he even eats those happily. He's in constant pain, forced to use the bathroom just outside the shack where he can still smell it and does little more than eat and sleep. Things become so hopeless that he even decides the next time he gets the opportunity he'll fight back against his captor, figuring either he'll be let free or killed. Death, Ralph believes, would be better than how he's living now.

C.A. King wasn't lying when she said the book had a twist, and this one is one of the best I've ever seen in any form of media. It kills me to be unable to talk about it, but I know it would ruin the experience if I did. Let me just say this - you'll be blown away! I actually set the book down for a moment and went back to re-read a few pages I was so surprised! This isn't the type of mystery novel where loose ends and plot holes abound, in fact it's exactly the opposite - even after going back through and hoping to find things that go against the surprise I couldn't find a single mistake. The book is expertly written, kept hold of my attention from the first page and never let go. Despite being only 56 pages in paperback it managed to become one of my favorite books of all time.

In addition to the twist and the plot, the writing here is smooth as silk. I noticed only one grammatical error and I breezed through reading the book in record time. My eyes never once stumbled while reading and the scenes are set excellently. There's also an invaluable (surprise) theme here at the end that I'm sure many folks can relate to, and it made the perfect icing on the top of an exceptional book.

There's no question, my official rating for When Leaves Fall is 4 out of 4 stars and I can't recommend it enough. If you like suspense, mystery or a good twist you'll love it, and even if you typically shy away from those genres you'll love it too. The book very briefly covers violence and there's no gore, brutal violence, sex or cussing. It was so good that I looked up what else C.A. King has written, and now I want to read the rest of her books as well! If they're anywhere near as good as this one she's definitely an author to follow.

When Leaves Fall
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on iTunes

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It sounds like a great mystery story. I'm not a huge fan of thrillers but this book does sound interesting.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

This sounds like a really cool story. I'm going to have to read it soon to find out what the cool twist is!
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

Well the book definitely sounds intense, and your review of it has peaked my interest. I can't help but wonder, what this "big surprise" is so I may have to read it just to find that out. You did an excellent job with the review and I thank you for sharing it with us.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

The review reads too good to be true - for as small a book as 56 pages. But I believe its authenticity, and I'm all fired up to get the book in my hands. If a novella is so good, then I believe that full length novels by the author would be even better.
I enjoyed reading the review - close to reading the book itself.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Ceciltrixiedom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =164903">A Very Secret Affair</a>
Currently Reading: The Language Of Flowers
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Ceciltrixiedom »

I am amazed with the cover of the book, though my appreciation for book's credibility to read does not depends on the cover yet I am in love at first sight with this book.For me, there is something mysterious in the title ,maybe the same as the content. "When Leaves Fall" is figurative. Fall is symbolic for pain, hurt feeling, tortures even death! (Or any term for negative emotions.) I like the way the reviewer presents this thriller and suspense book...love reading the review....cant wait reading the book.
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

"Writing as smooth as silk" and such a plot twist, sounds like a must read for me! Thanks for the review. I agree with Ceciltrixiedom; that's an interesting title and cover. I'm surprised that so much was accomplished in 56 pages; that's pretty amazing.
Ceciltrixiedom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =164903">A Very Secret Affair</a>
Currently Reading: The Language Of Flowers
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Ceciltrixiedom »

Thank you for appreciating my comment regarding the cover and title Miss Kitkat3.Actually everytime i buy books in the bookstore i just read the back summary of it. I just realize at the end when i was home that the cover and title as a whole is something i dont like lol. But the since the story flows artistically, the cover does not matter to me anymore.:)
mistysnow
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mistysnow »

I can sense your excitement about the book in your review which is awesome by the way. I'm not one for thrillers, but your review has sparked my interest. It makes me wonder if his family wasn't involved in all of this. This book no doubt sounds like a page turner for sure, it almost sounds creepy. Thank you for the review.
melissamaecarolino
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 5
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by melissamaecarolino »

Sounds cool and interesting. Nice review.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Your enthusiastic review of this book has definitely convinced me to read it very soon. C.A. King seems to be on the path to fame. Congratulations!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This sounds so interesting. Great review.
Annabel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Annabel »

Can't wait to read it.... seems interesting
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

This sounded like a fun read from the blurb alone but your glowing review makes it seem amazing. Often when a book (or other media) is purported to have a twist, that is a spoiler in and of itself. It seems to me between the author and yourself you have turned it into just the opposite: suspense. Thanks for the review.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds interesting! It does sound like "a dramatic thriller with a twist". A book that grabs one from the first page must be good. A bit short for my taste, but will check it out. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”