Judging People

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Judging People

Post by Amagine »

Kailey and Sammy weren't so open to the new addition to the farm because she was different than them.

Was there ever a time that someone judged you or you judged someone based on physical or non-physical differences?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

There have been lots of times in my life I was judged because of my appearance or how I speak. Often people I've only spoken to on the phone are surprised by my appearance when we finally meet in person. I remember once I was talking to the mother of one of my college roommates. We were getting ready to go out, and she cautioned me, "Be careful, they just love blonde, blue-eyed girls down there". I chuckled to myself, but just said, "Okay". The next time I talked to her on the phone her daughter must have corrected her because she apologized for her comment!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I am sure there have been situations where I have been judged, but I either don't remember at the moment or I was unaware that it was happening. I have been the subject of gossip before, but none of that was said to my face. Usually I try very hard not to judge people, but I have been guilty of this before. I am not proud of it, but unfortunately we are all probably guilty of judging someone in some way or another. None of us are perfect, the best we can do is live and learn.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

I'm not going to go into this too much, I'll just say that by now the only thing I expect from people is harsh judgment. Knowing how it feels to be judged is why I have questionable judgment when I need to assess people - I tend not to see character flaws or things like that until much later when it would have paid to be more cautious.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I have definitely judged other people and I'm pretty sure other people have judged me as well. I usually judge people based on appearances. For example, if they look unkempt or have a bad hair day, I wonder why they look that why but then chide myself for thinking that way. I try not to judge people and I usually keep my thoughts to myself.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

Sometimes we intentionally judge others and sometimes unintentionally. I know myself, I cannot judge anyone by appearance even if I try to. However, the way someone speaks, or use language gives me some idea of their disposition.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

We all judge people when we first meet them, whether we know it or not. We just have to try to look past that first impression and approach with an open mind.
Tomiwa
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Tomiwa »

i donot usually judge people because no one is perfect,except God.many a times i have been judged by other people.
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

It's kind of fascinating to me how these judgements work.

My partner gets comments about her weight from strangers, people flirting with her, catcalling her, insulting her looks or asking her out.

I don't get any of that. We're roughly the same weight, and look similar enough that we can pose as sisters.

She says I tend to look like I'm kind of oblivious to the world, but I'd be able to take care of myself; so people who would be friendly don't engage, and people who wouldn't be don't target me.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
Rattusv
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rattusv »

I judge people all the time and make decisions why I could or couldn't like them based on their attitude, personal hygiene, and conduct with others. Right or wrong we all do it.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

I was and still am judged because of my shyness towards strangers. I generally don't start interacting with strangers immediately and take time to mingle and share my thoughts with them. Because of this I am generally thought of as an arrogant person. However when people come to know me better they say that they were mistaken earlier by my aloofness.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

I've been judged based on physical appearances that I CAN'T control. I've judged people based on actions and words that they CAN control.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I agree that we all judge people, whether we admit it or not, especially those who are not like us. Everyone has biases because of race, economic status, hurtful experiences, educational attainment and what not. The challenge is to accept and love ourselves however other people see us and to accept and love others despite the flaws we see or imagine about them. That is the heaven that we all seek.
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby

Post by papaya12 »

Judging people is one of my greatest flaws and I feel that I should be working it. You can basically be sure that when I walk in a room that I'm judging all of you. I think the reason why i do it so easily is that it doesn't hurt my feelings when people judge me. I couldn't care less what you think about me. Also, to answer your second question, I'm sure that people have judged me many times and I just don't know about it.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

papaya12 wrote:Judging people is one of my greatest flaws and I feel that I should be working it. You can basically be sure that when I walk in a room that I'm judging all of you. I think the reason why i do it so easily is that it doesn't hurt my feelings when people judge me. I couldn't care less what you think about me. Also, to answer your second question, I'm sure that people have judged me many times and I just don't know about it.
I think that it is very inspiring that you can admit your flaws. Judging people was once a huge flaw of mine as well. I've gotten better with it but every now and then bad habits surface.

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”