Official Review: Self Examination by VK Grover

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Official Review: Self Examination by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Self Examination" by VK Grover.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Self-Examination by V K Grover is a book in the non-fiction genre. This book provides an interesting insight into alternative diagnostic and healing practices.

The book focuses on traditional medicine practiced in the East, specifically Chinese and Indian techniques. The author’s objective in penning down this book is to help the reader identify symptoms of various diseases and ailments, by observing their eyes, ears, tongue, nails, fingers, skin, and pulse. The author also recommends some techniques like acupressure to cure minor maladies at home, before heading to the doctor or popping the pill.

The book has been divided into ten chapters, where most of the chapters focus on a particular body part, for example the eyes, and how the reader can observe the particular organ to examine their health and try alternative healing methods, if available. The rest of the chapters focus on some specific healing techniques, such as Shiatsu and Reiki.

The author provides a wide array of well-labeled diagrams and pictures, to aid the reader and complement the extensive information given in the book. Coming to the writing style, the sections start with how to recognize the symptoms reflected in the body part, what these symptoms indicate, when should the reader contact a physician, how to prevent the particular malaise, and an exposition on alternative cure for the same. The book provides step-by-step instructions on how to analyze the organs, for instance, not hanging out the tongue for more than fifteen seconds as that would alter the color and make identification of symptoms difficult.

There are some interesting facts in the book as well, for example, wearing ornaments in the ear, which is nothing new to Indian and Chinese culture, not only serves a decorative purpose but is a proven acupuncture technique too; or how the tongue represents the entire gastrointestinal tract.

Despite the vast information highlighted in this book, there were a number of factors that obstructed the absorption of this information. The formatting was a huge let down. Starting with the alignment of paragraphs, to proper division of sections, to fluctuating font style and sizes, unnecessary capitalization of words in the middle of sentences; there were a quite a few irritating errors in this book. Also, there are places where the author writes about different constitutions in Ayurveda, but he doesn’t provide a sufficient background on the same, which can confuse readers unfamiliar with Ayurveda and Pranic healing.

The book packs in some good material on self-diagnosis in a few pages; however, poor editing gives the book an appearance of a rough draft or collection of notes. Therefore, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Self Examination
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like debo9967's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It's too bad that the book is poorly edited. Besides that, it sounds like a very informative read because of all the material on self-diagnosis and techniques given. Hopefully the author will have the book properly edited.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Despite the editing, I think this book has a lot of good information. I think the East has had some things correct for quite a while now. We could all do to take a lesson from them in the area of natural medicine or healing. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

This is some very valuable information. I didn't know that wearing earrings is like a form of acupuncture. It's too bad that the book needs so much editing; those errors you described drive me nuts. I'll probably still read it though. Great review!
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

I'll like to find out how well-labeled diagrams and pictures can me self-diagnose any symptoms I may have. Eastern medicine may look unorthodox, but there may be some sense in them. Question is, can you experiment with health issues?
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Katuya
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Katuya »

Though poorer edited but has some meaningful information for example examining various symptoms of various diseases and aliments and how you can treat minor diseases like ocupressure before you proceed to see a physician or doctor. It helps some to examine his health and try alternative method for example can concentrate on eyes
Booklovertoinfinity
Currently Reading: Life Before
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Booklovertoinfinity »

Awesome review but again not my type.
Hey can someone send me the link for romance novels.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”