Official Review: Sense of Touch by Rozsa Gaston

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Official Review: Sense of Touch by Rozsa Gaston

Post by Acwoolet »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sense of Touch" by Rozsa Gaston.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sense of Touch: Love and Duty at Anne of Brittany’s Court is an exquisitely written historical fiction novel by Rozsa Gaston. Set in the late 1400’s, the story of Anne of Brittany, Queen of France, is told through the eyes of fifteen-year-old Nicole St. Sylvain, a member of Anne’s court. Through Nicole we witness the tragedies Anne faces due to the loss of five of her children and how she perseveres through those losses.

As daughter of a wealthy merchant and noble through her mother, Nicole is the sole heir to her family’s money, meaning she must marry into a well-founded noble family to secure her future. However, when she falls in love with a young horse trainer, Philippe de Bois, the plans her family has for her changes everything she has begun to hope for. As her relationship with Philippe begins to grow, Nicole also discovers that she has been given the gift of healing. With this gift, Nicole must attempt to heal the royal child, securing her place in court and giving her hope that she may be rewarded with what she truly desires.

Although the story of Anne of Brittany’s life is devastatingly tragic, the way in which this story is written tells her tale with great reverence without completely shattering the reader’s emotions. Nicole’s first person narration demonstrates the magnificent strength and perseverance that Anne carries throughout her life, all while continuing with her role as Queen of France. Anne’s role, not only as Queen in Nicole’s life: but complete roll model, confidante, and friend nurtured Nicole in ways that she had never expected.

Sense of Touch is a beautifully written novel that will transport the reader back in time, giving the reader a wonderful appreciation of what life was like in late Medieval France. The dialogue never leaves the reader in a dull moment and sets a strong steady pace for the entire novel. One will feel great compassion for Anne’s struggles in life all while cheering for Nicole as she discovers the person she is meant to become. The secondary characters, although not as prevalent, greatly fill out the story, leaving a well-rounded novel. The book its self is well edited, creating a very well composed novel and leaves the reader satisfied in their own role in the story.

I don’t know if I can express how much I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, the premise was incredibly intriguing, although I was somewhat hesitant due to how tragic Anne’s life was, I was pleasantly surprised how upbeat the novel was. I had a very hard time putting the novel down and ended up reading it in just a couple of sittings.

I give Sense of Touch: Love and Duty at Anne of Brittany’s Court a 4 out of 4 stars. This incredible novel will touch anyone who reads it, whether they are fans of historical fiction or not.

Sense of Touch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Acwoolet's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I like that it is a historical fiction told through he eyes of a teenager. Instead of being the queen's perspective, we can see how all the events affected the life of the young girl. It sounds very interesting.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. I didn't think this would be a novel I would enjoy, but you make it sounds like it would be fabulous. If you enjoyed it that much, I'll put it on my to read list! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Interesting review. I would read this for sure. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
guguMdlalose
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by guguMdlalose »

it totally good would love to read it....
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

"This incredible novel will touch anyone who reads it, whether they are fans of historical fiction or not." I'm touched by the review to read it as well, so it goes right to the top of my bookshelf.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like one great read. I would love to read about late Medieval and this seems like a good story with fascinating and admirable characters. Nice review. Congratulations to Rozsa Gaston on such an obviously well written book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”