Official Review: The Mindfulness Approach by Dean Nelson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Official Review: The Mindfulness Approach by Dean Nelson

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mindfulness Approach" by Dean Nelson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Most people deal with stress on a daily basis and need to explore effective strategies for managing it. For some people, stress can have the physiological effect of exacerbating a medical condition, making it a more disruptive factor that more urgently requires relief. For Dean Nelson, a chronic gastrointestinal condition was both a cause of and affected by the stress in his life. After years of medical interventions, he discovered a new approach: meditation. In his book The Mindfulness Approach, Nelson tells his story and introduces the reader to an alternative methodology for dealing with daily stresses.

As I read this book, I was astonished by how honest the author was willing to be about his situation. He makes himself vulnerable as he exposes his medical condition and the way it has affected his life. He is brutally honest about some of the physical complications he experienced and the fears that clouded the way he envisioned his future. The author’s willingness to be so open about his experiences enriches the book by helping the reader comprehend the impact of this approach in his life and, by extension, the potential impact for the reader’s life.

The author also created an immensely practical book. There are a number of specific exercises that exemplify the techniques and strategies under discussion. For example, the author names and explains seven specific breathing exercises as well as instructions for some meditation techniques. The specificity may sound like it would become dry or overwhelming, but the text avoids this pitfall, remaining brief and concise. The author identifies techniques like the Silva Method, which worked particularly well for him, as well as other techniques that have experienced a lot of rising popularity, such as Mindfulness meditation.

As I read through this book, the sixth chapter seemed out of joint with the spirit of the rest of the book. Chapter 6 is entirely devoted to introducing another writer/scholar who was a major influence on the author. While a few paragraphs about a person who pioneered the field or became very influential in the application of these strategies would be appropriate, the extent of this introduction makes the chapter sound like a commercial. I felt that it went much too long.

Near the end of the book (page 153 in my copy), Nelson makes a very poignant statement. He writes, “Computers can run 24 hours a day, but they also must be re-booted occasionally to retrieve updates and to clear out unnecessary data or else their processing will slow down or become locked.” In The Mindfulness Approach, Dean Nelson offers techniques and evidence (both anecdotal and factual) supporting breathing and meditation as a way for people to find time to re-boot and de-stress. From his own story to the lengthy reference list at the end, Nelson’s book is full of worthwhile information and practical ideas for people everywhere. Despite a flaw or two, I think the book still merits a full 4 out of 4 stars. It’s relevant, concise, and very personal all at the same time.

The Mindfulness Approach
View: on Bookshelves

Like L_Therese's review? Post a comment saying so!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like one great book. It seems interesting, informative and very helpful. Considering that everybody is under a lot of stress, this book, apparently, can be read by anybody. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Dean Nelson on such a great book.
Casper Reaves
Currently Reading: Lean In
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casper-reaves.html

Post by Casper Reaves »

I am looking forward to the practical exercises in this book. Can anyone suggest any good ones?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Seems like an inspiring and practical book for those looking for ways to overcome daily stresses. Too bad that one of the chapters was out of joint with the rest the book. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review! I love when authors bring their personal experiences in their writing. It brings the writing to life. This seems like a perfect blend of sharing about his medical condition and inspiring others on how to deal with stress. Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a very helpful book. It's especially helpful in our stress filled world right now. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

This sounds like a much needed book for people dealing with a lot of stress. Thank You for the honest and well written review.
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review. Thanks to the author for being brutally honest and letting us into his life with the hope his solution and honesty will help others. Congrats on being BOTD and thanks for making it free.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Kerwin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kerwin »

We all have stresses and finding ways to deal with them could benefit us all. It sounds like you found some helpful tips, I hope I do too!
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

This sounds like a great read. I suffer a lot from stress myself and struggle to find ways to deal with it. This will definitely be something I'll be reading. Great review!
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review! This sounds like a really interesting and helpful read. The amount of stress that we all have in our daily lives does at times seem to be very overwhelming. I'm looking forward to reading this book.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
skalicia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skalicia.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by skalicia »

I am currently under a significant amount of stress. I think need to read this book ASAP to get techniques to help me cope with it. Thanks for the great review.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

This one looks like it has a lot of potential to help a wide variety of people. Though this is not usually the type of book I like to read, I will at least give it a try.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Great looking cover and definitely one I'm looking forward to checking out! Getting rid of stress is great!
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Margzipan
Currently Reading: Heaven and Earth
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-margzipan.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by Margzipan »

This is typically not a type of book I would choose to read, so I really appreciated your concise review. It doesn't sound "out there" or too vague to actually be helpful; it sounds practical, honest, and straightforward.

Thank you for piquing my interest!
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”