Official Review: Runner by Skye Nichols

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Runner by Skye Nichols

Post by e-tasana-williams »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Runner" by Skye Nichols.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jason Harman is a competent, experienced New Jersey trial attorney. He knows the law forward and backward, but has poor judgement when choosing business associates. Due to his generous and trusting nature he becomes involved with the worst kind of people--people motivated only by greed regardless of who gets hurt and how. In the novel Runner, author Skye Nichols presents a credible case study of what can happen when people tasked with upholding the law become the criminals. Jason and his wife Elizabeth find themselves tangled in a complex web of deceit and malice. Whether they are able to escape it forms the body of this complex legal novel.

Set in Washington, New Jersey, New York and Washington, DC, Runner follows the circuitous path required of Jake as he works the biggest case of his career. Stretching over the course of 17 years, the majority of the plot involves Jason's connection to Daniel Bellotti and Joseph Blasi, two lawyers far less competent and far greedier than Jason is. This connection ends up affecting all aspects of Jason and Elizabeth's lives, even their relationships with family members and friends.

Readers who enjoy legal drama will like Runner. Ms. Nichols' intimate knowledge of the legal system is clear in her descriptions of the intricacies involved in preparing and trying cases before a jury. This book gives me an appreciation of the tangled nature of the relationships between lawyers and clients, and between members of legal counsel. Readers looking for a simpler, linear tale may choose another novel. Runner is a multi-branched story that takes its audience across the country and back, and forward and backward in time as the plot unfolds.

At times the book requires diligence to get through. Several passages appear to be repeated. Upon closer inspection, the passages are not identical, but just slightly different, stressing the specificity required in legal documentation. Even with this occasional difficulty, Runner is an enjoyable novel.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Runner is intriguing, the situations are realistic and there are less than a handful of grammatical errors. Runner would have received a higher rating from me had the writing style been more engaging. The parts describing litigation were afforded credibility due to the legal terminology and specificity included. The dialogue between characters and the descriptions of the non-legal events in the story, however, would have been more enjoyable had the language describing them been more like a novel and less like a legal document.

Runner
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like e-tasana-williams's review? Post a comment saying so!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

The fact that it is a legal drama makes it sound interesting. It can also be an educational read to anyone who doesn't know about laws and the legal system.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do like the sounds of this story. It is interesting the fine line that lawyers must sometimes walk. I can imagine it would be easy to get caught up in something. Due to all the legalese, though, I doubt I will pick this one up. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I don't think that this would hold my attention because the language is like a "legal document." It does sound like a cool idea for a book though. I just don't think that I'm interested in a legal novel right now. Thanks for the review.
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Excellent review! Loved your thoroughness. I don't think I will be reading this as I am not that much interested in such books.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

Yes, indeed, some people are motivated only by greed, regardless of who gets hurt and how. If this book helps prick the conscience of such people, that will be good. I hope in the end good Jason and Elizabeth triumphed over the crooked other two lawyers. But life is not always fair that way.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Moniquejm
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2759">What is and isn't Working for the Alcoholic and Addict</a>
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moniquejm.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Moniquejm »

Greediness is really existing in this world. I hope lawyers always look back on what is right in their job. Good review.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Not sure if this book is up my alley, but great review!
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

This book sounds interesting and i like the story line. I will put it in my bookshelf. Thank you for your honest and helpful review.
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

The story sounds good but given that its a legal drama, i'd say this isn't something i'd be up for. Great review though

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”