Official Review: Responsibilities Then Rights

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: Responsibilities Then Rights

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Responsibilities Then Rights" by Robin Howat.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Responsibilities Before Rights, author Robin Howat discusses the heavy topic of improving society through reason and constructive action. The emphasis of this book is upon changing Western society's indulgent perception that "rights" are automatically bequeathed to citizens without taking responsibilities or obligations into account. The author asserts that in order to have a society that benefits of all people, we must put aside our concern with what we are allowed to do, and focus instead upon what we should do (hence the title of this book).

At six-hundred two pages in length, the book presents thorough discussions of the responsibilities of all citizens within every tier of society. The roles of governments, businesses, educators, family units, and individuals are laid out in great detail, with no topic being spared. The author offers straightforward advice and detailed solutions for the many problems that plague society, both at the local and global levels. Obviously, this is not light reading by anyone's standards!

The author shares his opinions passionately while maintaining a calm and reasonable tone. I admired Mr. Howat's ability to maintain this balance, and found most of his points to be rational and realistic. Regarding the few topics on which we disagreed, I was still able to understand and respect his viewpoint. Furthermore, Mr. Howat never stoops to insulting the institutions that he feels could be improved upon, which I found very refreshing.

What I enjoyed most about this book was the useful information it contained about many current issues. The author presented facts pertaining to climate change and the recent influx of Middle Eastern refugees into Western nations that was completely new to me. Additionally, Mr. Howat offered extensive (and very sound) advice on how to improve the sad state of public education, a topic that is of great personal importance to me.

I only have two minor complaints about this book. First, I did find a number of minor typographical errors, and although they weren't much of a distraction, they did clash with the meticulous feel of the book. Also, the author began to repeat himself regarding several issues within the last hundred pages, which I believe added unnecessary bulk to an already lengthy tome.

But I found Responsibilities Before Rights to be a worthwhile and thought-provoking read, and I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to anyone with an interest sociology, psychology, or current events. However, I feel compelled to warn again that this book is not an easy read, and that it will require a good deal of time to finish. Those who are up to the task may also want to keep and pen and pad handy to write down any points of interest.

Responsibilities Then Rights
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I love the main point of the book and I agree with it. People are so concerned about what they can or cannot do but should instead be focused on what they should do. Yes, you should donate to a charity, if you have the funds. Yes, you should volunteer at a school or event, if you have the time. We should all be focused on strengthening our community and our country.

Great Review!?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I also agree with the main point of the book. It reminds me of the line from Ever After. "You were born to privilege and with that comes specific obligations." It sounds a little long for me, but a good premise nonetheless. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Amagine wrote:I love the main point of the book and I agree with it. People are so concerned about what they can or cannot do but should instead be focused on what they should do. Yes, you should donate to a charity, if you have the funds. Yes, you should volunteer at a school or event, if you have the time. We should all be focused on strengthening our community and our country.

Great Review!?
Thanks, Amagine! Your last sentence sums up the message of this book very well!

-- 18 Apr 2017, 12:56 --
kandscreeley wrote:I also agree with the main point of the book. It reminds me of the line from Ever After. "You were born to privilege and with that comes specific obligations." It sounds a little long for me, but a good premise nonetheless. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for reading it! I remember that quote, and it suits this book nicely.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

It's refreshing to have such a book to educate people on their responsibilities and rights. Often, people focus on their rights and ignore their responsibilities. But as President John F. Kennedy said, we should ask what we can do for our country, and not what our country can do for us. I admire the hard work on the part of the author to complete such a voluminous book. And thanks for the diligence of the review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Chrys Brobbey wrote:It's refreshing to have such a book to educate people on their responsibilities and rights. Often, people focus on their rights and ignore their responsibilities. But as President John F. Kennedy said, we should ask what we can do for our country, and not what our country can do for us. I admire the hard work on the part of the author to complete such a voluminous book. And thanks for the diligence of the review.
Thank you for reading my review. Yes, the author's message was a very refreshing take on the subject matter. In a world that encourages self-centeredness, it's good to know that there are people who still have their priorities in order!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”