Do you question the existence of God?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Re: Do you question the existence of God?

Post by Amagine »

Brox wrote:I believe God exists, but I question a form of his existence. Many people talk about God but in fact, no one knows anything for sure. Does he look like a man or does he have some other shape and form? Is he actually a strong vibration of energy and does he have a body like we do?
I always wondered about that too. In the bible it says that God made man in the shape of himself. I do believe that is one of his forms but I believe he can take on any shape or form.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
srouie
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by srouie »

In my 21 years of existence, there were few times that I questioned the existence of GOD: whether he is true or not. I always asked him why he have continually allowed bad person to become rich, then good person to suffer in worst condition like poverty and hunger; why he did not gave us one "specific" belief or religion, for us to become more civilize and united in one goal; why he allowed innocent people to become victims of brutal crimes and sickness like rape and cancer, and many questions like those. Also, I would like to ask him personally, since he is all-knowing GOD, why there are bad person given and vested so much talents and skills, and deprived those good and industrious layman to possess similar characteristics, for them to at least escape from their worst condition. I am not an "Atheist," in fact I am A CHRIST believer man, but those questions were really mystical for me. I hope that someday, GOD will enlighten me for my questions. For anyone who can give advice and answers to me, biblical
or not, I am willing to entertain your answers. Thank you..
TCC Edwards
Currently Reading: The Punch Escrow
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcc-edwards.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by TCC Edwards »

Which god? The God of the Torah? Allah as he's described in the Quaran? Zeus? Ra? The Great Green Arkleseizure?

For the question to be meaningful, we have to know *which* god you mean. Then, we have to know how we would even confirm or dispute the discovery of such a being. Is there an empirical test to let us know we've found god? Can we even devise a falsifiable statement to use in such an experiment?

Take the statement "Gravity propagates in a measurable wave through spacetime." Until recent times, scientists couldn't give a definite yes or no to this statement. Along came a brilliant experiment and the chance to see it in action, and we now know the answer.

Now what statement do you propose for the existence or nonexistence of God? What experiment can we perform, and what data can we gather? How do we go about interpreting such data?

This is why I'm agnostic. I don't know if God exists, sure, but my agnosticism goes a step further - I don't think you could get any group of people to agree on what "God" is long enough to devise a meaningful test, let alone answer such a question. But I also think the universe is just fine without a God - there's so much out there to found, and any one of us could make the next incredible discovery. That's spirituality for me - humans can discover bits and pieces of the universe, and ourselves in the process.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
srouie
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by srouie »

To: TCC Edwards,
Hi, Good day. I would like to reply with your previous comments..If you are pretty much sure that there is no GOD, you also had many questions to be ask for? right? who do you think is the one who create sky, mountains, and other living things? Can we create these things?? Of course, the answer is probably not. We cannot justify these things even we use science or any other human parameters. I have many question regarding the existence of GOD; what is his real name; and why he did not perfectly create the universe, but at the end of the day, I really believed that there is one superior and almighty GOD who create everything including human. This is the question that you cannot anymore explain, even you asked million of people around the world.Science cannot correctly argued to the world that those things which cannot explain and be explained by science are now under "natural science". that is very ironic.
Hahaha lol
Snappingturtle73
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Snappingturtle73 »

This book may question the writer if god does exist. The book grabs you from the beginning. Unlike some of the other books I have read. From the first chapter which I do like the setting make you wonder the exact question. Personally god is real. He allows the pain so u can see beauty. Everyone has heard this a terrible storm is happening not thing is still so you think. But in a tree thier is a mother bird with her wings holding tightly her baby bird This is gods love. We need to look all around us and look beyond what we normally would see. As the writer has done.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

TCC Edwards wrote:Which god? The God of the Torah? Allah as he's described in the Quaran? Zeus? Ra? The Great Green Arkleseizure?

For the question to be meaningful, we have to know *which* god you mean. Then, we have to know how we would even confirm or dispute the discovery of such a being. Is there an empirical test to let us know we've found god? Can we even devise a falsifiable statement to use in such an experiment?

Take the statement "Gravity propagates in a measurable wave through spacetime." Until recent times, scientists couldn't give a definite yes or no to this statement. Along came a brilliant experiment and the chance to see it in action, and we now know the answer.

Now what statement do you propose for the existence or nonexistence of God? What experiment can we perform, and what data can we gather? How do we go about interpreting such data?

This is why I'm agnostic. I don't know if God exists, sure, but my agnosticism goes a step further - I don't think you could get any group of people to agree on what "God" is long enough to devise a meaningful test, let alone answer such a question. But I also think the universe is just fine without a God - there's so much out there to found, and any one of us could make the next incredible discovery. That's spirituality for me - humans can discover bits and pieces of the universe, and ourselves in the process.
That's quite a view. You sound like you are definitely sure about what you believe and think.

I disagree though that you can't get a group of people to agree on "God." There are groups of people that have believed in God for quite a while. It's just that those separate groups all disagree about who God is.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

I used to question and seriously doubt God's existence and then I was lucky enough to have a lot of my questions about Him answered and now most of the time I don't need to question anything because I have a relationship with Him that demonstrates his presence to me daily.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

No. I've always instinctively felt that there is something outside the physical realm in which we currently reside, and I've had some personal experiences to back that feeling up.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

bluegreenmarina wrote:I used to question and seriously doubt God's existence and then I was lucky enough to have a lot of my questions about Him answered and now most of the time I don't need to question anything because I have a relationship with Him that demonstrates his presence to me daily.
Yes, when you have a relationship with God, you no longer have the desire to question him. It's the same for me. :)
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
sourav15
Currently Reading: Percy Jackson: Heroes of Olympus
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sourav15.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by sourav15 »

I was brought up in a culture which doesn't question enough about religious issues. But from the time of my later high school days, I started questioning validity and relevance of certain practices and rituals that goes along with accepting God's existence in my parents' religion (Hinduism). I got really interested in the topic and started reading books and watching debates on similar issues. Richard Dawkins became one of those who made sense to me and now I'm happily an atheist for like 3-4 years. But I still occasionally listens to other people's point of view and try to reason with them or reason with myself.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

I have many a time. I was not brought up with the church and do question rather than take at face value. I think I would class myself as agnostic. I believe something is there but not entirely sure of what that is.
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Absolutely Not! I have had experiences in my life that proves God exist. I did not grow up in church but knew of God. Now as an adult, I have learned much more about the Holy Trinity and try to teach my children. I do not go to church near as much as I should but I try to talk to God often. I have had horrible things happen in my life. These events did not make me question God. They made me draw closer to Him and seek his guidance and help.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
TieWall
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by TieWall »

Not at All! Personally I feel Jehovah God exists and genuinely cares for humans. Prayer through His Son Jesus Christ and Faith in His direction have saved me countless times in life. "Draw close to God and He will draw close to you". -James 4:8

-- 20 Apr 2017, 01:36 --

The Bible also uses figurative language which can be hard to understand if not meditated on. It does say he made man in His image. As explained to me by ones much wiser than I am. That refers to the qualities He gave us, like love for instance, the most important of all.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Like others, I question more than I don't. I do not have a strong belief that God irxists, despite a Catholic upbringing. If I had to state what my faith is, I would say it is something to what is described in The Color Purple, mixed with Native American beliefs. But I don't necessarily believe in "white man's God," as Walker puts it in The Color Purple.
Data Adjasi
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-data-adjasi.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by Data Adjasi »

I am tempted to borrow this quote from Augustine “I believe so that I can understand, but I understand so that I can believe”. Knowing and Worshiping God is a ‘faith business’. Mankind’s attempt to know God has to be presented in humility. I ignorantly used to challenge the existence of God until I discovered the cosmological, teleological and anthropological evidence of the existence of God (which is all around us); not to talk about my personal faith-filled awesome experiences. Need I say more?

"Science is always trying to explain what 'was' and what 'is' " i.e. God
So now the sequel to The Big bang theory is Plasma theory.... . The evolution is on. Scientific discovery is good. It reveals our power of dominion from God to subdue the earth.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”