Official Review: The Angry Man and the Weaver

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Official Review: The Angry Man and the Weaver

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Angry Man and the Weaver" by Alexander Mescavage and Eunice Taylor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Angry Man and the Weaver: Re-imagining the Odyssey is a historical fiction by Alexander Mescavage and Eunice Taylor. It was told in alternating narrations of Odysseus and Penelope. This novel spun an exciting and engaging tale of their destiny, love, and adventure.

Odysseus had a rough life as a child. Unable to feel anything, his parents worried about him. It seemed that he was always angry, and this earned him the name, “The Angry Man”. Fortunately, the Gods heard the constant prayers of his mother, the Queen. With the help the Wise Goddess, he was able to change little by little. From an emotionless child, he grew up to be a fine warrior with a very sharp and cunning mind. His intelligence and wit earned him aliases such as “Fox” and “Talks Like Snowflakes”. One day, he was summoned to The Land of the Palace. Those summoned would compete for the hand of Helen “Sunshine” of Sparta, the most beautiful woman in the world. He knew a lowly king of a little island would be unfit to marry a spoiled princess. However, he still graced the invitation as a sign of respect. Little did he know that on the same festivity, he will meet her destined partner in life, a woman named “Weaver”.

I commend Mescavage and Taylor’s ingenuity for creating such a compelling novel. The modern portrayal of the characters made it enjoyable to read. Moreover, the characters were more multi-dimensional and relatable. The characters’ way of talking did not modernize. Even so, readers could grasp the reason behind the characters’ actions. The novel was also rich in character development. For example, Angry Man’s shrewdness was developed well with the guidance of the Wise Goddess. Angry Man showed plenty of improvement. From a child who enjoyed killing and torture, he became a respectable king.

In the book, Mescavage and Taylor changed the characters’ Greek names to their Bronze Age equivalent. Some characters also had many names. For instance, Helen’s name became “Sunshine”. When she married, her name changed to “Virtuous”. The authors gave a word of caution about this change in the introductory part of the book. It was confusing at first, but as the story went on, I got used to it. I also noted some missing quotation marks but it did not hinder my pace in reading.

Overall, I give The Angry Man and the Weaver: Re-imagining the Odyssey 4 out of 4 stars. This book is a good match for readers who are interested in Greek Mythology. Readers who want to enjoy the heart-warming tale of Penelope and Odysseus’ love story would enjoy this book as well.

The Angry Man and the Weaver
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ellieonline03's review? Post a comment saying so!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Congratulations for the excellent review. This historical-fiction is indeed an enticing read. Stories of kingdoms and bravery engaging.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This does sound quite entertaining. I love reading new takes on old classics when they are done right. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I enjoy books that re-do old classics as well. I also have a small interest in greek mythology so this book might be an interesting read.

Great Review! ☺
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the detailed review.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

I like the part where Odysseus develops from a retard to a great person. This gives hope that in real life children with disabilities can improve, with good care and intervention. Thanks for a good review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I read The Odyssey in high school and really liked it. This sounds like a fun version of the story. That's good that it was "rich in character development." Thanks for the detailed review.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Amagine wrote:I enjoy books that re-do old classics as well. I also have a small interest in greek mythology so this book might be an interesting read.

Great Review! ☺
Thank you, Amagine! The re-telling was awesome. I'm sure you will enjoy this book as I did.

-- April 16th, 2017, 11:35 pm --
Chrys Brobbey wrote:I like the part where Odysseus develops from a retard to a great person. This gives hope that in real life children with disabilities can improve, with good care and intervention. Thanks for a good review.
Thank you, Chrys Brobbey! It was interesting to read this part. Odysseus seemed so helpless as a child without emotions but The Wise Goddess was a patient mentor.
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

I am not a mythology lover but your review has completely drawn me in. I enjoyed every bit of your review.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
michelonline29
Favorite Book: The Eurasians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelonline29.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by michelonline29 »

Congratulations on a well-written review! This book seems very interesting to read. It will bring us to the other world perhaps :)
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Ellie Gatillo
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Shreyoshi Sen wrote:I am not a mythology lover but your review has completely drawn me in. I enjoyed every bit of your review.
Thank you, Shreyoshi Sen! Mythology has its own appeal to the readers. Greek mythology is a favorite of mine. That is probably why I am able to review this book objectively. I hope you read and enjoy this novel.

-- April 17th, 2017, 11:35 pm --
michelonline29 wrote:Congratulations on a well-written review! This book seems very interesting to read. It will bring us to the other world perhaps :)
Thank you! As far as I know, Greek mythology is considered as a part of our history. It was said this happened during the Bronze age. With this book, we get to see how life was on those times. I hope you enjoy reading this book as much as I did.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Great review! This sounds like a really unique twist on a classic tale!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Ellie Gatillo
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

LivreAmour217 wrote:Great review! This sounds like a really unique twist on a classic tale!
Thank you, LivreAmour217! If you enjoy Greek mythology, then you might find this book to your liking as well.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Great review, I do love a good retelling and I really like the Odyssey too.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Ellie Gatillo
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Thanks, Gingerbo0ks! If you liked the Odyssey, then you'll surely love this book as well.

Return to “Historical Fiction”