Official Review: Ethan Templeton and the All-Seeing EYE

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Ethan Templeton and the All-Seeing EYE

Post by e-tasana-williams »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ethan Templeton and the All-Seeing EYE" by JulieJoe B..]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ethan Templeton and the All-Seeing EYE: Book of the Present (Trilogy 1) by JulieJoe B. is the unexpected story about a little boy tasked with saving the world. He is a happy, respectful, obedient seven-year-old--the kind of boy any parent would be happy to have as a son. He and his parents Scott and Willa are on their annual visit with Uncle Phil and Auntie Myra in the countryside. Very early on the story takes an unexpected turn. Without including spoilers, Ethan ends up playing a critical role in a war between good and evil. He is tasked with finding good people left in the world and helping them in times of crisis, due to his innocent heart. Ethan's rare combination of remarkable innocence matched with extreme intelligence makes him the perfect candidate to fight evil in the universe.

Fantasy fiction readers may enjoy Ethan Templeton and the All-Seeing EYE: Book of the Present (Trilogy 1). It presents a world in tug-of-war with good and evil, and I found myself rooting for the smart, determined Ethan throughout the story. Ms. B paints him as an innocent yet dogged advocate for the good in the world.

Readers from a Christian background may not like that the book is a construct that mixes some Biblical information with fiction. It is easy to interpret the eye in the floor of the abandoned house as a kind of god that has many powers.

Ethan Templeton and the All-Seeing EYE: Book of the Present (Trilogy 1) has an interesting premise, but the grammatical errors and other editorial oversights are distracting. It is hard to get into the story at first due to the sequential writing style (first this happens, then that happens, then they went here...) In addition, in the Kindle version, all the "Th" words at the beginning of a sentence had the "Th" removed. This requires re-reading of many of the sentences for clarity. There is a lack of tense consistency (Ms. B. switches back and forth from past to present tense, from one sentence to the next) and many run-on sentences.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. The concept is intriguing, but the need for further editing prohibits a higher rating for this novel. What could have been an enjoyable story became an exercise in deciphering a series of events. At times I found the need to suspend disbelief at the dialog chosen for some of the characters. The antagonist Mr. Steins, for example, was at times reduced to a stereotypical villain such as one night see in a comic book. He had lines like, "You cannot change the heart of man; they do not want it! So you see I win!" Although Ethan is written as an intelligent observant boy, he says and does things that a seven-year-old would be unlikely to say and do, regardless of his intelligence.

As this is the first installment of a trilogy, professional editing would increase the success of the remaining two books. Even fantasy fiction requires a level of reality sufficient to draw readers in and keep them there. More believable dialogue and situations, and further editing would yield a higher rating from me.

Ethan Templeton and the All-Seeing EYE
View: on Bookshelves

Like e-tasana-williams's review? Post a comment saying so!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

The concept does sound interesting but I agree that it should be a little more realistic with its characters. You said that the story had Ethan doing things normal kids wouldn't do. I don't like that because you want children to build a connection with the characters. It's kind of hard to do that if the character is vastly different from them.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I dislike when characters aren't written realistically. It's too bad because the seems like an interesting concept.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

It looks odd to cast a child as the character to save the world. So it is remarkable that that the author succeeded to make Ethan's innocence and extreme intelligence his assets for fighting evil in the universe. Too bad, however, the glitches noted in the review marred the story. Hopefully the writer will make up for it in the next 2 parts. Kudos.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”