Official Review: Stolen Family by Association by J B Peters

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Stolen Family by Association by J B Peters

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stolen Family by Association" by J B Peters.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stolen Family by Association by author J B Peters chronicles the life of Samantha Tyler. Samantha survived a difficult childhood, suffering continuous abuse at the hands of her own father. Now eighteen and living a seemingly normal life, Samantha discovers she is pregnant. Initially, she is overjoyed at the thought of having a family. However, Philip, her boyfriend, does not share her excitement. In a surprising turn of events, Samantha receives a large sum of money as compensation for her father’s past actions. The young couple’s relationship becomes more complicated when Philip learns about her new assets. Will Samantha free herself from the cycle of abuse? Or will she continue to find herself close to those who only wish to do her harm?

Overall, this book proved difficult to review because the majority of the manuscript is simply sloppy. The narrative is riddled with incorrect punctuation, inconsistent formatting and poor wording. Further, run-on sentences and misplaced commas significantly hindered the readability of the book. For example, the following sentence exemplifies the type of comma misplacement that is found throughout the text: “Samantha mentally kicked herself how, could she have been so stupid this must be her fault.” Further, it is blatantly clear that two chapters are in the wrong order.

The plot has more merit than the writing, but it is also problematic. There were some interesting twists to the story, but not all plot points are fully thought out and thus some of the ‘twists’ seem rather pointless. For example, Samantha and Philip take a trip to St. Lucia. This vacation is described in great detail; from the plane ride, to shopping and ordering room service, nothing is left out. Then, Samantha wakes up and believes it was all a dream. It is unclear if this portion of the book was, in fact, a meaningless dream, or actually some evil plan concocted by Philip. Even at the end we are none the wiser about the meaning of the mysterious vacation. Though there is a sequel, the lack of a resolution made it feel like the pages and pages devoted to this incident were utterly meaningless and did nothing to advance the plot.

Throughout the story, Samantha is put through every type of abuse you can imagine. Despite the many painful situations Samantha is subjected to, it was extremely difficult to sympathize with the character. Samantha lacks any real depth; she barely has a personality, and her backstory is almost nonexistent. The author defines Samantha as a clichéd victim and little else. Similarly, the secondary characters proved equally irksome. For the most part, everyone in Samantha’s life is simply bad. Even more frustrating, the motives behind their awful treatment of Samantha are unclear. Some banal explanations are made throughout the book as to why the characters dislike her, but they fail to explain the absolute hatred each character harbors towards Samantha.

Stolen Family by Association attempts to tell the sorrowful story of one woman who has experienced great trauma throughout her childhood and into her adult life. Sadly, the final product is rather unsuccessful. There is potential for an endearing psychological saga in this story, but thorough editing and better scrutiny of the plot is necessary for this book to stand the chance of success. The editorial issues alone lead me to rate this book 1 out of 4 stars.

Stolen Family by Association
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I'm sorry to hear this book was such a let down. The sentence you gave as an example was definitely hard to read. I can't imagine if the whole book was that way. Hopefully they can get some issues fixed and then maybe give this another try.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>

Post by MarisaRose »

kandscreeley wrote:Wow! I'm sorry to hear this book was such a let down. The sentence you gave as an example was definitely hard to read. I can't imagine if the whole book was that way. Hopefully they can get some issues fixed and then maybe give this another try.
It really was a difficult one to get through. I hope the author does revise and edit the book as there is a lot of potential for a thought provoking story about abuse and the effects abuse has on one over time. Thanks for taking a read :)
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This sounds like a book that would be difficult for me as well. I strongly dislike reading about characters with no real personality. I hope the novel at least ended with some development of her character where she becomes stronger. If not, then that would be even more disappointing.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

Amagine wrote:This sounds like a book that would be difficult for me as well. I strongly dislike reading about characters with no real personality. I hope the novel at least ended with some development of her character where she becomes stronger. If not, then that would be even more disappointing.

Great Review! ?
Thank you :) Characters can really make or break a book!
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

Wow, kudos for sticking it out and finishing the book. Even without all the editing problems, this doesn't sound like a book I would enjoy. Reading about a character who is abused over and over with no true friends in her life isn't my cup of tea. Thanks for the honest review.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I don't understand why we are given books to review that haven't even been edited, professionally or otherwise? Punctuation I could look past but I would struggle to read something where it hasn't even been checked to see if the chapters were in the right order. What a shame. Well done for persevering and writing a good review.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

I'll not like to endure reading through such a book to do a review. It looks like the author has a lot of work to re-do this initial book before thinking of a sequel.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Nicky Dexter
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Power of Your Subconscious Mind and Other Works
Bookshelf Size: 79
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Nicky Dexter »

Wow, that is a hard read. I would not make it past the first chapter. Let's hope they can revise this one.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”