Review by Chrys Brobbey -- Raquel Says (Something Entire...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Review by Chrys Brobbey -- Raquel Says (Something Entire...

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One day while going about his business as a writer the unexpected happens. The author returns from a short break only to discover that an invisible hand has left him a message. It is not an incoming email, as you may think, but one typed onto the document he is working on. And to add to the mystery the message reads: “Today, and only today, you may create a person.” Create a person? How surreal! The attached condition is that the person to be created must have been born in the same year as the author, and in the same city. Could it get any more bizarre than that? So instead of writing a novel with fictional characters the author creates a person. Yes, an actual person. She is the one his female character is always based on – a woman whom he had felt close to for a long time. She lives a parallel life to him, and she is called Raquel. If you are intrigued enough you can get to know more about Raquel in the flesh, as she engages in lively flirtation with the author throughout the pages of the book “Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)”.

The book is the brainwork of Mois Benarroch. It is the version translated from Spanish into English by Sally Seward in 2015. The author in 2009 was awarded the Prime Minister’s Prize in Israel, and in 2012 he won the Yehuda Amichai Prize for Poetry. Born in (Spanish) Morocco in 1959, he has since been living in Israel where his parents relocated when he was thirteen years old.

In the book Mois Benarroch takes the reader with him on a ride as he tries to re-discover and identify with his Moroccan roots. He talks about his loneliness, his feeling of being in exile in Israel and his conflicted personality. He sees his family’s move to Israel as “leaving my house alone, without my footsteps, and without my shadow.” I empathize with him about his feeling of alienation in his adopted land. The recreation of himself as a female serves as a means of escapism for him. In the guise of Raquel he lives a parallel life in Madrid and writes in his mother tongue Spanish, as if he never left his roots. His make-believe living in two worlds, two cultures thus mitigates his ambivalence.

I recommend the book as good material to gain some knowledge about the politics and society in Israel as a whole. The European (Ashkenazi) Jews have since the founding of Israel in 1948 constituted the elite class. Mois Benarroch’s parents migrated from Morocco to Israel because they are Sephardic Jews. The author alleges discrimination against his class of Jews. To quote him: “They see us as a challenge, a threat to Israeli society for not being Western enough.” This brings to mind the demonstration by the resettled Ethiopian Jews in Tel Aviv in 2015 against the perceived racism against them.

While I sympathize with the author, I get the impression that he carries his fight against the system too far. By writing “I talked non-stop to everyone about it” his insistence may be nauseating to the point of chilling the response of the powers that be. He seems to play his activist role of ‘voice for the voiceless’ overtime. No wonder that he says he is assaulted with letters and phone calls about being crazy. He becomes the problem then, instead of the solution to the wrongs that he alludes to. However, his cry is heartfelt when he laments that “They ask me to get rid of my past to be one of them. Not that I don’t want to, but that I can’t.” I will leave it up to readers to get a first-hand feel of his dilemma as they browse the pages of the book.

The style of writing is in the first person. In tone the author uses a monologue addressed to his other self. This makes the reading somewhat monotonous due to the multiple use of ‘I’ and ‘my’ and the lack of varied sentence structures. However, this is compensated for by the passion and the flow of the narrative. I find it not a book to read for pleasure or relaxation, but one that fuels thinking about cultural differences, prejudices, racism and assimilation. Sections of the book are in poetic form, and have to be read over and over slowly to absorb the meaning.

I picked the book expecting to review a novel, as identified on the cover. But I find it to be other than a novel. Perhaps the tag of a ‘Metaphysical Memoir’ may be more apt. The author admits, however, that: “Anything called a novel sells better, than those called something else.” That makes me laugh at his marketing gimmick.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Immigrants trapped in other cultures will identify with the book. It is also a good source of educative information to all about Israel. I liked living in its mystical fantasy that operates in the present, past and future simultaneously. Its combination of prose and poetry makes it unique. It is rich in imagery, as when the author writes that he and Raquel live in books just as words live among pages. I leave the rest up to your imagination, until you uncover the one-in-a-pair in the pages of “Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)”. Like a twist on Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Chrys Brobbey's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I also read this book quite recently. I found it very confusing and it had too many grammatical errors for me to give it a 4 out of 4 stars. Did you know that this book is a part of Mois Benarroch's Love and Exile series? There are seven ''novels'' in the series and this one seems to be the third one. I recently reviewed the one that comes before this one - The Stealer of Memories which was translated from Spanish to English by William C (very poor translation). The content of the books make them worth a read.
If you want to find out more about Raquel you should read The Stealer of Memories.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Your review is very well written. I enjoy that the author used the book to educate readers on his culture and the politics of Israel. With the world the way it is right now, people need much more understanding.

Great Review! :character-hobbes:
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

Hi Jaime, the book is not your normal kind of novel, and you have to read deeply to appreciate it. In a sense it is part poetry, and so it can take liberties with grammar. Note that somewhere in the book the author states that a poet is the only one who can drive without a driver's license; he was referring to the unusual nature of his book, and the liberties that allowed with structure and all else. The book is highly metaphysical, like the works of the poets Donne and Keats. I write both prose and poetry, so it was easy for me to maneuver through the mingling of both in one book. Thanks for your viewpoint.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I read and reviewed this book. It can cause confusion to the reader especially if it is the first book being read by this author. Nice and honest review.
Ashley Nestler
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-nestler.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ashley Nestler »

I love how this book explores culture and how it affects people who are impacted by multiple cultures at once. Thank you for the awesome review!
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."

—Charles Bukowski
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

Sound like an interesting book. However, I don't think that this is a book for me. I'm generally not into political or social issue novels.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I read and reviewed this one but had to give it two stars. I get it's not for everyone, just because it didn't wow me doesn't mean someone else wouldn't enjoy it.uu
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

I read one of the author's books (The Expelled) and I liked it. From your review, I can say that he did the same "gimmick" in the previous book I read as well. It was confusing, but it becomes more interesting as you go along the story. This book seems a good one, too. Thank you for your review!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a very interesting story. I'd love to be able to create my own person sometimes. I'm not sure this book is for me, though. It sounds too metaphysical for me. Thanks for your review. Very nice.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sophie11
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophie11.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Sophie11 »

I can't imagine having to review a book as intense as this one seems, great job. This review definitely gives you a perspective on what you'll be reading.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A message from invisible hand? Sounds intriguing. A good point about the author playing his activist role of ‘voice for the voiceless’ over time. I think one should take his allegations with a grain of salt, as it seems the author has his own prejudices. Not really my cup of tea, but I am glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Jackie Donnelly
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackie-donnelly.html
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch

Post by Jackie Donnelly »

I like the idea of creating a person but overall this book sounds too serious for me. Nicely written review.
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

This seems like an interesting read. I have never heard of a plot like this one so I may add this book to my reading list. Great job on the review!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
smart24
Currently Reading: ROXY
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by smart24 »

Its a good book, I recommend for those interested in politics. :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”