Do you believe in exorcism or possessed?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Re: Do you believe in exorcism or possessed?

Post by Spirit Wandering »

About 20 years ago I attended a weekend workshop on energy healing techniques because I had read a fascinating book written by the workshop's leader. Little did I understand before that event that the woman had "channeled" the information from a spiritual entity. I left after the first day because I felt disturbing energy in the room. So I believe that there are disembodied entities that try to act through living beings but only if we give them control, as this woman had done.

I also believe that such spiritual entities are not inherently "good" or "evil." Rather, I would characterize them as "opportunistic" in looking for a vulnerable person through which to operate and influence events on this physical plane to which they would not otherwise have access. It is our responsibility to be in touch with our own spirit and therefore not to be open to their endeavors.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Spirit Wandering- Now that you bring it up, I have walked into certain places and felt some type of "spirit" or "energy." I don't think I've ever seen anyone that has actually been possessed, but I have felt evil spirits.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I believe in spirits, ghosts, and energy. I don't know if I believe exactly in demons, but I do believe that I have gone to places or met people who have a bad energy. I believe that hauntings are possible. Could those beings who haunt places take over a body? Maybe.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I believe in the existence of good and evil "spirits," but I don't know about posession. An evil spirit would have to somehow displace the soul that already resides in a human body, and I can't imagine that being simple.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Spirit Wandering

kandscreeley wrote:Spirit Wandering- Now that you bring it up, I have walked into certain places and felt some type of "spirit" or "energy." I don't think I've ever seen anyone that has actually been possessed, but I have felt evil spirits.
I too have felt spirits in various places-often at historical sites such as Williamsburg
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I believe in Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit and God the Father. Hence, I believe the bible stories that speak of evil spirits and demonic possessions and exorcisms. I don't really see how you can believe in a Christian God and doubt the scriptures.
Aldonsa
Currently Reading: God Is Not A Noun: Evolutionaries Illuminati Cosmic Bible Ginan
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aldonsa.html
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler

Post by Aldonsa »

Demons live inside of any men (except enlightened people). Each person has own demons. :evil: Can it be named “possession”? I think it depends on personal character and self responsibility. The word “possession” means shedding all responsibility. :wink:
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html

Post by Chitopogi »

I believe in evil spirits and possession. In a lot of cases prayers and exorcism can work. And this is done in the spirit plane. But the problem with exorcism is that the spirit leaves its host but transfers to the next available host nearby. And this makes exorcism more terrifying.
Spirit Wandering

Aldonsa wrote:Demons live inside of any men (except enlightened people). Each person has own demons. :evil: Can it be named “possession”? I think it depends on personal character and self responsibility. The word “possession” means shedding all responsibility. :wink:
Definition of "possession" is interesting-thanks
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Chitopogi wrote:I believe in evil spirits and possession. In a lot of cases prayers and exorcism can work. And this is done in the spirit plane. But the problem with exorcism is that the spirit leaves its host but transfers to the next available host nearby. And this makes exorcism more terrifying.
Yeah, a worrisome idea.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Rattusv
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rattusv »

Yes. Both are documented throughout history in both religious and secular sources.
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

Yes, I believe in possession and exorcisms. Do I think possession involves beings from another dimension? I don't know. That's probably only one option. My teacher once told me that she met people considered insane, only to be able to detect another entity inside them. I can neither confirm or deny, as I've never had such an experience. I hope I never do.
She reads books
as one would breathe air,
to fill up and live.

--Annie Dillard
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Miche Sora wrote:Yes, I believe in possession and exorcisms. Do I think possession involves beings from another dimension? I don't know. That's probably only one option. My teacher once told me that she met people considered insane, only to be able to detect another entity inside them. I can neither confirm or deny, as I've never had such an experience. I hope I never do.
I also would never want to meet someone who has an evil entity in them. I don't think it would be a good experience.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by papaya12 »

In the Bible it talks about people that were possessed by evil spirits. I am a Christian and so I take everything the Bible says as true. So, to answer your second question I do believe that people can be possessed by evil spirits. I know a person who I completely trust who says that he met a person who was possessed and I take his word for it too. To answer your first question, I do believe that Satan can work through people and if he wanted too, could practice exorcism.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

I guess I do believe that demons can exist and possibly even influence people, but definitely not in the same theatrical stereotypical way a "possession" tends to be depicted in books and movies. I would think the influence would be much more subtle an insidious.

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”