Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Re: Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Post by Scott »

Swara Sangeet wrote:1. .mobi
2. Android phone
3. Yes
4. It's true that I have faced the same problem before when I tried to open the file directly from the place it was downloaded. But then I read the tips in this post and tried moving the file to the kindle folder in my phone itself. It still didn't work. Then I downloaded it again and moved it by using my SD card in my computer. I could finally access it in the Amazon Kindle app then.
5. When I open it directly from its place of download, I get an error message "Can't open file'. Even after doing the same procedure I had done previously (refer 4), the file is not shown in the Amazon Kindle app even after synchronization.
6. Yes, I got the error message " Can't open file" when I tried to access it directly from the downloads.
7. Yes, I have tried and re-tried all the Top Tips to no avail.

Kindly help me.
@"Swara Sangeet" Don't try to 'access the file directly' because your phone is not configured to utilize the Kindle app to open it.

You do not want to merely move into the Kindle folder on your device. You want to move it into the 'books' subdirectory within the Kindle folder.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Scott wrote:
2. Android phone
3. Yes
4. It's true that I have faced the same problem before when I tried to open the file directly from the place it was downloaded. But then I read the tips in this post and tried moving the file to the kindle folder in my phone itself. It still didn't work. Then I downloaded it again and moved it by using my SD card in my computer. I could finally access it in the Amazon Kindle app then.
5. When I open it directly from its place of download, I get an error message "Can't open file'. Even after doing the same procedure I had done previously (refer 4), the file is not shown in the Amazon Kindle app even after synchronization.
6. Yes, I got the error message " Can't open file" when I tried to access it directly from the downloads.

Kindly help me.
@"Swara Sangeet" Don't try to 'access the file directly' because your phone is not configured to utilize the Kindle app to open it.

You do not want to merely move into the Kindle folder on your device. You want to move it into the 'books' subdirectory within the Kindle folder.
I'm sorry, but there is no 'books' subdirectory. There was only the Kindle Folder. I tried accessing it directly because .mobi files open in GooglePlayBooks as well.
Pranisha
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranisha.html

Post by Pranisha »

1) epub. 2) android mobile 3) yes i have opened a file before 4) i had downloaded the epub reader and openinh the filea on the device was straight forward. I did not have the option to move to books folder or to epub folder. 5) because of the device i am using the top tips does not apply to me as they are unavailable to do. 6) the error message i am receiving statesbthat the epub reader is not responding and needs to be force closed at all times when accessed. Please note the software on this device is out dated and therefore the application suggested is not useful as it does not install on this device.
Arjun_25
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Arjun_25 »

1. Mobi
2. Kindle for Android
3. No, this is my first time
4. I tried to click the file directly in the file manager.
5. As I clicked the file the system said "can't open file" and also I tried to put the file into the Kindle's folder but I couldn't find the book section .maybe its my first time so maybe my books folder is not created.
6. Can't open file
7. Yes but it's not opening in my Kindle app
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Swara Sangeet wrote:
Scott wrote:
2. Android phone
3. Yes

Kindly help me.

I'm sorry, but there is no 'books' subdirectory. There was only the Kindle Folder. I tried accessing it directly because .mobi files open in GooglePlayBooks as well.
@"Swara Sangeet" Can you provide me a screenshot of the directory listing in the Kindle App's folder?

---
Pranisha wrote:1) epub. 2) android mobile 3) yes i have opened a file before 4) i had downloaded the epub reader and openinh the filea on the device was straight forward. I did not have the option to move to books folder or to epub folder. 5) because of the device i am using the top tips does not apply to me as they are unavailable to do. 6) the error message i am receiving statesbthat the epub reader is not responding and needs to be force closed at all times when accessed. Please note the software on this device is out dated and therefore the application suggested is not useful as it does not install on this device.
@Pranisha Your answers are too unclear to provide support. For #4, it's not clear how you usually open the file. Please provide a more detailed explanation. For #5, it is extremely unclear. If you are an Android, the top tips should apply. The Kindle App and the Nook app are both available from the Play Store. Please provide much more detail in your answers. In #6 you mention "the epub reader", but it is not clear what epub reader you are speaking about. Also, when quoting error messages, please make sure to use quotation marks and provide an exact verbatim quote of the full error message you see.

Is is possible to update the software on your device or use a different device.

---

Arjun_25 wrote:1. Mobi
2. Kindle for Android
5. As I clicked the file the system said "can't open file" and also I tried to put the file into the Kindle's folder but I couldn't find the book section .maybe its my first time so maybe my books folder is not created.
6. Can't open file
@Arjun_25 You did not follow the Top Tips. It's not instructed that you simply click on the file in the file manager. Nonetheless, in this particular case, you can get even more specific help in the following topic: Problem: Kindle App won't open .mobi file (Solved) Please go there and post your replies there.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Scott wrote:
Swara Sangeet wrote:
Scott wrote: @"Swara Sangeet" Don't try to 'access the file directly' because your phone is not configured to utilize the Kindle app to open it.

@"Swara Sangeet" Can you provide me a screenshot of the directory listing in the Kindle App's folder?

---
Pranisha wrote:1) epub. 2) android mobile 3) yes i have opened a file before 4) i had downloaded the epub reader and openinh the filea on the device was straight forward. I did not have the option to move to books folder or to epub folder. 5) because of the device i am using the top tips does not apply to me as they are unavailable to do. 6) the error message i am receiving statesbthat the epub reader is not responding and needs to be force closed at all times when accessed. Please note the software on this device is out dated and therefore the application suggested is not useful as it does not install on this device.
@Pranisha Your answers are too unclear to provide support. For #4, it's not clear how you usually open the file. Please provide a more detailed explanation. For #5, it is extremely unclear. If you are an Android, the top tips should apply. The Kindle App and the Nook app are both available from the Play Store. Please provide much more detail in your answers. In #6 you mention "the epub reader", but it is not clear what epub reader you are speaking about. Also, when quoting error messages, please make sure to use quotation marks and provide an exact verbatim quote of the full error message you see.

Is is possible to update the software on your device or use a different device.

---

Arjun_25 wrote:1. Mobi
2. Kindle for Android
6. Can't open file
@Arjun_25 You did not follow the Top Tips. It's not instructed that you simply click on the file in the file manager. Nonetheless, in this particular case, you can get even more specific help in the following topic: Problem: Kindle App won't open .mobi file (Solved) Please go there and post your replies there.

Here are the screenshots:

Phone storage -
Intex Aqua Trend_2017-04-14-06-19-36.png
SD Card -
Intex Aqua Trend_2017-04-14-06-19-29.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

@"Swara Sangeet" It looks like you may have created that folder yourself somehow. The app can't possibly have a completely empty folder. You need to find the app's folder, not create a folder named "kindle". Let me know if this helps.

Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Scott wrote:@"Swara Sangeet" It looks like you may have created that folder yourself somehow. The app can't possibly have a completely empty folder. You need to find the app's folder, not create a folder named "kindle". Let me know if this helps.
I have not created any new folder like that. That was the folder given in my mobile. It had worked previously.

-- 19 Apr 2017, 10:59 --

I tried this again with a new book. I'm sorry to say that it's still not working. I'm considering changing my preferences. Perhaps I'm not compatible with these formats of .epub and .mobi.
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html

Post by Chitopogi »

A few years back, 10 years to be precise, I only used Kindle which can read many formats. But now Kindle only reads books downloaded from Amazon. So I added both Nook and Ice Cream readers for my tablet and smartphones. They're great when I can't import the books I downloaded elsewhere to my Kindle reader. Nook and Ice Cream readers can read mobi, epub, PDF and comics and magazine formats, and many more.. Voila! Problem solved!
Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that I also have a KOBO reader which is also good. But mine doesn't allow book imports. So I have to be satisfied with KOBO's book library. But no worries, because I still have my other Kindle readers and my trusty paperwhite.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Chitopogi wrote:A few years back, 10 years to be precise, I only used Kindle which can read many formats. But now Kindle only reads books downloaded from Amazon. So I added both Nook and Ice Cream readers for my tablet and smartphones. They're great when I can't import the books I downloaded elsewhere to my Kindle reader. Nook and Ice Cream readers can read mobi, epub, PDF and comics and magazine formats, and many more.. Voila! Problem solved!
Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that I also have a KOBO reader which is also good. But mine doesn't allow book imports. So I have to be satisfied with KOBO's book library. But no worries, because I still have my other Kindle readers and my trusty paperwhite.
Thanks for this thoughtful tip. I regret that it didn't work for me.
Lucy Kelly
Currently Reading: The Brendan Voyage
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-kelly.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Lucy Kelly »

Hi Scott,

1. I clicked on epub accidentally. Meant to choose PDF.
2. I did go check out the app, but I have a Kindle fire HD, which is not listed on the devices that would support it. I have never successfully used epub.
The book is Lemoncella Cocktail.
Thanks,
Kelly
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Lucy Kelly wrote:Hi Scott,

1. I clicked on epub accidentally. Meant to choose PDF.
2. I did go check out the app, but I have a Kindle fire HD, which is not listed on the devices that would support it. I have never successfully used epub.
The book is Lemoncella Cocktail.
Thanks,
Kelly
@"Luck Kelly" For assistance, you need to answer ALL the numbered questions in the first post, not just two.

AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Might not be the best place, but I decided to share this anyway. Had a bit of an issue with my latest book which I downloaded as a .doc file. Even when I opened it one my computer it was a bit wonky with lots of blank pages in between. On my ebook reader it wouldn't open at all. Eventually solved it by making another copy as a .docx which worked just fine, but now I'm curios was it just a corrupted file or have people had issues with .doc files before?
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

AliceofX wrote:Might not be the best place, but I decided to share this anyway. Had a bit of an issue with my latest book which I downloaded as a .doc file. Even when I opened it one my computer it was a bit wonky with lots of blank pages in between. On my ebook reader it wouldn't open at all. Eventually solved it by making another copy as a .docx which worked just fine, but now I'm curios was it just a corrupted file or have people had issues with .doc files before?
I haven't had any problem with the .doc files except for a font which was slightly hard for my eyes. Other than that, no problem.
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

1. .mobi

2. Android phone (Firefly Mobile Aurii Secret)

3. I've only opened free sample books from Amazon using the Amazon kindle.

4. First I tried sending the file to my Amazon kindle. Then I received an email message from Amazon saying "
The following document, sent at 09:26 AM on Mon, Apr 24, 2017 GMT could not be delivered to the Kindle you specified: * Ravens-Peak.mobi
"
So, I tried converting the file to doc or pdf using online converters but I couldn't. There's always an error. I also deleted my Amazon kindle to download it again. But now I couldn't download it anymore. I think my free trial has expired so I tried other readers such as eReader Prestigio, Cool Reader and PocketBook. They could open the .mobi file that I've downloaded but it only shows one empty page.

5. This is my first time using Amazon Kindle. I've only had it for a month and I've only been using free sample books from Amazon so I haven't experienced other problems before.

6. Error message from sending email to kindle
"
Dear Customer,

The following document, sent at 09:26 AM on Mon, Apr 24, 2017 GMT could not be delivered to the Kindle you specified:
* Ravens-Peak.mobi

The Kindle Personal Document Service can convert and deliver the following types of documents:
Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx)
Rich Text Format (.rtf)
HTML (.htm, .html)
Text (.txt) documents
Archived documents (zip , x-zip) and compressed archived documents
Mobi book

Images that are of type JPEGs (.jpg), GIFs (.gif), Bitmaps (.bmp), and PNG images (.png).
Adobe PDF (.pdf) documents are delivered without conversion to Kindle DX, Second Generation and Latest Generation Kindles.

Adobe PDF (.pdf) can be converted to Kindle format and delivered on an experimental basis.

If the document that failed belonged to one of the above document types, please ensure the document is not password protected or encrypted. Note that the Latest Generation Kindles support password protected PDFs.
"

7. Yes. I used my phone's file manager to move the file into the 'books' folder of the app. Then I pressed sync to update my Amazon Kindle But I still couldn't find the file there. Like I mentioned above. I've tried using other readers and I was successful at finding the file but it only opens to a single empty page.

I think I've downloaded a corrupt or maybe encrypted file. Can I download another version of the book? If not, can I just cancel my review for that book?

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”