Email Verification Help

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Re: Email Verification Help

Post by Scott »

@bookowlie The problem is with AOL. AOL is sometimes bouncing email to you with no notice to you that you are missing the email.

Most email providers would put the email in a special junk/spam folder. But AOL is simply blocking the emails with no notice to you.

You will want to contact AOL about the problem.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

@Scott The problem appears to have resolved itself. I just received two days of Forum alerts as well as the email verification email.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

@bookowlie It appears to be an intermittent problem with AOL. My guess is that sometimes AOL detects a large amount of emails going out at one time and then marks them as suspected junk/spam because of that. It's not a surprise that it sometimes gets picked up by a junk/spam filter, especially because we have over 140,000 members, and with Book of the Day there are huge bulk emails going out to subscribers. The problem with certain email providers like AOL is that they block email with no notice to the recipient at all that email is blocked and missed. It's likely to re-occur the next time AOL falsely marks the email as junk/spam, which will almost certainly happen.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

nightnurse
Currently Reading: The Last Humans: Oasis
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nightnurse.html
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by nightnurse »

I don'tknow what is going on with this site I had already been verified and have been receiving e-mails from here, I even receive e-mail from your twitter posts
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

nightnurse wrote:I don'tknow what is going on with this site I had already been verified and have been receiving e-mails from here, I even receive e-mail from your twitter posts
@nightnurse For help, please answer all of the questions in the original post in this topic.

If you were verified/subscribed d and become unverified/unsubscribed, that means either you unsubscribed manually yourself by clicking an unsubscribe OR emails to you bounced. In either case, you would simply need to re-verify your email to resubscribe.

Jazzed063
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 31955">The Mozart Conspiracy</a>
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazzed063.html

Post by Jazzed063 »

Hi Scott,
I recently contacted you because my email had changed, but I have not received a reply. What do I need to do? I'd like to get back in the site if possible. Thanks!
Debbie Skripkunis
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Jazzed063 wrote:Hi Scott,
I recently contacted you because my email had changed, but I have not received a reply. What do I need to do? I'd like to get back in the site if possible. Thanks!
Debbie Skripkunis
Hi, Debbie,

You must be logged into the site to post that reply, so it does seem you were able to log in. There is a contact link on every page of the website. If you use the contact form on the website, you should get a reply within 48 hours.

Thank you,
Scott

AYOFUNMI
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by AYOFUNMI »

Still waiting for email verification.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

AYOFUNMI wrote:Still waiting for email verification.
@AYOFUNMI For assistance, you must answer all the numbered questions in the first post in this topic.

bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

@Scott - I just received an automatic private message that my emails are bouncing and that if it's not rectified, my account might be deactivated. Is this for the BOTD subscription only or my entire account?

-- 30 Apr 2017, 14:09 --

This is what it says on the AOL troubleshooting FAQ's -

Additional Troubleshooting for Domain Admins/Email Service Providers
If you're still not able to receive emails sent from a specific sender, please request the sender's email service provider to contact AOL Postmaster.

Note: For more information, please visit the AOL Postmaster website.
Last edited by bookowlie on 30 Apr 2017, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:I just received an automatic private message that my emails are bouncing and that if it's not rectified, my account might be deactivated. Is this for the BOTD subscription only or my entire account?

-- 30 Apr 2017, 14:09 --

This is what it says on the AOL troubleshooting FAQ's -

Additional Troubleshooting for Domain Admins/Email Service Providers
If you're still not able to receive emails sent from a specific sender, please request the sender's email service provider to contact AOL Postmaster.

Note: For more information, please visit the AOL Postmaster website.
I will tag @"Scott" for you.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

@Gali @Scott Thanks Gali. I do receive other types of OBC emails such as a response to an error report for a review book. I can understand if my BOTD subscription might get deactivated, but I have been a member for a long time and it seems overly harsh to have my entire account potentially deactivated over this. I have had intermitten problems with receiving alerts about posts, PM's, etc. in the past, but have never before received a PM telling me my account might be deactivated.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

bookowlie wrote:@Gali @Scott Thanks Gali. I do receive other types of OBC emails such as a response to an error report for a review book. I can understand if my BOTD subscription might get deactivated, but I have been a member for a long time and it seems overly harsh to have my entire account potentially deactivated over this. I have had intermitten problems with receiving alerts about posts, PM's, etc. in the past, but have never before received a PM telling me my account might be deactivated.
@bookowlie If the account was deactivated, it would actually just be to require re-verification of the email. In other words, you would just need to click have special verification link sent to your email address and then click that link to verify the email works. That would show the email is working again.

Part of the problem is that email providers like AOL are more likely to block emails from a sender (OnlineBookClub) if the sender sends many emails that get bounced, namely to email addresses that don't exist. So if we don't deactivate non-working email addresses it makes the problem even worse. But you would be able to instantly re-activate the account on your own if that happened by re-verifying the email. Also, the bounce count is reset as soon as you re-activate your Book of the Day subscription so that will solve the problem before the entire account gets deactivated pending re-verification.

I'm very sorry for the trouble and inconvenience.

I have no idea why some email providers like AOL choose to bounce suspected junk mail instead of putting it in a junk folder, or at least giving the receiver the option to whitelist the sender somehow.

bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

@Scott - Thanks for the additional info, although I am not too happy that my account might be temporarily de-activated. The Online Book Club email that I receive alerts from is on my list of contacts/address list. I also contacted AOL, but have not heard back from them yet.

-- 01 May 2017, 20:48 --

@Scott - I received an email reply from AOL Support today. The customer rep asked a series of questions such as did I receive emails from this sender previously (yes), when did the problem start, etc. She also asked if the sender (you) are getting an error or bounce message and to provide the exact text of that message. Is that something you can give me so I can pass it along?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I will tag @"Scott" for you.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”