What is your most memorable encounter with your father?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Camogirl217
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camogirl217.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Re: What is your most memorable encounter with your father?

Post by Camogirl217 »

My dad and I have very similar personalities, so we can complain about things that are bothering us and be completely on the same page.
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

I can't really decide which moment with my daddy was the most memorable, especially now that he's gone. One memory leads to another that makes me smile just the same. One of my favorites is Christmas. Every day we'd watch the 25 days of Christmas together, eat cookies and milk, and laugh. He was such a kid inside. On Christmas day he was up early like the rest of us and always made us laugh and smile. He wasn't around as much as we'd like, given he was a truck driver and then pasted away of cancer when I was 16. That just makes every memory memorable, even the "bad" ones.
It's Always Worth the Read.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I was thinking more about this, and another fond memory I have with my father is every time he provided me with some advice. Since, most times, he was correct in his way of thinking, I always joked that he could 'predict the future'. Of course, this wasn't the case. I learned that, through experience, he was able to instill me the difference between right and wrong. More importantly, he showed me what common sense is and how to apply it to everyday life. I will always be appreciative of this.

Ah, dads are the best! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by classicaltwist »

It was during the summer and my dad called me and my brother out to the backyard. Now, my dad is a really serious guy, very stoic. We thought for sure that we were in trouble for something. The second we step onto the back porch, he just sprays us with the hose. My brother and I were in complete shock as it was very out of character for my dad. My brother and I spent at least an hour laughing and chasing my dad around while he continued spraying us. Very fond memory for me since it's not often that my dad lets loose like that.
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

I have a lot of good memories of my dad. One of the ones that stands out the most is how he would dress up as Santa, the day after Christmas. He would go to the houses of kids and ask if they had gotten what they wished for. What made this so funny was the fact that my dad was only 5'4" and weighed, maybe 120 soaking wet. It never failed to put a smile on those children's faces.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Christina O Phillips wrote:The majority of my memories of my biological father are all negative so rather than post any of those, I will instead post about my stepfather:

I have a lot of good memories of him, but some of my favorite moments are staying up late when my husband and I visit my parents (my mom and stepdad) and he and I watch all the horror movies that we love including the classics and the cheesy ones.
It's nice to know that you have your stepdad who took the responsibility of your biological father.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

dhomespot wrote:I have a lot of good memories of my dad. One of the ones that stands out the most is how he would dress up as Santa, the day after Christmas. He would go to the houses of kids and ask if they had gotten what they wished for. What made this so funny was the fact that my dad was only 5'4" and weighed, maybe 120 soaking wet. It never failed to put a smile on those children's faces.
Haha, Santa on a diet! That is great.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
ReadandRoll[
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: There are several
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... nbroken</a>
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower IV
Bookshelf Size: 550
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReadandRoll[ »

Trout fishing when I was a young boy.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

ReadandRoll[ wrote:Trout fishing when I was a young boy.
I always wanted to go fishing with my dad. The problem is, neither one of us knows how. The closest we came to fishing together was in this video game whose title I can't remember. It was still nice bonding time though.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
reneareviews
Currently Reading: mindfulness: a journal
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneareviews.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by reneareviews »

I actually lost my dad at 8 months and then my mother remarried when I was 8. My stepdad truly is my dad though. Things were rocky because I wasn't used to having a father. One day, we were at one of his softball games with the church league and some boy was bullying me. I don't even remember what rude thing he said to me, but I remember I was ready to just blow it off. My dad heard it from where he was standing (the spot where you wait when you're the next batter?) and walked over mid-game to tell the little boy kindly that he was rude and needed to leave me alone. I think that's when I realized my step-dad only ever did anything to protect me. All the new rules he brought into our household were to keep me safe.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

reneareviews wrote:I actually lost my dad at 8 months and then my mother remarried when I was 8. My stepdad truly is my dad though. Things were rocky because I wasn't used to having a father. One day, we were at one of his softball games with the church league and some boy was bullying me. I don't even remember what rude thing he said to me, but I remember I was ready to just blow it off. My dad heard it from where he was standing (the spot where you wait when you're the next batter?) and walked over mid-game to tell the little boy kindly that he was rude and needed to leave me alone. I think that's when I realized my step-dad only ever did anything to protect me. All the new rules he brought into our household were to keep me safe.
That is an amazing memory and your step-dad is an amazing man. I love that from the very beginning he just wanted to protect and cherish you. Thank God you and your mother were blessed to have this man come into your lives and I'm sure you two were a blessing to him as well.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Books_are_Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 940
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-are-life.html
Latest Review: The Gryphon by Paula Grover
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Books_are_Life »

Mine kinda happen recently but i know I will never forget it. Little backstory I am wheelchair bound. For my wedding no one had really the time for us to learn how to dance with me in a wheelchair so no formal dancing was planed. My father surprised me at the last song of the night he asked me to dance. We basically just swayed around but he sang the words to the song to me so only I heard him. I never thought I would get my father/daughter dance but I did and it was the most special dance ever.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Books_are_Life wrote:Mine kinda happen recently but i know I will never forget it. Little backstory I am wheelchair bound. For my wedding no one had really the time for us to learn how to dance with me in a wheelchair so no formal dancing was planed. My father surprised me at the last song of the night he asked me to dance. We basically just swayed around but he sang the words to the song to me so only I heard him. I never thought I would get my father/daughter dance but I did and it was the most special dance ever.
This is a very touching moment. It made me shiver because it reminds me of my favorite song, "Dance with my Father". Thank you for sharing this wonderful moment.

-- 12 Apr 2017, 18:42 --
classicaltwist wrote:It was during the summer and my dad called me and my brother out to the backyard. Now, my dad is a really serious guy, very stoic. We thought for sure that we were in trouble for something. The second we step onto the back porch, he just sprays us with the hose. My brother and I were in complete shock as it was very out of character for my dad. My brother and I spent at least an hour laughing and chasing my dad around while he continued spraying us. Very fond memory for me since it's not often that my dad lets loose like that.
Wow! This is a unique experience with your dad. Maybe your dad is intellectual. A scientist or something that is why he is that serious. Catch his light moments.
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

My dad was my best audience! When I was in high school in the 60's I was playing my guitar and singing First of May by the BeeGees which just got released in Manila. I sung it over and over again until it felt perfect. My dad worked for the US Air Force in Wake Island and he was on vacation when he heard me singing the song. When he went back to the AF base, there was a competition as to who can sing First Of May the best. And he won!
He told me that story 30 yeas later. And it made me proud.
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman

Post by christinac_2585 »

I think my most memorable time(s) with my dad is when he would take us out on the boat when I was a child. He worked as a tug boat captain and would be gone for two to three weeks at a time and when he came home he always took me out on the boat.
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”